plan for collapse of Thames Water

Soldato
This rumbles on via another article in the telegraph and with the chairman stepping down from Thames parent company Kimble as articled in the FT in blatant breach of its licensing conditions. I think this thread has run its course with the disdain shown for this company and its shells but as a customer I'm agog if the Gov and the regulator bow down and allow up to 40% hike in water costs from April!

Caporegime
Where do you think the money for your taxes comes from?
If the answer you're looking for is, "all money ultimately originates with the private sector" then that's completely wrong, isn't it...

How many private sector companies have large contracts with various govt bodies? The likes of Dell, HP, Capita, etc, etc.

The % of public sector workers in this country is just under 20%. That's a lot of us. The private sector will be receiving a decent chunk of cash both from govt and from public sector workers spending their own pay packets.

Money is a vast and tangled web*. The private sector did not invent money nor generate the money in circulation, did it. Not quite sure what your point is.

*More like a circulatory system.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the answer you're looking for is, "all money ultimately originates with the private sector" then that's completely wrong, isn't it...

How many private sector companies have large contracts with various govt bodies? The likes of Dell, HP, Capita, etc, etc.

The % of public sector workers in this country is just under 20%. That's a lot of us. The private sector will be receiving a decent chunk of cash both from govt and from public sector workers spending their own pay packets.

Money is a vast and tangled web*. The private sector did not invent money nor generate the money in circulation, did it. Not quite sure what your point is.

*More like a circulatory system.

I'm all ears if you can explain to me how a percentage of the income of public sector workers pays their full salaries as well as all other costs of running a country.

Caporegime
I'm all ears if you can explain to me how a percentage of the income of public sector workers pays their full salaries as well as all other costs of running a country.
Likewise, perhaps you can explain how the private sector causes money to be created, so that it can be gifted to the public sector to burn it on a bonfire or something.

Caporegime
Likewise, perhaps you can explain how the private sector causes money to be created, so that it can be gifted to the public sector to burn it on a bonfire or something.

Unfortunately I'm not here to explain the fundamentals of the global economy to you, largely because its black magic and I have only a basic understanding. I would still appreciate it though if you could answer the question I asked you first, of which you seem so sure of the answer.

Caporegime
Unfortunately I'm not here to explain the fundamentals of the global economy to you, largely because its black magic and I have only a basic understanding. I would still appreciate it though if you could answer the question I asked you first, of which you seem so sure of the answer.
That's the point. The idea that the public sector just spends money created by the private sector is a complete nonsense.

Everything is circulatory. The govt briefly has receipt of some money before ploughing it back into the economy. Govt gives massive subsidy to private business. Govt signs massive contracts with private business.

Business pays their workers. Workers pay their taxes. The govt briefly gets a sniff of that tax then ploughs it straight back into the economy, paying for services that are now largely contracted out to private businesses.

The whole thing is so circulatory that to say, "Private sector generates money that public sector spends" is just over-simplification to the nth degree.

Caporegime
That's the point. The idea that the public sector just spends money created by the private sector is a complete nonsense.

Everything is circulatory. The govt briefly has receipt of some money before ploughing it back into the economy. Govt gives massive subsidy to private business. Govt signs massive contracts with private business.

Business pays their workers. Workers pay their taxes. The govt briefly gets a sniff of that tax then ploughs it straight back into the economy, paying for services that are now largely contracted out to private businesses.

The whole thing is so circulatory that to say, "Private sector generates money that public sector spends" is just over-simplification to the nth degree.

My business receives nothing from the government.

And its irrelevant whether it's a simplification. It's the fact.

The public sector does not generate money. Simples.

Last edited:
Commissario
My business receives nothing from the government.

And its irrelevant whether it's a simplification. It's the fact.

The public sector does not generate money. Simples.
Nothing?

No police, no use of the roads?

Unless your company operates on a small island in the middle of nowhere it's getting a lot of benefits from the government, even if it's just in making sure that contracts have a way to settle disputes that can be enforced.

The public sector isn't there to "generate money" it's there to support and enable that to happen, and do so whilst also supporting the actual humans.
I'm guessing your company doesn't take a pregnant woman and see her through that pregnancy until the baby that is born in your companies own hospital is educated in your companies own schools and is old enough to begin working for you?
Not everything is down directly to money, businesses cannot survive without the government assistance, even if it's just the government getting the next lot of drones ready to work in an office.

Commissario
Subsidise national students. They do not generate profit, universities are funded from taxation.
LOL

Most universities get a majority of their income these days from foreign students, who IIRC pay several times what the British students do (I think one of my friends who works at a uni mentioned his foreign students pay something like 5 times what the UK ones do for the same course), and that's before they've paid for their visa applications and the likes of the "NHS" fee (I can't remember the term, but IIRC they have to pay a lump sum with their visa these days to cover any potential NHS use), and much of the rest of the money they have comes from either research grants or things like trusts and property that they own.

Also I would point out that businesses can't operate without staff, and those staff need to be educated to a point where they can do the job.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nothing?

No police, no use of the roads?

Unless your company operates on a small island in the middle of nowhere it's getting a lot of benefits from the government, even if it's just in making sure that contracts have a way to settle disputes that can be enforced.

The public sector isn't there to "generate money" it's there to support and enable that to happen, and do so whilst also supporting the actual humans.
I'm guessing your company doesn't take a pregnant woman and see her through that pregnancy until the baby that is born in your companies own hospital is educated in your companies own schools and is old enough to begin working for you?
Not everything is down directly to money, businesses cannot survive without the government assistance, even if it's just the government getting the next lot of drones ready to work in an office.

He said subsidies, not facilitisation. Also no, the police are useless as I've posted on here previously. We have to use private security due to the police being completely and utterly inept.
Also we build our own roads. Nice tries though!
The government didn't provide the seas or rivers we operate on. We're responsible for maintaining them from our own revenue streams. Others benefit from what we do though.

Soldato
He said subsidies, not facilitisation. Also no, the police are useless as I've posted on here previously. We have to use private security due to the police being completely and utterly inept.
Also we build our own roads. Nice tries though!
The government didn't provide the seas or rivers we operate on. We're responsible for maintaining them from our own revenue streams. Others benefit from what we do though.

I have to admit I am intrigued as to what this/your company does!

Or have I muffed it and you work for Thames Water?

Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL

Most universities get a majority of their income these days from foreign students, who IIRC pay several times what the British students do (I think one of my friends who works at a uni mentioned his foreign students pay something like 5 times what the UK ones do for the same course), and that's before they've paid for their visa applications and the likes of the "NHS" fee (I can't remember the term, but IIRC they have to pay a lump sum with their visa these days to cover any potential NHS use), and much of the rest of the money they have comes from either research grants or things like trusts and property that they own.

Also I would point out that businesses can't operate without staff, and those staff need to be educated to a point where they can do the job.

That's completely incorrect. Nice try though!

Example.

The government funded universities to the tune of 22 billion last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom