** OUR SECOND 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Asa

Asa

Associate
Got this bundle ordered this morning. I gather it'll be worth getting https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-hyper-m.2-x4-pci-e-mini-adapter-card-black-pcb-hd-032-as.html to get the most out of the SSD.

Also whacking in some components from my old build:
-An R9-295x and 1 or 2 R9-290s (should just about suffice for my "work" PC)
-Possibly a Xonar D2 PCI card. Any reliable PCI-E - PCI adapters? Does the onboard creative hardware and software suite support Dobly Digitial Live?

Any other advice from people that have already got this kit would be great!

Associate
Will there been another deal on this any time soon?

I was unlucky this morning got it in my basket at the £720 just about to pay had to add new credit card and it jumped back up to £940 with me depressing the pay button :( which is out of my price range. Tried ringing to see if they would be able to honour the price as that was the original price in my basket but was unable to get through :(

Associate
I bought this deal on Monday for £720
Seems like a good deal with the included ssd, shame the motherboard won't allow full performance with the half speed M2 but I think practically it won't make much difference.

I was originally planning a skylake build but this seemed like better value and they should be very similar in performance.

I'll set it all up on the bench to test then it will bb fitted into a custom case that I'm building with a custom water loop, but the supplied cooler looks pretty good for the interim.

I'm sure ill bb back with loads of questions, this is my first Intel build for myself since pentium 3 450bx :D

Soldato
I was going to post on the black friday thread but i guess this one is actually the official one for this combo.

Has anyone found any reason to install the newer beta bios on the mobo, or are you just sticking with the 1.0 bios?

also i see there are some newer mobo drivers, i suppose i should put them on...

PS I was playing my 1st game on my new rig last night. Elite Dangerous, it has some of the best audio i have heard in a game, and I have to say WOW!!! I never had a reason to question the quality of the sound of my onboard asus P8P67 mobo with my old sandy i5 rig, but the sound blaster sound on this mobo..

it blew me away!. stunning! :)

Soldato
It's pretty standard to upgrade the mobo BIOS as they often contain fixes for CPU microcode and RAM compatibility aiding OC stability more than anything else.

I must try the onboard sound sometime seeing as I paid for it but using an external USB DAC/AMP with head phones appeals to the lazy in me. Plug in, switch on, just works!

Soldato
Has anyone found any reason to install the newer beta bios on the mobo, or are you just sticking with the 1.0 bios?

also i see there are some newer mobo drivers, i suppose i should put them on...

PS I was playing my 1st game on my new rig last night. Elite Dangerous, it has some of the best audio i have heard in a game, and I have to say WOW!!! I never had a reason to question the quality of the sound of my onboard asus P8P67 mobo with my old sandy i5 rig, but the sound blaster sound on this mobo..

it blew me away!. stunning! :)

I updated the bios to the latest "f2" because with the original, I could not get into the bios with the SSD on the Hyper adapter, when pressing Del.

I grabbed all the latest drivers from the Gigabyte support page, but the only one that would not install was Intel RST, but at the time I only had the SSD connected.

The step up in performance is mind blowing, even at stock speeds, while I swear the onboard Sound Blaster chip is better than the previously used Asus Xonar DGX. :)

Soldato
Bios and drivers updated now running at the warrantied overclock.

Are you guys really running at full fan speed? My temps are OK on full but Christ it is loud. It would not be OK for watching a quiet film........ Am tempted just for the minimum overclock to try running fans of the default level and just putting up to full for the higher ocs.

What do you reckon?.

Also....... That wattage on the turbo power limit... is it really meant to be 4090 watts?

Cheers

Edit currently running stress test at minimum warrantied speed with fans on normal but voltage on 1.15
I watched it for 1st hash check which passed. Its much quieter at this level. I will still push it for different profiles once I am happy this is stable but for now 4125 is going to be just fine for every day use imo.

Just need dx12 to make use of all those cores now ;)

Edit 2 stress test passed on the lower voltage. Temps hit 76 on normal fan speed tho the room ambient temps were only 19 degrees. In summer I may need to up the speed or try to cut the voltage more.

Going to try the other 2 profiles tomorrow (today at time of edit) as well as 4.5ghz just for fun if the others work

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I would find my max overclock at a nice safe voltage then slow your fans to a more comfortable level and see if it's stable.
If your not temperature limited but voltage limited then you can get away with higher temps hence slower fans. I doubt any of us will really notice the difference between 4.1 and 4.5 in daily use or games

I think the reason the power limit is so high is that essentially turns this feature off.

Associate
Go back to stock first to see if issue is overclock related.

It wouldn't allow me to go back into bios, it did give me a repair option which I did and now I can get back into windows and the bios.

It has reset everything though(almost like a new build) I'm back in BIOS and back at stock.

Worried to try again :(:confused:

I will wait for your advice on the next step please 8pack

Last edited:
Soldato
disaster has struck :(

no idea why, pc was flawless at the base promised speed, I even had the voltage down at 1.15v, pushed it to 1.2 v and 4.25GHZ and again it was flawless. I rebooted after running stablility tests and installing steam... deciding enough was enough I wanted to stick at the slower, cooler and quieter speed, and got a boot failure

no matter what I do, I can load the promised settings taken from this thread, I have tried my super quiet settings, & the 4.25G profile, and they all fail to boot.

booting into "optimised" settings works ok however, but who wants to run at stock?

I am going to try clearing the cmos and starting from scratch but other than that, any ideas? I am worried even if ocuk say send it back, they may get it working, after all it has been flawless for me for 2 days overclocked.

thanks.

edit.... vuvuzela, that is my experience exactly.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is memory issue on both counts. Cant pass memory training gives that red screen.

Try the overclock settings on the 125 strap but with stock mems so no XMP.

I am back! thanks for that.

so the memory is now at 2666 is that right? any way to get xmp back on and get it running at rated speed?

if not no bother

thanks

edit @Vuvuzela, yeah that is what I did, just disabled it. the memory was at 2666, and it fired up. I got hold of the newest bios, and it seems layed or a little different than on the guide, and indeed, I couldn't change it to 3000 even if I wanted to (though I did not try too hard to be honest)

Last edited:
Associate
I am back! thanks for that.

so the memory is now at 2666 is that right? any way to get xmp back on and get it running at rated speed?

if not no bother

thanks

edit @vuvuzela, yeah that is what I did, just disabled it. the memory was at 2666, and it fired up. I got hold of the newest bios, and it seems layed or a little different than on the guide, and indeed, I couldn't change it to 3000 even if I wanted to (though I did not try too hard to be honest)

Really not winning with this....

Reset everything and started again. I set the CPU clock ratio to 33 and the CPU frequency says 3.3 not 4.12 like the photo?? I followed eveything else like the guide and then booted. Didn't get the boot failure error(something worked) and managed to log into windows but then the pc keeps freezing now, what ever I try launch i.e. chrome, steam, ......slowly giving up:(

OcUK Staff
Follow the guide. But set the memory to default speed not 3000 so 2133. Try again. I am almost certain the memory is the issue. So XMP. Then go to memory frequency and go 2666mhz. Also you can try run 3000mhz with my settings plus VL4 1.55, VL5 1.45, VL6 1.45. These are OC socket settings and help when Overclocking memory on X99 CPU. Also system agent at +0.25 can also help drive the memory high and stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom