Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
... the info was very mixed 1 guy says there is traffic monitoring another sais there isnt. 1 guy said i can put a static ip on fiber limited and another said it cant be done

can any 1 clear this up?

Depends on the package you've opted for. If you've gone for Unlimited then there are no rate limits applied to any of your traffic. With Essentials that's not the case.

With Unlimited a static IP is available for a one-off charge of £5 as previously stated. With Essentials a static IP is not typically available.

Best regards,

Associate
Thanks Bob, I have already changed my product to the unlimited fibre and was still paying for the pro add on. Will cancel on change over, thanks for the tip. Just found ref to it in the FAQ saying doesn't do much for the new unlimited product.

Dave

Man of Honour
Looks a good package. Shame my TV is with Sky as overall I'd get a better price PCM for all three (phone, BB, TV) services by switching from BT to Sky. I wish there were other options of watching the F1 and Premiership in HD other than Sky or Virgin.

Soldato
I am currently on plusnets ADSL2+ with a limit of 60gb for £11-49 a month.

Are there any downside apart from another 12 month contract of me moving to the unlimited and saving £1-50 a month as I keep butting the limit?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I am currently on plusnets ADSL2+ with a limit of 60gb for £11-49 a month.

Are there any downside apart from another 12 month contract of me moving to the unlimited and saving £1-50 a month as I keep butting the limit?

Contract is the only downside.

Soldato
OP
And if u leave before 12 months it will be £66 cancellation fee but it will reduce each month by £5.50p on your remaining contract left. That's not bad but I doubt no ones will ever leave plusnet unlimited and a truely value money.

Associate
just been on the Plusnet site, I'm currently with Sky Fibre Pro @£30/month and I've had nothing but poor service for the past 6 months, Sky's CS is generally terrible and I've reached the end of my tether, BUT the big stickler for me was that Plusnet wanted to charge me £50 installation fee....errr no thanks I already have everything I need installed :O

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
just been on the Plusnet site, I'm currently with Sky Fibre Pro @£30/month and I've had nothing but poor service for the past 6 months, Sky's CS is generally terrible and I've reached the end of my tether, BUT the big stickler for me was that Plusnet wanted to charge me £50 installation fee....errr no thanks I already have everything I need installed :O

Installation is free if you move the line rental to Plusnet.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'd checked all of that and pay a year in advance and still it came back with a £50 installation fee :confused::(

There's a £50 one-off activation fee, which covers the cost of connecting your Plusnet fibre optic broadband service.

Want free activation?

Take fibre broadband, and add one of our phone packages to get free fibre broadband activation.

We'll even include a wireless router worth £40 - just pay for the P&P (£5.99)

SiEeR.png

Associate
At the start when checking my phone line, the checker can't find any details about it :eek:

plusnet_zps8cf9df28.jpg

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Well, it's giving you a speed estimate. It might be because the line rental is with Sky.

Associate
Yep, it will be because your line is fully unbundled to Sky. Will involve an MPF transfer that I think incurs a line installation fee of £49.99 due to the re-jumpering required at the exchange.

If you call our sales team though then they might be able to do something about it.

Best regards,

Associate
This is why I'll avoid letting the likes of Sky and TalkTalk give me phone service - I've heard plenty of horror stories when people want to move away from them.

Soldato
OP
Plusnet rep: I am still under contracted with British Telecom until March 2013 for line rental with unlimited calls, so, could I switch over to Plusnet line rental with unlimited calls (will it affect my current broadband service with Plusnet like reset everything ?)

Associate
I'd wait until the contract's up but yes you could move to us without it affecting your broadband service. Our Anytime package includes calls to 01,02,03,0845 and 0870 numbers but not calls to mobiles/overseas etc.

Best regards,

Soldato
It's got my vote, I imagine if your sky broadband works out of the box you're ok.
But we've had no end problems with this lot, no only is the customer service centre filled with untrained, incompetent morons.
The technicians they send out are just as clueless.

Definitely time to switch over, this seems like good stuff to me.

Associate
Worse than BT then who only throttle bittorrent.

£17.25/mo for 80Mb will do just fine for me.

Essentials is.. not the unlimited product.

On the unlimited product there's no specific throttling just "because", more priorities. The way I understand it is that if you are only using something that is at a low priority, you'll get full line speed.
As soon as something at a higher priority tries to compete, it'll win over and the torrent will slow down. E.G. VoIP would get the bandwidth it needs, while the torrent would be slowed to allow this.

The only exception to the rule would be if your fibre cabinet, or Plusnet started to experience a capacity problem. No reports so far of congested cabinets (that I've seen at least!), and Plusnet do seem to be very vocal about the constant upgrades and improvements to their network, so I'd suspect the latter shouldn't cause much of an issue.

Me? I'd be on that product like a shot if I had fibre available. As it is, with emailing Openreach they explained my cabinet wasn't even being considered. So I re-signed for 12 months (and a tidy discount) with Be*.

Back
Top Bottom