Password managers

Associate
I've been using Dashlane for a number of years now and never had any problems with it personally. I find it invaluable now and wouldn't go without it personally especially if you match it with a yubikey.

I have been using Dashlane for the last year and about to renew, very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. Only niggle is sometimes it can be a bit too keen to autocomplete a form but you can always just turn it off for particular sites.

Associate
I have been using KeePass on an external USB drive to store passwords. I'm not really up to date, is this still okay security wise?

Similar to me. Don't see why it wouldn't be secure. No known issues with KeePass that I'm aware of, and all else being equal, an offline manager has to be more secure than anything that integrates into a browser.

Permabanned
My biggest gripe with most of the major password managers is how every time you click a new field they're so keen to have you auto fill a form which then means authenticating yourself etc etc, I wish they was just a little bit more smart in that regard

Soldato
My biggest gripe with most of the major password managers is how every time you click a new field they're so keen to have you auto fill a form which then means authenticating yourself etc etc, I wish they was just a little bit more smart in that regard
How about not using the password manager browser extension - but letting the browser remember the passwords instead?
So the password manager is just a tool for multi-device password storage, not a form-filling tool.

Last edited:
Soldato
My thinking is that not having anything internet connected for my password storage (browser or online) is more secure.
How secure is the physical location, though? When you store passwords in "the cloud" you not only get soft protection (encryption) but also hard (physical) security protection. With actual 24/7 security guards.

Associate
How secure is the physical location, though? When you store passwords in "the cloud" you not only get soft protection (encryption) but also hard (physical) security protection. With actual 24/7 security guards.
I don't think anyone will be physically breaking in to steal my passwords. They may fancy physically breaking in to steal millions of users passwords at a data centre though.

Soldato
If you backup your KeePass password database to cloud storage, assuming you memorise the cloud storage login, you can download the password database in a pinch.

Yes my sarcastic question was in response to
My thinking is that not having anything internet connected for my password storage (browser or online) is more secure.
As to log in anywhere that isn't home would require you to download your password database from the cloud.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Protonpass news:

They have undergone a full external security audit, and fixed everything found bar 1 thing on android.

The code is now fully open source.

In addition new features:

Can now store credit cards in Proton Pass.

2FA code autofill

Generated password history.

Improved importers make it easier to import from other password managers.

Can now unlock Proton Pass conveniently from a website’s login page without opening the Proton Pass browser extension.

Soldato
Protonpass news:

They have undergone a full external security audit, and fixed everything found bar 1 thing on android.

The code is now fully open source.

*Snip*

Kindai, if I may ask, have you used 1Password? If so, how would you compare it with Proton Pass? More or less the same? Also, in order to access a Proton Pass vault on a new system, what sort of information do you need? For 1Password, you need the following:

Email Address,
Secret Key,
Master Password,
Two-Factor Authentication (optional),
How does this compare with Proton Pass? I use Proton Mail so I am just wondering whether it's worth switching over to Proton Pass as well. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom