Patriot PS-100

Soldato
Would this be good for a boot drive? Solely for xp and a few graphic applications and the odd game?

It'll be great, the 4k scores arn't at the level of other SSD's, but still better than a Velociraptor.

Looks to be a good buy, though you may want to keep an eye out for the upcoming kingston 30GB ssd's that have TRIM support and should be a similar price (or lower)

Hopefully some more comprehensive reviews will be done on the Phison controller and we can get a feeling for how much it degrades over time.

Associate
£ per GB, the X25-V is better value and supports TRIM (don't think the patriot do yet), having said that, I still can't decide, and they're all too expensive :D

Soldato
It'll be great, the 4k scores arn't at the level of other SSD's, but still better than a Velociraptor.

Looks to be a good buy, though you may want to keep an eye out for the upcoming kingston 30GB ssd's that have TRIM support and should be a similar price (or lower)

Hopefully some more comprehensive reviews will be done on the Phison controller and we can get a feeling for how much it degrades over time.

Wll I'm looking for something better then an old 80gb Hitachi Deskstar and something waaay quieter. These Kingstons sound good, do you have a model number for these drives?

Soldato
Wll I'm looking for something better then an old 80gb Hitachi Deskstar and something waaay quieter. These Kingstons sound good, do you have a model number for these drives?

Not yet, they were announced at CES but i'm yet to see them on the market.

Associate
All the customer reviews on a certain site say these are awful..
some say they are getting 40mbps in Raid 0 and to avoid them,
Patriot are saying new firmware to come.

Last edited:
Associate
Just seen these elsewhere for just under £59 !!

40Gb/ps would be amazing! I'd need a better CPU to make the most of it tho, and how do you do that with SATA?

Associate
i've taken the plunge as i've been waiting for ssd's to come down to a reasonable price just hope i don't regret it, hopefully the new fw improves things, will report back when it turns up :)

Associate
That link is much appreciated vail3r, ta :)

I'm trying to wait for new firmware just in case it never happens, but my fingers are getting itchy....
Might be easier just to get the 60GB vertex while the promo is on.....

Associate
I've been thinking of getting one of these to put in my HTPC box purely because they are silent. Everything gets streamed from a server in the loft so the size doesn't matter too much.

When you say performance is crappy, do you mean compared to other SSDs or is it really bad? I'm currently using an old Maxtor 300GB which is pretty slow anyway. Would it be any worse than that?

Soldato
I've been thinking of getting one of these to put in my HTPC box purely because they are silent. Everything gets streamed from a server in the loft so the size doesn't matter too much.

When you say performance is crappy, do you mean compared to other SSDs or is it really bad? I'm currently using an old Maxtor 300GB which is pretty slow anyway. Would it be any worse than that?

When the new firmware is out (early feb) the performance issues should be fixed. Not everyone seems to suffer from them anyway and benchmarks i've seen from when it's working are good.
If you do suffer the write speeds are pretty terrible, you only really need read on an HTPC though.

Back
Top Bottom