Payraise.. how much do you expect? how much did you get?

Soldato
OP
Thread disproves all the 'UK wage stagnation' rubbish!
Tbh mate, I’ve been working at different companies since November 2001, after 23 years of different roles and now with a lot more responsibilities and BS to deal with… I may take home 4x the amount that I was on, but when adjusted for inflation it works out to be about 24% pay raise.. just over 1% per year lol

Tbh, I would and was thinking of going back to my old workplace and role, taking a possible 30%+ pay cut.. lol

Associate
Tbh mate, I’ve been working at different companies since November 2001, after 23 years of different roles and now with a lot more responsibilities and BS to deal with… I may take home 4x the amount that I was on, but when adjusted for inflation it works out to be about 24% pay raise.. just over 1% per year lol

Tbh, I would and was thinking of going back to my old workplace and role, taking a possible 30%+ pay cut.. lol
How does that work out? inflation between 2001 and now is 80% according to https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Associate
I'm expecting around 6-7% based on this year's performance being similar to last year, last year was 6.5%.
Bonus probably around the same
Well it took them a while but I wasn't too far off, bonus was lower that I'd hoped.

Pay was 7%
Bonus 5%

Pay was 7% as they had been adjusting salary bands, turns out I was on the lower side so got a higher amount to try and bring me closer to other. Bitter sweet in a way as bigger pay rise but now I know other had been paid more than we previously

Soldato
OP
How does that work out? inflation between 2001 and now is 80% according to https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator
Can’t remember what crazy maths I did… IMHO, stagnation is more affected by how people are feeling. I’ve only been above the national average wage once before in 2010, but my life style was different then and I felt that I could spend, was going on holiday away twice a year and driving a luxury car, buying designer clothes.

Now I’m quite a bit over the national average wage but all my cash is used paying off the mortgage, pension.. savings and investment.

If people don’t feel that they can spend, they don’t and the countries businesses do not grow.

Caporegime
Finally had my performance review, 10% was a bit out.

25% and a promotion, I’ll take that.
Just realised we’ve still not had notice of this year’s bonus. As it’s company performance related I can only assume our financial year-end hasn’t been finalised yet (we run May-April rather than the usual April-March).

Soldato
Got 6.5% last year, and just found out I'm getting 4.5% this year.

Not thrilled to be honest, though I appreciate I'm luckier than a lot of people.

Company has taken an approach whereby those in the lowest bandings and therefore have the lowest pay are getting a much larger raise in relation to their salary. I can see the logic in this as the cost of living crisis is much harder on those on the lower end of the pay scales. But it's ******* off a lot of people around my level as we have a pretty crazy workload and responsibilities that are only increasing - and we have fallen quite far behind our peers at other companies at this point.

I think the company is trying to thin out senior positions without going the redundancy route, it's definitely working as a lot of people are either leaving or openly discussing it. Not sure if this will result in those who remain getting a salary bump back to market rate or not though.

I'm hanging around at the minute as I'm on a much older contract than most with a very nice share deal and pension. But it won't be worth staying if my pay falls than 30% below market (assuming same number of days a week in the office with a similar commuting cost).

Soldato
Got 6.5% last year, and just found out I'm getting 4.5% this year.

Not thrilled to be honest, though I appreciate I'm luckier than a lot of people.

Company has taken an approach whereby those in the lowest bandings and therefore have the lowest pay are getting a much larger raise in relation to their salary. I can see the logic in this as the cost of living crisis is much harder on those on the lower end of the pay scales. But it's ******* off a lot of people around my level as we have a pretty crazy workload and responsibilities that are only increasing - and we have fallen quite far behind our peers at other companies at this point.

I think the company is trying to thin out senior positions without going the redundancy route, it's definitely working as a lot of people are either leaving or openly discussing it. Not sure if this will result in those who remain getting a salary bump back to market rate or not though.

I'm hanging around at the minute as I'm on a much older contract than most with a very nice share deal and pension. But it won't be worth staying if my pay falls than 30% below market (assuming same number of days a week in the office with a similar commuting cost).
Do you work at a building society by any chance? Strike that - just seen you have a share deal.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I changed job so had a 10% increase in salary. Then got a 1% increase which I wasn’t expecting as I’d only been with the new company 4 months. Bonus is 10% but I joined the new company too late in the year to get one so have to wait until 2025. Last place didn’t do bonuses.

Caporegime
I work in the private sector, so I'm not expecting anything.
I would have assumed most contributing to the thread with payrises are private sector. I don’t think being “private sector” is an indicator of lack of payrise. Lack of payrise in the private sector is an indicator of company performance (or lack thereof) or company morality.

Back
Top Bottom