** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Soldato
im getting slightly obsessed with this thread

could this be the one to not suck with faults?????

my spidey nerd sense is telling me i have a solid 70% chance of getting one with terrible back light bleed / ips glow / gamma / dead pixal / screen wake up combo

disclaimer im not a troll if you've read my previous comments im desperate for a new monitor, i just want to avoid the issues with the new generation of g sync / ips / ultra wide / etc etc gaming monitors with massive qc problems
Nothing unreasonable with what you're saying in my opinion, the display market as a whole have been notoriously awful with regards to QC.

To confirm your suspicions, I'd say that yes, you're very unlikely to get a bad one. Mine has virtually no backlight bleed, glow is noticeable on a completely black screen but is completely unnoticeable during daylight. Aside from the sleep issues and flickering that I've been reading about (but I've not personally experienced at all), the actual panel itself should be a good'un.

Associate
im getting slightly obsessed with this thread

could this be the one to not suck with faults?????

my spidey nerd sense is telling me i have a solid 70% chance of getting one with terrible back light bleed / ips glow / gamma / dead pixal / screen wake up combo

disclaimer im not a troll if you've read my previous comments im desperate for a new monitor, i just want to avoid the issues with the new generation of g sync / ips / ultra wide / etc etc gaming monitors with massive qc problems

I was really concerned before hand but so far the monitor is doing everything it is supposed to and I have none of the issues some have. I haven't gone looking for the going to sleep bug and as long as it has no long term impact I'm not worried.

MGSV and Witcher 3 look amazing on it.

Associate
still not made my mind up between team red or team green. kinda just holding my breath for the freesync version to go to 100hz, which is fairly unlikely at the moment...

Associate
Trigger has been pulled, wish me luck guys!

As i am a bit of a noob when it comes to montiors, can you guys me information of what tests i should complete on the monitor when it is delivered? for BLB, frame skipping etc

Cheers

Associate
Ordered on the 1st arrived yesterday, Setup on my ikea FREDDE desk only one minor problem, display port cable that came with monitor is 4" too short [insert sounds of gnashing teeth and screams of anguish]

So only connected with a longer HDMI cable I had had hanging around, untill new longer cable arrives.
QC1uCru.jpg
Sorry only have crappy phone camera
basic Sys specs: I7-4790k, 16bg ram, GTX 980

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing unreasonable with what you're saying in my opinion, the display market as a whole have been notoriously awful with regards to QC.

To confirm your suspicions, I'd say that yes, you're very unlikely to get a bad one. Mine has virtually no backlight bleed, glow is noticeable on a completely black screen but is completely unnoticeable during daylight. Aside from the sleep issues and flickering that I've been reading about (but I've not personally experienced at all), the actual panel itself should be a good'un.

I have to agree with this there is a small amount of BLB in the corners, glow is noticeable but not really a problem on fully lit screen. No dead pixels (I've never had a dead pixel from any monitor honestly) and no sleep or flickering issues. The only thing I would mention is the noticeable buzz or hum mentioned in the TFT central review its only at low brightness levels (< 40) and since I don't use it that low its not an issue, if if it was an issue at higher levels I would RMA it (not sure why anyone would want it set that low, but still)

As far as I understand it all IPS monitors of this size use the same panel(?) so its not like there is much choice currently, correct me if I'm wrong but the only real difference is the electronics behind (Freesync/Gsync or non-Freesync/Gync) so its all much of a muchness at this size screen, I believe. If you're looking for a 100% perfect monitor I doubt you'll ever find one. I guess with most people it down to whats acceptable and whats not. I don't spend much time in darkened rooms looking at black screens so blb is not really an issue for me, however buzzing or dead pixels would be unacceptable.

Ordered on the 1st arrived yesterday, Setup on my ikea FREDDE desk only one minor problem, display port cable that came with monitor is 4" too short [insert sounds of gnashing teeth and screams of anguish]

So only connected with a longer HDMI cable I had had hanging around, untill new longer cable arrives.

Yeah I have to admit DP cable is short there isn't much slack between tower and monitor on mine, you'd think with a monitor this expensive they'd spend a quid or two extra on a longer cable in the box.

edit: really hard to get a decent picture with flash due to nature of curved screen:
http://imgur.com/LKL2s90
http://imgur.com/angw0dU
http://imgur.com/qaCGXTS
http://imgur.com/tEbIjOI

Last edited:
Associate
All in and looking great, I've got a knight rider light show going on haha

One issue tho, do dead pixels move? lol

I've got a what looks like a dead pixel top left but it's more *in* the screen than on it. It moves. Like a parallax effect as I move my head it moves on the screen. It's weird.

I also thought I had coil whine whilst displaying black but turning the built-in speakers down to 0 fixed that, I'll not be needing them anyway. I've got desktop speakers and decent headphones.

Dat pixel thing tho?

Soldato
All in and looking great, I've got a knight rider light show going on haha

One issue tho, do dead pixels move? lol

I've got a what looks like a dead pixel top left but it's more *in* the screen than on it. It moves. Like a parallax effect as I move my head it moves on the screen. It's weird.

I also thought I had coil whine whilst displaying black but turning the built-in speakers down to 0 fixed that, I'll not be needing them anyway. I've got desktop speakers and decent headphones.

Dat pixel thing tho?

i think a dead pixel will look like a black spot and a stuck pixel will be a bright red, green or blue speck

Back
Top Bottom