Pothole Damage

Soldato
Thanks for the advice.

The road is between Cublington and Whitchurch, travelling towards Whitchurch. Both are villages in Buckinghamshire, just outside Aylesbury.

Mentioning newspapers will generally escalate the complaint level very quickly... not a nice method to take, but in this instance I'm honestly shocked that something that bad was overlooked.

On a NSL road too, that is a terrible accident waiting to happen, on what looks to be a fairly quiet road?

Soldato
OP
Mentioning newspapers will generally escalate the complaint level very quickly... not a nice method to take, but in this instance I'm honestly shocked that something that bad was overlooked.

On a NSL road too, that is a terrible accident waiting to happen, on what looks to be a fairly quiet road?

It's fairly quiet but there are a few large trees just off the road, so it could have been a lot worse if the car had veered off. I had my sister and nephew in the car with me so I'm just glad that no one was hurt, and it's just the car that was damaged.

Associate
Holy crap :eek:

I thought we had some bad roads around here, but that's ridiculous. Do whatever you have to in order to get the council to make everything right.

Associate
I'm surprised by the sympathy on here as you were clearly traveling to quickly for the conditions to (not) miss something that large. As for claiming off the council it's Christmas and we've had a lot of rain so the damage is likely to be fairly recent, do you expect them to have workmen on call 24/7 to fix reported holes or is it reasonable to allow them a few days to fix it as most people are on holiday?

As an aside a mate cracked the sump on his golf hitting a pothole on Christmas eve. It was a private road but he didn't think to blame anyone but himself even though he's driven the other way down the road the previous night with no problems.

Soldato
Yeah I'm not sure how you missed it - if the road is unlit then you should adjust your speed accordingly so that you can react to things in the road

Soldato
I'm surprised by the sympathy on here as you were clearly traveling to quickly for the conditions to (not) miss something that large.

I'm surprised by this statement. Yes, this is a very large pothole, but at 7am on an unlit road, it is often very hard to tell how big a pothole is before you're on top of it, even at fairly sedate speeds. Especially in wet weather, it's hard to tell what's a pothole and what's nothing more than a large puddle, so it's unfair to say he was travelling too quickly for the conditions.

Consider the depth of the pothole - at 7 inches deep that's like hitting a kerbstone, in which case he can't have been going very quickly at all, or he would have lost the whole wheel, not just buckled it.

As for claiming off the council it's Christmas and we've had a lot of rain so the damage is likely to be fairly recent, do you expect them to have workmen on call 24/7 to fix reported holes or is it reasonable to allow them a few days to fix it as most people are on holiday?

Most councils will have a term maintenance contract with a highway maintenance company who should be tasked to responding to such repairs as quickly as possible. Given that it's already been reported then yes, I would expect the council to be taking appropriate action through their contractor to ensure it's patched ASAP, especially when you consider the damage inflicted - the OP is lucky he was in a car, hitting a pothole of that size on a motorbike (or even a pedal bike) could prove fatal.

Last edited:
Soldato
As an aside a mate cracked the sump on his golf hitting a pothole on Christmas eve. It was a private road but he didn't think to blame anyone but himself even though he's driven the other way down the road the previous night with no problems.

Being a private road, I think he would struggle to blame anyone else if he tried :p

Associate
OP - On a serious note, does the cave you drove your car into lead all the way to Austrailia? I'm wondering whether I could save pennies driving through this cave than catching a plane.

Soldato
OP
Just been on the phone to Admiral. The claim is going to go against me and the car will be a write-off. If I want to chase the council I have to do it off my own back.

Looks like I'll have to start chasing then.

Soldato
I'm surprised by the sympathy on here as you were clearly traveling to quickly for the conditions to (not) miss something that large.

I knew there'd be someone spouting this kind of rubbish sooner or later :rolleyes:

It's an NSL road and in the dark; headlights simply don't pick out holes in the road like this until you are very close. Of course, if you had any significant amount of driving experience you'd know this.

Associate
Just been on the phone to Admiral. The claim is going to go against me and the car will be a write-off. If I want to chase the council I have to do it off my own back.

Looks like I'll have to start chasing then.

Gutted for you Rick.

Soldato
those pointing the finger - have you not considered the pot-hole might have been full of water ?(speculating)

to the OP - that must have been rather scary when you hit that hole - ouch to the E46

Soldato
Wow that's impressive. I did a wheel on a pot hole 2 years ago which the council got out of paying. But yours is another matter, it's like a small Grand Canyon.

Hope the council pay back the cost of your repairs.

Soldato

You wouldn't need to be going fast to cause a significant amount of damage, so that's a bit of a moot point. You could do that at 30mph - probably less - let alone 50mph.

Shame to see the car like that SaBBz. Hope you get it all sorted out. There's a real nasty one on the way out of Great Brickhill too, which someone's dumped a cone in - almost ran into that myself.

Back
Top Bottom