Plusnet Discussion Thread

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
As it is, with emailing Openreach they explained my cabinet wasn't even being considered.

BDUK funding might be able to assist with the cabinet upgrade. See if the local council has a broadband strategy, it might be worth getting in touch with them.

Associate
Anyone using the service yet? any good?

Don't suppose it counts but I am! ;)

As we've been talking about traffic management, I've just this second grabbed this screengrab over remote desktop to my machine at home. The first peak is a binary Usenet download whilst the second is a well seeded torrent.

unlimited_speed.png

:cool:

Associate
bobpullen, do u know if plusnet will handle all the work if I move from a LLU connection (TT) to plusnet ie contacting TT and all that? also whats the downtime like when moving from a LLU connection to ur services

so far from what Ive read I wont be needing a MAC code but would have to deal with some sort of transfers which might mean additional costs and this is where i got confused

Associate
Quick question for you Bob;

I've been a Plusnet member for as long as adsl has been available in my area (you guys were the cheapest providers then and you still are now, as far as I'm aware) and when I first signed up, I was given a static IP and 250mb of webspace, I've changed from that legacy product since (and I miss the extra 8hrs of off-peak) and still kept my "perks" as it were, will I still keep them when I move to the unlimited package?

I've already ordered and was mainly just curious, I'm guessing I should keep what I already have, but I've seen mention on the member center of people losing theirs in the transfer.

Either way up, I can't complain, every time I switch products with you my speed goes up and my costs come down!

Associate
bobpullen, do u know if plusnet will handle all the work if I move from a LLU connection (TT) to plusnet ie contacting TT and all that? also whats the downtime like when moving from a LLU connection to ur services

We attempt to bring the PSTN/voice service over to BT's network and then place a simultaneous order to provision the broadband within 48 hours of the phone service going live. The PSTN transfer is dependent on Openreach engineer availability and will typically take 2-3 weeks (although it can be less than this).

You don't need a MAC.

TalkTalk will receive notice of the PSTN/voice transfer to us but it's always worth contacting the losing provider. From a consumer perspective they may offer you a more attractive deal to stay. It's also worth you notifying them of your intentions to leave to make sure there aren't any contractual obligations/cancellation fees you're unaware of. It also minimises the potential for problems/conflicts further down the line.

Regarding loss of sevice, there's likely to be a short period of downtime on the day of the PSTN/voice transfer whilst the engineer repatches the distribution frame at the exchange. Anything from a few minutes to several hours. There can also be a delay between the activation of the PSTN circuit and the broadband. This may be exacerbated somewhat where fibre's concerned as it involves a visit to the customer's premises from an Openreach engineer.

Also worth noting is the fact that simultaneous orders are much more prone to failure due to the increased volume of interaction between various systems. If a simultaneous order fails then we would have to submit a new provisioning order once the phone line's active with us. With a DSL order this would take 5-7 working days or so (during which time you'd be without broadband). Again, this lead time is likely to be extended where fibre's concerned due to the installation requiring an Openreach engineer visit. It's likely to be ~10-14 days. Much longer if Openreach availability in the area is an issue.

There are no additional costs assuming your service with TalkTalk remains active whilst we carry out the transfer.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any of it needs clarifying.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Associate
I've been a Plusnet member for as long as adsl has been available in my area (you guys were the cheapest providers then and you still are now, as far as I'm aware) and when I first signed up, I was given a static IP and 250mb of webspace, I've changed from that legacy product since (and I miss the extra 8hrs of off-peak) and still kept my "perks" as it were, will I still keep them when I move to the unlimited package?

The IP may change but you can/will keep both features.

Best regards,

Soldato
Bob, I am a Plusnet customer who's contract is up, therefore am paying for unlimited adsl month to month. I want to try fibre, but have been told I cannot get the advertised rate for new customers, £19.99, as I am not. £26.99 is my quote but I am looking elsewhere now as I do find it a little unfair.

Mobile phone companies stopped doing this years ago and you can now always get the advertised deal with them when out of contract.

Just annoyed me somewhat.

Associate
Just ordered phone & unlimited fibre as Eclipse became non-competitive (£18/mth on top of PN for u/l fibre) - very smooth web-based order, can't wait until 14th or so!

Associate
Bob, I am a Plusnet customer who's contract is up, therefore am paying for unlimited adsl month to month. I want to try fibre, but have been told I cannot get the advertised rate for new customers, £19.99, as I am not. £26.99 is my quote but I am looking elsewhere now as I do find it a little unfair.

I don't think that's anything to do with new customer vs. existing customer. I think it's more to do with the Market area you're in.

Best regards,

Soldato
Ah, excellent. Thanks for that. With the contract being 18 months does anyone know if you can pay 18 months in advance at the lower rate?

Seems this way it works cheaper to get Sky through Sky, and then internet through plusnet than to get it all as a bundle.

Soldato
I don't think that's anything to do with new customer vs. existing customer. I think it's more to do with the Market area you're in.

Best regards,

Thank you for your prompt response, but my exchange is in Market 3.

Exchange Status Checker
Results: Tilehurst
Code: THTT
County: Berkshire
Enabled: 13 Feb 2000
Market: 3
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
You can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
BT has published DSL Max upgrade information for this exchange

Sorry, I gave some incorrect information. I can upgrade to fibre for £19.99 p/m, but cannot get the half price for six months deal. I only really want to see if it is any good. :D

Associate
Ah, I see. Our Customer Options Team might be able to do something for you if you give them a call. Having said that, you can't really give fibre a test drive because it's contracted at 18 months.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom