Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
'Fact wouldn't mind your opinion on my training plan (my running coach came up with a 10 week program for me to basically repeat), if I paste it here? You know a lot more about this kinda thing then I do.

http://www.google.com/calendar/[email protected]&ctz=Europe/London

First impressions are that it's quite intense if you are coming back from an injury. My bones would crumble if I followed that :D

Mileage isn't too obscene though. Off out for a run now and then the missus will want some attention. So will have a look later.

Soldato
Right had another look and my comments based on experience of what works for me....

It's quite an advanced plan and there's a lot of intensity in there. If you're disciplined enough to take 'easy' days easy and you’re conditioned to recover quickly then it may be fine. I'd be concerned about being fully recovered for the next harder session. Some harder days are followed the next by another hard day of a different nature so you could easily argue that the variety of sessions target different systems, but it still looks a bit much on the face of it. Training hard on tired legs will only lead to frustration/overtraining.

I favour longer intervals for distance prep. If the intervals are short you'd prob run these quite hard and you may find you fade in the later intervals due to lactate build up. My pref is for fewer longer quality 1.6-2km intervals.

I also favour long runs of upto 15/16 miles for half mara prep. But that maybe down to the pyscological effect of knowing you can do the distance relatively easily.

That’s my take on it, but.... I’m no coach and I don’t know you. If you have a coach he/she should know what’s what and guide you accordingly. I know 6 days a week would end in dissaster for me.

My current plan is:

Mon: rest – recovery and refuel
Tues: Easy
Wed: Easy
Thurs: Tempo or Interval
Fri: Easy
Sat: Rest
Sun: Long easy

Easy pace depends on the day and how I feel, but generally have a minimum pace in mind dependant on my goals. However Fri will always be slow. Tempo is hard but controlled and intervals are just hard but still able to walk afterwards! It works for me and I've consistently achieved PB's in both the full and the half based on that approach, where conditions allow i.e. not running around Snowdon in the pouring rain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'm fairly disciplined, and plan to take every Friday off, only do a light jog if I'm feeling extremely itchy.

I asked for an intensive plan because I've lost a lot of speed/fitness through my ankle fracture. I'm fairly confident that it's fully healed, and it feels fine on longer runs, just a bit tired which is to be expected I guess.

Still, wouldn't hurt to have a word with Stuart and see if we can tone it down a bit.

Ta :).

Soldato
I'm fairly disciplined, and plan to take every Friday off, only do a light jog if I'm feeling extremely itchy.

I asked for an intensive plan because I've lost a lot of speed/fitness through my ankle fracture. I'm fairly confident that it's fully healed, and it feels fine on longer runs, just a bit tired which is to be expected I guess.

Still, wouldn't hurt to have a word with Stuart and see if we can tone it down a bit.

Ta :).

Let us know what he comes back with. Did my last interval session (4 x 1600m) tonight before Rotterdam, Yayhay! I hate intervals! Just Easy and tempos now :)

Permabanned
Ive just signed myself for a local 10k (DK10K), looking through the stats, people are running this in 29mins! Is it possible to trian for something like that, or does your genetics play a part in this, im currently running 10k in 55 mins to 1hour, how long would it take to get down to 29 mins or so? im guessing a few years?

Im going to step it up a bit now, and try and get my 10k time down to 50 mins, the route looks quite flat, so im hoping my runs, which are all hilly, will help me here.

Soldato
Yes people are running 10K in 29 mins, but these will be (or bordering on) the elite club runners. Put this well at the back of your mind.

If you can do 10k in 55-60mins, the next step should be to consistently run 10k in 55 mins. Then look to drop to 50-55mins. Then so on and so forth. Set your goals to high and you'll prob over train and just end up going backwards. Knocking a few mins of a 10k is difficult, you could be talking 30 secs or so a mile quicker over the distance, no mean feat.

Take it steady chap!

Soldato
A beaut' of a day indeed - I ran the Stafford Half Marathon today. Bit hot in places without a breeze, so I was glad I slapped some factor 25 on my face this morning.

My chip time was 02:03:44 - I had hoped to squeeze inside two hours - so close and very much something to aim for next time (Sheffield Half in 6 weeks).

HRM says I peaked at 195bpm which would have been the last ~300m through the town. Was very good experience in resisting getting carried away at the start and going out too hard. First water station wasn't till 5 miles and 2 to 3 miles was one of the two hills, so I would have liked a drink earlier - all good learning though.

Approx' split times I took:

Code:
1	00:09:21	
2	00:09:05	-- 0:18:26
3	00:09:12	-- 0:27:38
4	00:09:16	-- 0:36:54
5	00:09:33	-- 0:46:27
6	00:09:35	-- 0:56:02
7	00:09:50	-- 1:05:52
8	00:09:47	-- 1:15:39
9	00:09:11	-- 1:24:50
10	00:09:30	-- 1:34:20
11	00:09:47	-- 1:44:07
12	00:09:26	-- 1:53:33
13	00:09:59	-- 2:03:32

Soldato
Left a little later than expected so got back in the dark. Still, nice to be wearing only one layer again:)

Good effort Chris, fairly even pace throughout and no sign of fading at the end.

Soldato
Thanks fb :)

What do you guys do post-race? My legs are pretty stiff today. My g/f's dad who used to run loads reckons I should do a very easy 2 or 3 miles tonight to free them up. Sensible idea?

Soldato
Post race, stretch and beer! Beer optional. If you can run there'll be no harm in a couple of easy miles tonight, will help to keep you loose. But don't push yourself into it if you can barely walk. Lots more gentle stretching though.

I just see how I am after a race and run as soon as poss. but keep it slow and easy

Caporegime
OP
Well I spoke to my coach, and he said it'll do me some good and toughen me up :p.

Post race? Immediately: Protein & Carbs, hot bath, sex, and then a massage.

Depending on length of race, the day after I'll jog a few miles very slowly. After a marathon I'll take a few days off.

Soldato
Figured I'd ask here rather than a new thread, is it worth getting a garmin forerunner 50 with heart rate monitor for £35 or should I wait for the new forerunner 60?
I'd use it for my cardio workout and not particularly bothered about how fast I can run(obviously being fitter is better and I'd increase the pace etc dependant on heart rate).

Back
Top Bottom