Over-rated / terrible movies?

Soldato
I did not care for the Godfather, didn't like it and Couldn't get into it. It just insists upon its self.

I’ve always found Godfather 2 over rated very much preferring the first one. I’ve never taken to it despite being a big fan of the films.

The Godfather films. Grade A 'meh' from me and I like those style of films.

Completely agree about the Godfather films.
Another one is Pulp Fiction. Apparently the 8th best movie of all time on IMDB. Wow.
I don't really take issue with any others in the IMDB top 50 except for these. EDIT: Apart from all of the LOTR films as below.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lord of the rings films as well. I remember how much my mates used to obsess about these movies and I somehow escaped watching any of them until only a few years ago for some reason. What a slog of a watch.

I hope you mean the recent series. The films are absolute masterpieces. The Hobbit films were pretty poor however.

Masterpieces lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Completely agree about the Godfather films.
Another one is Pulp Fiction. Apparently the 8th best movie of all time on IMDB. Wow.
I don't really take issue with any others in the IMDB top 50 except for these. EDIT: Apart from all of the LOTR films as below.
Pulp Fiction is one of the best films ever made. A true classic. It's one of the best plots and dialogue of any film, ever.

Soldato
Much like everything by Tarantino, I thought it was an overrated pile of crap

Woah........

Although......

I disagree with you on Pulp Fiction, and certainly Reservoir Dogs which I think is the best movie he made, and is a really good movie in its own right, 8/10 at least for me.

But .....

I'll actually agree with you a lot of his movies are not amazing. I didn't get Jackie Brown at all, Dusk Till dawn was great until it went vampire (wtf?) and most of the more modern cowboy or western ones (Hateful 8/Django) are just average at best.

I fell asleep in Kill Bill and the second one was pretty dire.

Soldato
Much like everything by Tarantino, I thought it was an overrated pile of crap
Nah. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are superb. Everything else by Tarantino is pretty damn awful. As an aside I also highly rate True Romance directed by Tony Scott who bought the script from Tarantino.

Soldato
Woah........

Although......

I disagree with you on Pulp Fiction, and certainly Reservoir Dogs which I think is the best movie he made, and is a really good movie in its own right, 8/10 at least for me.

But .....

I'll actually agree with you a lot of his movies are not amazing. I didn't get Jackie Brown at all, Dusk Till dawn was great until it went vampire (wtf?) and most of the more modern cowboy or western ones (Hateful 8/Django) are just average at best.

I fell asleep in Kill Bill and the second one was pretty dire.

Until it went Vampire?

It's a vampire film how was it supposed to go?

:cry:

Soldato
I think a lot of it is timing, when in life you manage to watch a film.

I watched the Alien films way after that were released (think maybe 5 years or so ago?) so wasn't that impressed by them. Ironically, the one I found most palatable was the one most people hated, the third in the series. Perhaps they're just a bit dated now and so many action/sci fi films have been out since, it's hard not to compare. Predator is a lot better but then again I watched it when I was a lot younger.

Last edited:
Associate
What you gotta appreciate is when I started watching it, I literally knew nothing about the movie.

It starts with the two of them trying to cross the border into Mexico so figured it was just another gangster movie.
Same here. When the vampire part started I was so surprised. :D
Still one of my favourites films.

Soldato
Ackchyually, Not to be all nitpicky but From Dusk Till Dawn isnt a Tarantino film, it was directed by Robert Rodriguez
As far as I can remember didn't QT do this 1st road movie part and then when it got to the 'Breast' Twister it was when Rodriguez took over?

Selma Hayek dancing with the snake is worth the entrance fee alone!!!!!

Associate
Nah. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are superb. Everything else by Tarantino is pretty damn awful. As an aside I also highly rate True Romance directed by Tony Scott who bought the script from Tarantino.

I came here to meekly mention Reservoir Dogs. I struggle to get it even though I think I should.

Pulp Fiction I really enjoy, as well as his last 4 films, particularly Hateful Eight. Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bills have never done it for me.

Soldato
I came here to meekly mention Reservoir Dogs. I struggle to get it even though I think I should.

Pulp Fiction I really enjoy, as well as his last 4 films, particularly Hateful Eight. Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bills have never done it for me.
I've always viewed Reservoir Dogs as a play adapted for the big screen which is why feels so different from your average film. Tarantino's early film scripts (Res Dogs, Pulp Fiction and True Romance) are all pretty much plays. There's an incredible amount of truly excellent and quotable dialogue in all of them which doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. Perfect example is above - his later films are poor as they lack the sharp dialogue and are overly long.

Back
Top Bottom