Password managers

Soldato
Looking at this list, it seems some sites allow using a passkey as a form of MFA, didn't realise you could do that.

Yeah, I hate that. If I'm putting in a user and pass, *then* a passkey what's the point? The passkey is more than capable of performing all three functions in one go - nobody's conceivably gonna have my passkey, so just let me in without the extra hoops. It's security theatre.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I hate that. If I'm putting in a user and pass, *then* a passkey what's the point? The passkey is more than capable of performing all three functions in one go - nobody's conceivably gonna have my passkey, so just let me in without the extra hoops. It's security theatre.
Ha, same. I logged into Paypal this morning and used my passkey. It then asked for an MFA code...

Soldato
Ha, same. I logged into Paypal this morning and used my passkey. It then asked for an MFA code...

iu

Associate
Don't get me started on paypal, absolute pain in the ass of a company to login to, if I use Face ID why the hell do I need to use a passkey as well, never used to be like that with them. If only Face ID is good enough to login to my bank, credit card or anyone else then it should be good enough for them.

Man of Honour
Don't get me started on paypal, absolute pain in the ass of a company to login to, if I use Face ID why the hell do I need to use a passkey as well, never used to be like that with them. If only Face ID is good enough to login to my bank, credit card or anyone else then it should be good enough for them.
I sent some money today, I can't remember the exact chain of events but it went something like:

Sign in on web using passkey, wanted MFA, put that in. Go to send money, it then wanted me to approve it on my phone app, log into that but FaceID wasn't working or something so had to do username/password and finally MFA as I couldn't see a passkey option.

It's the same as work, I have to do MFA sign in multiple times a day. From the same company controlled Mac, on the company VPN, with the same home IP.

Soldato
@ChrisD. @Rainmaker Dunno whether you're into PlayStations but Sony sent out an email yesterday stating they support passkeys. They actually did the thing properly! I enabled it, in turn Sony disabled my password along with MFA. Logging in via 1Password is super quick now.
Going to give this a go, I'm surprised Sony jumped on it so fast considering their 2FA was text based...

Associate
Got a good deal (through old employee) on nord a while ago, been using the vpn element but over the weekend decided to move everything over to nordpass, only been a day or 2 now, bit of effort going through every site I've ever signed up for 1 by 1 but it's done now, we shall see how it goes in the long run.

Associate
Honestly couldn't tell you, company I used to work for has some good discounts for various things, I was looking for a vpn, checked the work app, nordvpn had the better deal on it So I bought it, ended up getting the 2 year subscription and got nordpass bundled along with it.

Soldato
I don't use password managers aside from what's built into MS Edge, it's at a point if I manually get asked for a password I will have to reset it. But password managers storing passwords online seems a bit sketchy also.

Man of Honour
I don't use password managers aside from what's built into MS Edge, it's at a point if I manually get asked for a password I will have to reset it. But password managers storing passwords online seems a bit sketchy also.
Where do you think MS Edge stores it?

Soldato
So far so good with Proton Pass and importing from Bitwarden, few websites that it's not detecting the login form to autofill (i.e no icon appearing) that Bitwarden does detect and fill.

I know you posted this a while ago now but how has your experience been?
Considering moving from Dashlane to Proton Pass, as use Protonmail anyway

Back
Top Bottom