PC Build check / advice 1440p gaming

Associate
Hi All

It's been a while since I've said anything on the forums and seeked advice but it's time to give up my trusty Intel 6700k and 980ti which to this day is still not all that bad.

My requirements are for a system that will comfortably game at 3440 x 1440p 144hz. I'm a bit of a visuals freak so I do like a game to look it's best when playing, I've always wanted to play Cyberpunk but my current system spex didn't really allow that.

I'm nearly set on the below spec so some advice on the below would be appreciated. But the missing link currently is GPU which I am undecided on, until today I had the 4070ti Super in my basket, but seeing the 4080 super is only £100 more wonder if that would be the correct choice..

I even don't mind considering a lesser card if I can get what I want in terms of performance and save a few quid.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback.

Man of Honour
Some ideas to save $$$:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,015.88 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Motherboard drops PCI-E 5.0 graphics, but retains a PCI-E 5.0 M.2 slot.

The Lian Li 216 includes decent fans which can save money on some builds.

Cooler: peerless assassin or phantom spirit (~£35), review:

Until today I had the 4070ti Super in my basket, but seeing the 4080 super is only £100 more wonder if that would be the correct choice..

I even don't mind considering a lesser card if I can get what I want in terms of performance and save a few quid.
If the difference is £100, I'd pay it (TPU's database has it @ 16% faster in raster and £100 will be more like 10% higher price), but I assume that you're comparing different models there because it is usually more than that, e.g. £200-£250?

Associate
OP
Thank you Tetras

Some food for thought. Is it not common practice for the OS to be installed onto a seperate drive anymore?

I did have the Asus 4070ti super TUF OC in my basket Link. So going to a 4080 Super for that little more seems a no brainer, I guess man maths is kicking in here as the 4070 can be had cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it not common practice no more for the OS to be installed onto a seperate drive anymore?

It's up to you really. I have a 1TB NVME drive and I have it partitioned. 150GB for OS and the rest is for games so if I never need to do an OS re install the games part is left alone.

This appears in Windows as 2 x drives but are stored on the same drive.

You could do the same with the 2TB drive and save the extra money on not getting the 500GB drive

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's up to you really. I have a 1TB NVME drive and I have it partitioned. 150GB for OS and the rest is for games so if I never need to do an OS re install the games part is left alone.

This appears in Windows as 2 x drives but are stored on the same drive.

You could do the same with the 2TB drive and save the extra money on not getting the 500GB drive

So yeh, for me probably not much point in the seperate drives for me.

Soldato
I did have the Asus 4070ti super TUF OC in my basket Link. So going to a 4080 Super for that little more seems a no brainer, I guess man maths is kicking in here as the 4070 can be had cheaper.
Is it more the shape/style of GPU you are after?

You could save another £100 getting by this Zotac card.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £807.98 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Also i would not waste a M.2 slot on a 500GB drive

Man of Honour
Some food for thought. Is it not common practice for the OS to be installed onto a seperate drive anymore?
I don't think it makes sense anymore with the limited number of M.2 slots you get and the relatively poor value of smaller capacity drives. 1TB or 2TB is usually where the best deals are.

If you have very heavy usage and need a scratch drive, then I can see the logic, but just for games it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom