Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Aches and pains are par the course imo. If I ever have to have a break from running, the aches and pains are there in all the places you mention after the first decent run, they soon go though.

Soldato
arite I've only read the guide section of this and not all the posts so forgive me if someone has already had this specific problem but I've just started running, like 2 days ago.

I've never been much of a long distance runner, was a really good sprinter in school and things but always struggled with stamina over long stretches. Anyway, I'm working on that but what I've discovered is that when I'm running, everything is going fine except me benig close to death after not very far but when I stop and get back in the car my left outstep? really starts to hurt like aching.

I know for a fact I dont run on the outside of my foot and like I say its fine whilst I'm actually running, tried with 2 different pairs of shoes and all, one was my really old puma running shoes I've had for ages and the other was a brand spanker pair of Nikes that I noticed in TK Maxx were my size for like 25 quid so I bought them.

I know you said its worth forkin out for some proper fitted ones and all that but I'm not plannin on doin anything more than maybe 2 or 3 miles at the most, I'm only runnin til I can afford to go back to the gym when I'll go back to cross trainers and treadmills.

Anyway, any advice you got will be appreciated, cheers.

Soldato
Are there any weight exercises that help with running? I'm not a member of a gym, so they would either need to use body weight or I could get a set of dumbells.

I'm running 2 to 3 times a week, typically a longer run of up to 8 miles (clocked 1:14 last week) and then a 2+2 run. I do a 2 mile loop with my girlfriend which takes about 18:30 at her pace and then I'll do the same route again on my own in around 15:20 or 15:30.

Associate
Oooh good sticky... .I've been walking for an hour every lunchtime for the last month or so, and keep getting overtaken by hoards of runners running up and down the Thames.. so much so that I've decided I need to stop walking and start running. In line with this I've been looking for a local running shop and have found : http://www.sherunsheruns.co.uk/ at Bluewater. Not actually bought anything yet.. when I went in I had work clothes on and wasn't really in the mood to jump on their treadmill analyser thingy.. but they seem to be quite good.. .and they do a 4k run every saturday morning that's free to enter.. so I think that's going to be enough motivation to get me started... and might be one for the link page

Soldato
Went out for my first run in ages last night and managed to run for about twenty minutes which I was quite pleased with. Trainers seem like they're beginning to get a bit past it though, so it might be time to get some new ones in a couple of weeks.

Soldato
First 10k race completed - around 56 to 57 minutes which was very pleasing :D First 3k was up and down a big hill, then through Delamere Forest. I'd been a bit worrying about going out too hard but the hill worked in my favour. The path was narrow and being at the start, everyone was together so unless you wanted to barge people you kept a nice steady pace. I ended up being bang on 30 minutes for 5k.

The course included some ace singletrack (which I've ridden on my MTB before), it was good fun weaving through the ferns, much less mind numbing that fireroads.

Soldato
I've got a few things coming up (Notts full, Cardiff half and Snowdonia full) and have, again, entered the FLM via the ballot... maybe I'll get in one year. 5th time this year so they at least have to let me in in 2010!!

Associate
Hi platipus,
been waking up earlish on a morning with like a hour before i need to start even thinking about getting ready to go to work, so was thinking about starting to run, I dont have much stamina, used to play lots of footy but now just golf. Dont really have a goal in mind as far as a race is concerned just to improve my fitness.
Maybe going to try to start off 2-3 times a week before work. what would be a good distance to start on and then how to build it up?
email in trust

Soldato
Maybe going to try to start off 2-3 times a week before work. what would be a good distance to start on and then how to build it up?
email in trust

I'm not platypus but have done a little running - what can you realistically do now? How long could you sustain a gentle jog for without ANY issues?

Associate
Not sure but i think about 10 minutes would be ok as a starting point (with out feeling to tired) with little effort. 20 mins would be pushing more think anything more than that at the moment would be stresful.
Can manage 10 mins on the tread mill in the gym no problem with out stopping, i may slow down to a fast walking pace but never stop and thats like for a minute

Soldato
Well, start with a run/walk approach. Run 5 mins, Walk 2mins, repeat 3 or 4 times. 2 or 3 times a week.

If you can manage that, then do it for a week and then up the run by a couple of minutes the next week and so on.

Just do what is comfortable and don't rush it. If you are running on the roads then get a pair of suitable shoes if you don't already have some.

Associate
will try that been looking at mapmyrun.co.uk i know this is a bit of a hard question for you to answer but say if i did the run/walk thing for 4 repertitions so im running 20 mins and walking 8 in total. How far distance wise would that roughtly be? just so i can look at planning routes

Soldato
Impossible to answer I'm afraid. Best approach would be to use mapmyrun to plot out a circular route from your house, of no more than 1 mile and use that to start. Then if all goes wrong you'll not be too far from home. Do this for the first few times and you be able to gauge your pace and plan some more interesting routes.

Associate
did 1.67 miles today according to map my run, started off quite well stretching and all then 5 minute jog 3 min walk 2 min run 3 min walk 2 min run then 1 min walk, I was shattered after the first 5 min jog though my mouth felt on fire. will it get easier than this.
Also i think im off to get some proper trainers for this as the ones i used today arnt that comfy. Think i under prostriate? from doing my wet test but will let people in the shop test it out.
Do i need to be doing anything with protines and whey power yet?

Back
Top Bottom