Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Is that with or without foot pod? I'm assuming without.... The 50 is good, bought one for the other half and at £35 it's a pretty good price for what is a decent HRM. The 60 is likely to cost a fair bit more - so do you want something cheap and functional or the latest bit of kit with a few extra bells and whistles?

I'd prob say get the 50.

Soldato
Is that with or without foot pod? I'm assuming without.... The 50 is good, bought one for the other half and at £35 it's a pretty good price for what is a decent HRM. The 60 is likely to cost a fair bit more - so do you want something cheap and functional or the latest bit of kit with a few extra bells and whistles?

I'd prob say get the 50.
prob more tempted to get something cheap n functional, though if the f60 is ~40 I'd be tempted. Also it's 35 without footpod (I hear the f60 footpod is smaller, this would make it more tempting as IIRC the current one is huge)

Soldato
(I hear the f60 footpod is smaller, this would make it more tempting as IIRC the current one is huge)

You should see the 305 GPS then....

I've got an F50 with HRM and footpod. Excellent piece of kit and I never go for a run without it. Once the footpob has been calibrated it's about 99% accurate, which is actually about the same as a GPS.

Permabanned
I have the 305, got it for £100 off ebay a while back, its not all that big tbh, you dont really notice it once you are running.

Soldato
Mrs Asprilla has a 405 and to be honest I'm a bit jealous. The only reason I've not got ones is because I don't want us to look like Mr & Mrs Matching-Kit when we go out. It's a slippery slope to matching anoraks.....

I'm sure the 305 isn't that big when you are running, a mate uses one and she's more than happy with it. However, if you've seen one you would never describe a footpod as massive next to it.

TBH I leave my footpod on my trainers all the time and I don't even notice that it's there.

Caporegime
OP
True, I use it for rowing as well actually and then its a bit annoying but other then that its fine, and even a great size for cycling due to the size of the display.

Soldato
Ended up getting a garmin forerunner f50 for £35 with the heart rate moniter, quite impressed with it and worked out I have a resting heart rate of 46 bpm in the mornings :O quite a change from how unfit I used to be. Went for a run just then for 53 minutes and kept a constant heart rate of 150-160 didn't need to stop :D.

Soldato
Should I be happy, should I be sad.....

Rotterdam marathon at the weekend and had hopes for a sub 3hour, but a horrendously congested start meant there was no chance of that. Tried to play catch up, but paid for that in the last couple of miles. Came in at 3:06, so a new PB at least.

Associate
I would definately recommend everyone who runs or is thinking about running to go have a gait analysis done at a proper running shop!

I did over the weekend, was advised to get some trainers with mid sole support....made a huge difference to my running. Bloody enjoying it now, it hurt my shins like hell before.

Associate

Bought some shoes at running bath yesterday, the assistant was very helpful and I'm very happy with my purchase :).

Great thread platypus, looks like you put a lot of effort into those first few posts. Picked up a few tips, thank you.

I'm just starting out running the first goal is the Bristol half in September, not entirely sure what time I'm aiming for, but I have plenty of time until then.

Back
Top Bottom