Phanteks NV5, 7 & 9 (+D30 fans)

Soldato
Phanteks announced the NV7 at CES 2023. Out February, anyone here tempted?

The new fans in question out March. Based on the Phanteks T-30's. They can be daisy chained like the Lian Li Uni fans. They are available in two skus exhaust and intake so you can always be "pretty" side up.

Last edited:
Associate
It’s a massive case. I would be more tempted by the O11 Evo XL as it’s possible to “create” space where needed, as the motherboard tray can be adjusted. Very interesting for those looking for a large case.
But, no doubt, it’s a very good looking case.

Soldato
It's about time someone came out with reverse fans again (remember some from a long time ago) especially considering how much glass is being forced on us with modern pc cases.
Personally I just wish they were non rgb, yes I know I can turn it off but seems extra money for 'nothing' and extra cables etc... Maybe they'll bring out the T-30 inverted as well, might even tempt me to swap out my noctua chromax.

As for the case, it's too big for my setup (slanted roof from loft conversion) and I'd have preferred for them to have had a flat base rather than the slope so it could take a 480 rad in the side, not just 4x120mm fans. It's also kind of a weird design overall, it seems like it's wasting a lot of space by focusing on 'vertical' rather than 'horizontal' space like the o11 range.. mind you I can see a lovely spot for an internal 'temperature' display just above the motherboard..... I do like the rear (2x120mm) res/pump combo they've designed for the case though.

I think the O11 Evo XL is probably the better choice if going 'larger', it just seems a bit better thought out than the NV7...

Soldato
Not particularly interested as it's just a taller O11XL and my O11XL is perfectly fine.

But I do like those fans, 30mm thick and rgb, gimme! Are they reversible as well?

I've seen a lot of fans shown off at ces this year that are reversible (meaning the fan blades are attached magneticly and you can just using two finger pull it off flip and put it back, or some come with two sets of blades.

Last edited:
Soldato
But I do like those fans, 30mm thick and rgb, gimme! Are they reversible as well?

I've seen a lot of fans shown off at ces this year that are reversible (meaning the fan blades are attached magneticly and you can just using two finger pull it off flip and put it back, or some come with two sets of blades.
Everything I've read says they're different sku's so 2 different fans, one sku is normal, one sku is reversed.

Soldato
Hate to think how much that case will be, the only other case they've done around that size was the one that came with a flight case around £850.
One video I watched had them mention 250 range, dollars I think... basically it's going to be comparable to the o11 xl price, they're targetting the same audience basically.

Associate
Actually looking to get back into water cooling some point this year and while I was originally planning on going for O11 Evo I can't lie, I'm mighty tempted by this case. I'll definitely be waiting for the reviews and then basing my decision off of those. Consider just like the distribution block etc.

Soldato
Yeah, I was set on an o11 of some sort and this with the rgb and cable management has piqued my interest, I love my Evolv-X but want that extra intake position on the bottom to drag in cold air with 2 rads in use.

Associate
I just recently bought an O11 Evo but having seen these two cases, I think I might have opted for one of these instead. I'm a sucker for the fully 'open' aesthetic.

Soldato
I just recently bought an O11 Evo but having seen these two cases, I think I might have opted for one of these instead. I'm a sucker for the fully 'open' aesthetic.
Yeah I bought an o11 evo last year and looking at the h9 flow it seems like it would be a better fit for my setup. I've got 6 sata ssd's in my evo and well it wasn't designed for that many, the flow is.

The only real downside I can see with the flow is the psu placement, I'd have preferred it at the bottom for better weight distribution if nothing else, and the 'nzxt cable cover' which usually seems to cause more issues than it fixes.... and maybe the size of the ventilation holes, while great for air they're also likely to bring in loads of dust if you use the side for intake.

Soldato
I think this is the first reasonably normal sized case that might allow you to fill all mounts with 45mm rads in push-pull. Previously that would have only been possible with some of the larger Caselabs and the like, at which point I'd be considering living in the case rather that just building a PC in it!!

Associate
I think this is the first reasonably normal sized case that might allow you to fill all mounts with 45mm rads in push-pull. Previously that would have only been possible with some of the larger Caselabs and the like, at which point I'd be considering living in the case rather that just building a PC in it!!
Most 45mm thick rads won’t benefit from push/pull. The only reason would be very low rpm, but unless using P12/14, can’t imagine someone using 18+ T30 or similar priced Noctua/BeQuiet (30ish a piece). Only rad I ever noticed gain with push l/pull was 60mm thick, either push/pull or fan at high rpm, otherwise even lower performance than 45mm rad.

Soldato
Most 45mm thick rads won’t benefit from push/pull. The only reason would be very low rpm, but unless using P12/14, can’t imagine someone using 18+ T30 or similar priced Noctua/BeQuiet (30ish a piece). Only rad I ever noticed gain with push l/pull was 60mm thick, either push/pull or fan at high rpm, otherwise even lower performance than 45mm rad.
Most of the reviewers I've read (or watched) show notable benefits to most 45mm rads in push/pull, compared to having them in push only.
It's not as much of a difference as you'd see on a 60mm rad, where push/pull is pretty essential, but it's still a significant percentage - in the case of my current rads, more than 35% increase over push-only.

As for someone using loads of fans - I only have 11 because that's all my case can fit. If I could get more 360s or even 480s in, I'd pack them out with push/pull. I saved some money by purchasing multipacks, though, but given how much everything else cost, the fans weren't much of an inconvenience.

Associate
Every time I used either P12/14 or T30, at 800 to 1K rpm was more than enough for EK (PE and the new replacement P) also for Alphacool and their XT 45mm radiator. Maybe for radiators with higher fpi or 140mm based radiators (lower static pressure from fans).
Since the Enthoo Primo, dual 480 Alphacool XT, bottom later replaced by the UT, only the UT really benefited from push/pull.
Tried the O11 XL, triple 360 XT, push/pull didn’t help. At some point, when you have so much rad area, you won’t gain anything adding more fans.
Some scenarios, where the radiator must perform at its best, and depending on how much restriction this fan is fighting (filter, commonly intakes), and how good is the fan, then push/pull is required.
But when rad area is overkill, case isn’t restrictive and fan is good (and most importantly, quiet), I doubt you will see any gain.
Just check real people, using T30, Noctua, Silent Wings 4 and decent case. But when people slap a dozen Lian Li fans, pointing at the direction they look best, then brute force is the only way.
I used to get annoyed when people posted things like that, now I just laugh. The pearl is all intake, all the heat from the radiators dumped inside the case.
For any O11, looking for performance, two scenarios:
GPU, top rad exhaust, CPU, next rad (can be side or bottom, or both, intake). Reservoir/pump any place between top rad and back to GPU is fine. But most O11, for some reason have top intake, side exhaust, bottom exhaust, etc. I was able to keep a 3090 (active backplate too) and Monoblock X570-F + 3900x, quiet under load and a coolant delta always lower than 8C.
Some cheap P12 at 800rpm or less.

Soldato
Every time I used either P12/14 or T30, at 800 to 1K rpm was more than enough for EK (PE and the new replacement P) also for Alphacool and their XT 45mm radiator. Maybe for radiators with higher fpi or 140mm based radiators (lower static pressure from fans).
Well, last I checked I am a real person... and my own XT 45mm X-Flows (240 and 360) gain just over 35% performance with push-pull Corsair ML-120s (original non-RGB, non-pro versions) in my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe. This is pretty much bang-on what review charts like XtremeRigs showed in their own tests, so I was happy with that.
However, I am cooling a heavily overclocked 5960X and Titan Pascal, so I need every ºC I can squeeze out of the cooling.

Last edited:
Associate
Few times I used the Corsair ML and was disappointed. At low speed they don’t move enough air. At 50% they do, but are very noisy. The P12 at 50% (900 rpm), below the humming band (1k rpm) move a lot more air and still relatively quiet.
But as you have two very hot components and 360+240, and the ML, then I guess we he push/pull is needed.
When I was pulling about 600W and triple 360, 800rpm push or pull was enough.
There’s a review for the old XE radiators where they measure the cooling capacity of different radiators, based on fan rpm. Flow won’t affect much performance for low restriction radiators, as at some won’t be relevant, but fan speed or push/pull will. For some new EL P (Performance) and its low fpi, the only real benefit would be to have all fans at very low rpm.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/31/ek-coolstream-xe-360mm-radiator-review/4/
Therefore, for the review above, a thick and standard fpi, yes, either high rpm or push/pull.
New P or thinner, any decent fan at 800ish rpm will do.

Soldato
Few times I used the Corsair ML and was disappointed. At low speed they don’t move enough air. At 50% they do, but are very noisy. The P12 at 50% (900 rpm), below the humming band (1k rpm) move a lot more air and still relatively quiet.
But as you have two very hot components and 360+240, and the ML, then I guess we he push/pull is needed.
When I was pulling about 600W and triple 360, 800rpm push or pull was enough.
There’s a review for the old XE radiators where they measure the cooling capacity of different radiators, based on fan rpm. Flow won’t affect much performance for low restriction radiators, as at some won’t be relevant, but fan speed or push/pull will. For some new EL P (Performance) and its low fpi, the only real benefit would be to have all fans at very low rpm.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/31/ek-coolstream-xe-360mm-radiator-review/4/
Therefore, for the review above, a thick and standard fpi, yes, either high rpm or push/pull.
New P or thinner, any decent fan at 800ish rpm will do.
The older MLs are pretty decent, although the Pros are better. They both took a nose-dive once they started doing them in RGB, for some reason though and subsequent versions have been just as bad.
I used to be a fan of Noctua and Arctic P12s aren't any better, they're just cheaper, but the MLs gave me the best results across the range of RPMs.

It's always dependent upon your combination of fans and rad, though. Some 'decent' fans will suck on some rads, yet be excellent on others. EK Vardars tend that way in particular, mostly doing well with EK's own rads but being hideously noisy on something like Black Ice rads.... and even after all that, there's still the myriad of other factors, such as case resonance and even location - Over at my friend's place, my temps will be almost 10ºC lower, despite being a warmer house, as my PC room doesn't get good airflow.

Back
Top Bottom