Orange Crush

Soldato
OP
I think I am good dude. Bit of frenching needed... This will be painted case colour.

So scan.

dkuPAJF.png

BMcIuzr.png

And then.

haATmGs.png

To get this.

BerpFKW.png

Machine X4 and plastic weld. Then sand.

bCTTO5G.png

And.

kkfi9pD.png

Soldato
That I do. When I can hear again and stop drowning in my own juices, I'll get to it. Bonus of 3D printing is that you can do it sitting down even when like something the cat regurgitated. Besides, you made the fatal mistake of saying that one wasn't urgent! :p

Soldato
OP
Cracked out the JB weld quick and began the frenching process. Reeks of fish so it’s been scolded and made to sit in the spare room for the night.

Will probably bust out the files tomorrow. Even though it sets fast it’s still not workable for 24 hours.

I’m just happy that unlike painting a bike there is no restoration or prep needed. Like literally nothing. Just etch prime and paint.

Lots of actual layer prepping like flatting and removing peel but yeah, nothing much more than that.

Soldato
OP
OK well that didn't go well.

The JB had not set correctly, god knows why, and a lot of it peeled. The sides frenched in perfectly though. Back needs some work. Oh and ignore the top, once the handle goes on you can't see the step. Rubber washers will be ordered.

I then had a rush of blood and decided to put some paint on as I could not see how it really looked. This was kinda stupid, as I did not remove the gasket or the IO board etc. Oh well, isoprop it will have to be. But, it seems my anger at the paint coming out like crap through a goose was unwarranted, as it dried nice. Remember, this is just a test area.

5Kk7Qxn.png

Needs a tiny bit more tinkering, but pretty much there.

Soldato
OP
Extensions were out of stock. So I found these. They are for a CM PSU but it doesn't matter I will just depin and reuse them on my plugs. With the bonus being I don't have to cut them or put any pins on, and I will get a full set. Not bad for £40.

svZXlnW.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK not done sod all because human malware. Did a little today, though.

Fitted the cooler and replaced the broken RAM latches with ones taken from an old board I found.

lZFTk6y.png

So the only thing wrong with it now is the single missing (it snapped off) USB3 header pin. Doesn't matter, not using it any way.

rdmRXtb.png

I also began the wiring. I got a bit annoyed at this, as it seems the Cooler Master PSU this was made for has a ton of double wires on the 24 pin. I started tossing them to one side, moaning and mumbling. And then I realised the entire 8 and 6 pin uses 6 double wires. Gosh, I shouldn't have complained lol. I just stole 6 single ones from a 6 pin to replace them with.

eheMBlR.png

So we now have.... One 24 pin that will work on the ITX PSU, one 8 pin into 6+8 pin PCIE for the GPU and one 8 pin EPS. That only leaves one SATA run to be done and a Molex run. That was almost too easy......

Soldato
OP
Weather stopped play. And I have a feeling it will just continue to do so.

As such I am ditching this case.

I mean, the paint can't be done any time soon but that is OK. It's just not a good case to build into. It's cramped, badly, and I would have to cut it around a lot. I also want the PC working like, now, for reasons I shall explain....

Basically I have 3 PCs. One at mum's (3950x and 6900XT Toxic) and then two at home. One desk PC (12700K and 6800XT Strix LC) and then my TV gaming PC (11700k on TEC with a 6950XT). Any way, you will note a common theme.. They all have AMD big Navi in, as £ to perf they won every time. As such there are certain games that do not play ball at all with big Navi. Like, old games. I guess AMD have never gone back and made them work properly with old games. Thing is? I really, REALLY want to play through FONV again. I have it on Xbox disc (originally for the 360 but does work fine on my 1x). The problem is because Bethesda knobbed Obsidian so badly the game was never updated beyond making it work. What I mean is, it never got any 4k textures on console and the settings were left as they were. IE, the draw distance and AA etc. FO3 had all of that made better for later consoles, NV did not. As such for the best experience you need to play it on PC (where it does have stock 4k textures) and of course you can mod it. Problem is none of my 3 PCs will run it. It judders, then just outright crashes, and none of the mod fixes made it any better. So I am putting it down to big Navi not being sorted for the game.

So, that means Nvidia. And the only Nvidia card I have is the 980Ti for this build.

Sooo... First thing I did was dig my Q58 out of the loft.

xOHM94k.jpg

It has been emptied since then obs. But, it is a modern ITX case and thus it is way easier to build in. I will paint it in the same way, but for now I just want it built. Just one problem, the cooler I bought for a tenner won't work. Thing is? this one will look way better any way.

zpCfdn2.jpg

I also finished the wiring yesterday, and now have a quad SATA power run and triple Molex. Doubt I will need the latter, but hey it needs a full set. Cooler comes tomorrow, hoping to get it running by the weekend.

Soldato
OP
Had another idea to make my life easier.

I remembered that Lian Li sold extra mesh panels. This is because they knew the glass ones made it a hot box. So, I was down to buy a couple more. Then the idea hit me. Why not buy white ones (two lots, so all the case) and then I don't have to try painting mesh (which is hard at best, given it blocks easily with thicker spray paints).

So aye, two sets ordered.

ePrpqHU.png

Soldato
OP
Update.

So I finished the cabling. IE the SATA runs and Molex. The Molex isn't needed, maybe never, but I did it any way. At least this way the PSU has its original full set of cables. I then fitted the PSU. Note - there are no cable ties, and I have given 0 Fs to wiring as it all needs to come out. I did manage to cram two SSDs in though, so plenty of storage !

YTUaAyD.jpg

Fitted the GPU. No cuts and no bending the case to get it in either. Remember, she's in drag. She's really a 980Ti lol

NBZhNQe.jpg

I then created a hacked Win 11 installer using Rufus, disabled TPM and all that rubbish and installed 10. This all went very well.

I present, the temporary skunk.

gRr8lmZ.jpg

And I was indeed correct, FONV runs beautifully on the Nvidia GPU.

Right, back in spring when the weather isn't total anus and I can get my paint on.

Back
Top Bottom