Ordered theee 20tb Hard drives, last one is different/white label?

Soldato
But the third one is different? White Label?
On the first two drives the seagate warranty shows 2027. This white label one says its being broken down from a larger system. Bought from a competitior same page, about 3 days apart. I was kind of expecting the third to be the same as the first two. Technically the listing has "OEM" in title and 5 years "return to base warranty"

Should I be concerned? Is this any different than my first two? Is the last one lesser quality?

Last edited:
Associate
White label drives like that are usually the type sent to system builders (for servers and external drive systems etc.)

Associate
Assuming the part number matches between the drive and the others then it's just a different (cheaper I guess) label and all will conform to or exceed the specs for that part number.

Seatage print a note about products being recertified if that is applicable.

Edit: deleted an errant space

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Assuming the part number matches between the drive and the others then it's just a different (cheaper I guess) label and all will conform to or exceed the specs for that part number.

Seatage print a note about products being recertified if that is applicable.

Edit: deleted an errant space
On unraid the serial number and firm ware all match up completely. I'll double check with the seller its not a refurb or one that didn't make the cut etc and if so keep it then. Ultimately its got the same 5 year warranty. :)

Soldato
OP
The other two I got where the label is green like the one I incorrectly posted has the manufacturing date Feb this year. The third one, the white label one is from December 2022. Its all quite strange tbh, considering it was from the same page/listing from a big competitor.

Associate
That's a good point, warranty should start from the date of sale IIRC, perhaps you have to register with Seagate using the receipt to normalise the warranty date?

Soldato
OP
That's a good point, warranty should start from the date of sale IIRC, perhaps you have to register with Seagate using the receipt to normalise the warranty date?
The first two drives has the warranty at 5 years from June 2024 so covered there. The white label it says its being broken down from a larger sale and to contact the vendor for warranty (no dates given).

Soldato
OP
The competitor said it was completely normal for a OEM listing, even though the first two drives had the green and black label and were manufactured more recently. They did offer to refund it but it seems in all appearances to be new. Not sure if it's worth the hassle to send it back.

Soldato
OP
Iv got white labels in the past, they are usually recertified drives

I think in the case of Seagate they tell you. I received another one from a different competitor today and it was also white label. All of them are advertised as new so I'm not worried anymore, seems there's more white labels for these exos drives than green/black. :)

Soldato
A bit of googling suggests EXOS drives made for OEM in 2022 were white labelled.

This shows the difference in label to a recertified drive - https://datablocks.dev/blogs/news/white-label-vs-recertified-drives - this then does however suggest recertified, and i cant link to the first thing that says about the white label for OEM as it was a shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A bit of googling suggests EXOS drives made for OEM in 2022 were white labelled.

This shows the difference in label to a recertified drive - https://datablocks.dev/blogs/news/white-label-vs-recertified-drives - this then does however suggest recertified, and i cant link to the first thing that says about the white label for OEM as it was a shop.
It does seem a bit of a mystery as two competitors sending out white label, but surely if they were recertified it would have to be disclosed to the customer? That link says you are chosing between price and warranty, but both competitors have a 5 year warranty for these drives. I think your onto something with the 2022 year though as both white label drives have the same manufacting date of December 2022.

I guess ultimately, the 5 year warranty is the most important thing. I'll have a look see if theres something I can launch in Unraid that tells me anything more. I know the serial numbers and firmwares all matched with the green label made this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So all 6 of my drives have now being received. All Seagate Exos 20tb. They are as follows;

Retailer 1: Advertised as New OEM 5 year warranty.. One Green label, One white label.
Retailer 2: Advertised as New. 5 year Warranty. One White Label.
Retailer 3: Advertised as New. 5 Year Warranty. Three Green labels.

So in total 4 greens, two whites.

Seems like total chance if bought in the UK. All seem New. From looking at manufacturing dates the new drives are Green labels. They say its good to have a mix of batches/manufacturing dates, so as long as Warranty hold up, no worries.

Back
Top Bottom