Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Good effort given the disruption to training, just don't let it get you down and enter something else quickly :)

i wasn't racing or even particulary trying to go fast / against the clock had a good 30min lunch break. 4.5 mph walking on hills /field terrain is a speed walk maybe/borderline slow jog like i said in post, hardly casual stroll. Possibly reason shins didnt hurt 2 bad though, goign to have to get out again tommorw try do 6 miles of proper running aiming for 40min or just under.

main reason i was aiming for 30 miles is royal marine speed march is 30 in 8 hours so just wanted to do it to test, obviously without the 50lbs of weight though will try harder next time

Soldato
Well a 30 mile long distance walk is nothing to be sniffed at. But you can't really compare that with road running as they are completely different in terms of what they demand of your body.

If you are in agony after running on the road for 7 miles, then run for 5 (or less) miles and then build up gradually to 7. Simples!

Soldato
Good effort given the disruption to training, just don't let it get you down and enter something else quickly :)

Hah - misses wants to do the Santa Dash in Liverpool. So that's 5k through the middle of Liverpool in December dressed in a Santa suit :o:D

I'm thinking of entering The Nick Beer 10Km memorial race which is Llandudno in February. Need to find out if the course goes up the Great Orme though :eek:

Soldato
Cardiff half this weekend :) but have a horrendous cold :( . Still, all appears to be above the neck, nothing chesty so still going to run albeit at a relaxed pace

Didn't run at a relaxed pace and nearly died! Well not literally. Finished in 1:32, which I consider awful and with an average heart rate of 187! This is nearly 20 BPM above normal for a half, so at least it proves I was ill.

Soldato
Didn't run at a relaxed pace and nearly died! Well not literally. Finished in 1:32, which I consider awful and with an average heart rate of 187! This is nearly 20 BPM above normal for a half, so at least it proves I was ill.

Crikey an average heart rate of 187 !!! I'm amazed you didnt keel over.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Bleh, looks like I'll miss out on London again as I didn't get a runners place, and the charity places always require a stupidly high amount of money to raise.

Associate
What do you guys wear for winter running?

I am too cold these days in my normal running clothes but too warm if I wear anything over them :( Considering just signing up to a gym for the winter but I would rather not!

Soldato
I have that problem

I can't afford the fancy thermal gear, so running in a tshirt and shorts makes me freeze for the first 30mins :p

Wearing anymore though keeps me toasty til 30mins then I just get way to hot

Soldato
I have that problem

I can't afford the fancy thermal gear, so running in a tshirt and shorts makes me freeze for the first 30mins :p

Wearing anymore though keeps me toasty til 30mins then I just get way to hot

You don't really need anything fancy , just a pair of Ronhill tracksters or some bog standard lycra tights. Just enough to keep the initial chill at bay and then not be too warm when you get going.

Soldato
I dont want to get into a medical post but I have injured my hip so have been off running for a few weeks. Unfortunately I'm getting paranoid about losing what level of fitness I've gained so have tried to run which causes my hip to ache so end up having to limp. :o

So how do you guys cope with getting injured ? Are you good and have a proper rest, or do you get itchy feet and try and run despite knowing that you might aggravate it.

Soldato
I dont want to get into a medical post but I have injured my hip so have been off running for a few weeks. Unfortunately I'm getting paranoid about losing what level of fitness I've gained so have tried to run which causes my hip to ache so end up having to limp. :o

So how do you guys cope with getting injured ? Are you good and have a proper rest, or do you get itchy feet and try and run despite knowing that you might aggravate it.

I just had my first run tonight after 2 months out with a broken toe, i didnt do any cardio while it was broken so it was damn hard work doing 3 miles. To keep me occupied i did week 6 of these every week:

http://www.twohundredsitups.com/week6.html
http://hundredpushups.com/week6.html

Didn't help me at all with keeping my fitness up but did burn some energy and mean i wasnt so restless all the time. Not sure if they are suitable considering your injury but there might be some alternatives to try?

Soldato
Had one of the best runs of my life last night.

Im doing 6km up and down runs (more up than down) through and around Newcastle city centre and the Quayside.

I love running over the Tyne bridge, especially as the sun is setting.... lol

I'm training for basic training so I'm not going for too much distance, probably focus on beasting 6-10km runs but trying to include as many "tough bits" like the numerous massive staircases and steep roads in Newcastle.

Definitely need a cheap thermal top for that initial chill though

Back
Top Bottom