Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
I was supposed to have this installed on the 17th, no engineer showed, after wasting the morning and 50~ mins on hold (their support queue status site is BS) I was told my order hadn't been placed properly and I'd be called back the next day.
No call, 40~ mins on hold initially, then a further 15~ while they check, and I'll get a call back on Monday.
No call, 40~ on hold, then 10~ more, blaming BT's system, I'll get a call the next day.
No call, 35~ on hold, 15~ further hold, they don't know what they can do but try to place another order, but can't because my MAC code is now used. I have to call the next day to cancel because there's no chance of getting an install before my notice period with Be ends and they cut me off.
50~ on hold, cancelled.

Call Be, got through and stopped my cancellation in about a minute. I don't know if I should go with BT or try Plusnet again later and pray I don't need to call anyone ever.

Soldato
Vimes, that's the quickest installation date u got there! Your area must be very quiet not busy for bt engineer!

It seemed so :)

I had rang BE on the Sunday prior to ringing PlusNet for my MAC code and they emailed that in the afternoon.

I made the deal with PlusNet over the phone on the Monday (their website ordering was fubar when using a referral link) and within twenty minutes the provisioning team at PN rang me for that MAC code and then ten minutes after that I got a text confirming the 25th, which was yesterday.
I rang BE to cancel my contract after speaking with PN and made that for the 2nd April, in case the Openreach engineer failed to turn up. <<<< To me that was a potential that needed to be covered.
I got the Technicolour router on Wednesday and the Engineer disconnected me from BE at 8:30am yesterday.

So, for me, it seemed to go really well with full emails and SMS information all the way from PN.

Fingers crossed that it continues, I now own Usenet ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been connected today, very smooth cutover from my old broadband.

My estimated speed was 63mb/s down, but after connection my average is currently 35mb/s. Will this improve? Or should I contact them?

Soldato
OP
I think the easier to activated phone line and fibre to the cabinet away from virgin media cable because BT Openreach only re-connected telephone line then connected fibre broadband. Because virgin media phone line and cable broadband had got nothing to do with BT engineer's work. (It belong to virgin media only).

My mate is leaving virgin media to join plusnet, wish him all the best of luck.

Soldato
OP
FTTC is always calculator 94.2% from the sync rate to get the ip profile rate.

Eg: Sync 79999K -> 75.3 Mb IP Profile (so it was up to 76 Meg)
Sync 39999K -> 37.6 Mb IP Profile (so it was up to 38 Meg)

The same goes for ADSL2/2+ with a calculator 88.2% from the sync rate to get the ip profile rate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes always is and very quick on the forum (monday to friday only) from 9am to 5:30pm

Forum is lots quicker than ticket or customer service on the phone.

Thanks, good to know. They responded pretty quick - think I'll need to test the speed on a wired connection, my wireless may be a little slow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I used to have mini USB wifi N150 and it cannot cope with Virgin Media 100 Meg (only getting 45 -55 Meg) and I changed a new mini USB wifi N300 and it now getting 95-100 Meg)

So, I think either wifi with N300 or dual-band wifi, it will be fine under FTTC

Back
Top Bottom