Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Hmm, I'm afraid the answer is not really Col. I certainly don't want to give any advice out that could lead to you injuring yourself further.

I'd suggest just jogging for 10-15 minutes at a time, tops, and slowly to see how your knee feels.

I was afraid of that, like you say taking it very easy is probably the best until I get home.

From memory plus a quick check I've done online if I keep my speed up and avoiding running downhill it'll help, as well as warming up properly before especially as it's quite nippy here.

I'll give a few short runs a go and see how I fare.

Thanks platypus

Soldato
not too bad actually.

I've only managed to get out a couple times but I've paced myself over a 2.25km route and when i get tired i start walking 1 lampost and running 2. Work has been a bit hectic recently so I haven't been able to get out as much as I want but at least I've had no mechanical troubles relating to my knee, the only 'problem' is that I didn't realise how unfit I actually was but that will slowly be put right :)

I fancy getting one of those nike+ ipod things for my nano, if i can see how i'm doing on a graph it may get me out a bit more.

Thanks for asking though :)

Soldato
Getting really annoyed atm. Was ill over the summer so lost all my (limited :p) fitness. Was just starting to run again and progressing back towards 30mins/5k and damaged my ankle in a bizarre incident with a cricket bat. It's healed up now so will hopefully get back into it this week but I really need to enter a local 5k or something to make sure I stick at it.

Soldato
Hi Platypus, I was wondering how long generally you should wait on a strained thigh muscle/tendon (no idea what is strained). I was running the other night and felt my right quad tightening up so I stopped running and walked back. Since then there has been a slight (only slight) soreness in the front of the quads and back tendon. Its so annoying as it is knocking my whole schedule back and I want to get back running ASAP (Am running the Paris Marathon). Should I still go on light runs or just rest? I dont want to prolong it.

Caporegime
OP
Good luck with Paris, it's generally really poorly organised, and hope that the water stops don't run out of water like they did last year (in 30oC heat)!

Anyway, in terms of the injury I'd get it checked by a physio, but take it easy. You should be at the 15-18 mile stage by now? It's probably better you take a complete week off and ease back into it then trying to run on it, however lightly.

Soldato
Good luck with Paris, it's generally really poorly organised, and hope that the water stops don't run out of water like they did last year (in 30oC heat)!

Anyway, in terms of the injury I'd get it checked by a physio, but take it easy. You should be at the 15-18 mile stage by now? It's probably better you take a complete week off and ease back into it then trying to run on it, however lightly.

I was up to the 15k stage so quite behind so I think I was pushing it to much to catch up. I took a week off but just went on a light 8k run but towards the end and now, I have a dull mild pain in the same place on the quad, I cant believe it, so ****** off! Would a sports masseur be able to assess an injury do you think?

Soldato
Could be a result of cramp or referred pain from another problem. If it stops you running best bet is to see a physio for an assesment. Have you added any hill work recently?

Stop running if it causes pain, but do something else until it's sorted e.g. swimming to keep your aerobic fitness up. Regards your mileage - depends on your goals, but 15k with 12 weeks to go isn't too bad.

Soldato
Started running this week with my friend and making some very good progress (actually surprised we managed around 2.5 miles yesterday and it was only our third day). Only problem I'm having currently is a lot of pain in my feet. Shins hurt too but getting better and yesterday my achilles tendons went very stiff for some unknown reason. I suppose it's no surprise since I'm running in some random Nike trainers, but don't despair I have a day off on Tuesday and will be in Newcastle anyway so I'll pop in the Northern Runner and get something decent.

Soldato
Well I went to get a massage recently but she seems to have made me worse, she massaged my calves (even though I didnt have much of a problem there) and now my calves muscles cant relax, they are continually tense - what am I supposed to do?? I cant run becuse they are continually taught, so ****** off! I had a hot bath, applied an ice pack, have rested it for a day (I havent run for 2 days now). What can I do??

Soldato
Well I went to get a massage recently but she seems to have made me worse, she massaged my calves (even though I didnt have much of a problem there) and now my calves muscles cant relax, they are continually tense - what am I supposed to do?? I cant run becuse they are continually taught, so ****** off! I had a hot bath, applied an ice pack, have rested it for a day (I havent run for 2 days now). What can I do??

Sports injury clinic.

Soldato
thinking about starting running to keep fit, I'm 20, a student and have plenty of free time for it, I'm pretty short and slim (168cm, 60kg) and live right next to Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, which I think is about 3miles round by road and would definitely be good for strength/hills training if I took the old path round/up the hill.

My main question is this, if I start running now, is aiming to do the Loch Ness marathon in 4hours this year (October 5th) a bad idea? Will I kill myself trying to do a full marathon that quick? Entry doesn't have to be in for a couple of months yet, so I could see how I'm going after a few weeks and decide then.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Soldato
As long as you have a basic level of fitness I don't think your goal is unreasonable. Start gently and increase the mileage slightly each week. Then 16 weeks from the event follow a training plan for a sub 4hr and you should be fine - plenty of plans over at www.runnersworld.co.uk

and don't leave entry until the last minute as it may have reached capacity by then.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
How to boil vegetables

Vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals, which aid in the building and maintaining of muscle, and in recovery. Remember: if they are placed in cold water in a saucepan and then brought to boil, about two thirds of the vitamin’s strength will be destroyed. If placed in boiling water from the outset and the water is later used for soup, about two-thirds of the strength will be maintained.

Would steaming be more beneficial then boiling them?:)

Soldato
I've just done a 2.6 mile run today, first run ever in a long time, most of it was walking, I'm just wanting to do running to build up my stamina, I dont intend on wanting to train up to do a marathon some day, maybe if I improve enough to decide to train to do long runs I could consider it but I want to do running to help me build my cycling performance. I believe running is possible one of the best ways to help build stamina right?

Is it true that in terms of burning energy and making progress 1 mile of running is the same as 7 miles of cycling?

Today I got a blister on the left side of my right foot, possibly due to bad shoes I guess?

Before I went on my run I ate some cerial, honey clusters or something with oats and everything, when I got back I ate a tuna sandwich and in about an hour or two I am going to be having a sunday dinner, later on I might have another tuna sandwich or a jacket potato with tuna and colslaw, is that ok and not going to do me any harm too?

I was planning on doing this 2.6 mile run around my village every day but I guess I'll do it one day, next day rest then do it the day after, but I like to fit in 10-20 mile of cycling each day too. I am thinking of buying some new shoes off wiggle too. BTW anyway to relieve the sting of this blister?

I am looking in wiggle and they have so many different catogaries for shoes:

Shoes - Run Cross Training
Shoes - Run Cushion
Shoes - Run Motion
Shoes - Run Offroad
Shoes - Run Racing
Shoes - Run Stability

:confused: which one do I want? :confused:

Thanks
Willz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of questions there :p

I'll comment on two:

Regards your run I'd initially stick to every other day and see how it feels and fits it with your cycling.

Shoes, from what you say your choice will be from; cushion, motion or stability. Which, will depend on you. Normally a good start is to have a look at your current shoes and the wear pattern, but as you've just started do the 'wet test' and take it from there. RW webby has good info on this:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=481

From there you can run through their shoe finder to give you an idea of what's available. Then get to a shop (pref. a running shop) and try on a few pairs. An experienced sales person will be able to tell if they're right for your by obesrving you in them, looking at your feet etc.

Oh and as for the blister, if it's not popped and there's no blood in it - you can use compede or similar to cover/cushion it. If you use compede make sure an clean the area to minimise the risk of infection etc as the compede dressing stays on until it falls off, possibly several days later. If it's burst then let it dry out and heal, but maybe use a normal plaster to cushion/protect it in the meantime. Or just ignore the pain ya big wuss :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply :).

I can ignore the pain, its gone now :p

I have abit of a problem at the moment, last night my legs started to ache and feel stiff, and now the top part of my leg (front and back) and above the heals are main parts were it is aching, oh and sides of my legs up to my bum and my crotch area, after that I did a 16 mile bike ride and a 8 mile one after that, now I've done as much cycling and I cant believe 2.6 miles of running/walking has caused this much aching? I have to cycle 10 miles to college and 15 miles back tomorrow :\.

Back
Top Bottom