Power supply for a computer moving to the US

Associate
Way back when power supplies used to have the little switch on the back to support switching between 110/200-240V. Then they disappeared and without much thought I assumed they'd just integrated this somehow.

Jump to this morning when this Christmas when my Brother in Law asks me if there will be any issues with the computer I built for my nephew now they are moving to the USA in a month...
Checking the specifications of the cheap Aerocool PSU I used it lists only 200-240V input and I assumed it was just because they were cheap, but looking around most brands either don't mention input at all anywhere (Corsair) or have no mention of 110V.

What's the crack now and can anyone recommend any brands (I don't want to spend the earth on a computer that isn't worth £300) that would support the use in the USA as well as here as I don't really want to get them to have to change the power supply once they arrive state side?

Man of Honour
but looking around most brands either don't mention input at all anywhere (Corsair) or have no mention of 110V.
Corsair do, in the specs of the RM850e, for example, it says: 100-240 volts.

I think most major platforms are universal at this point.

What's the crack now and can anyone recommend any brands (I don't want to spend the earth on a computer that isn't worth £300) that would support the use in the USA as well as here as I don't really want to get them to have to change the power supply once they arrive state side?
The cheapest PSU I'd recommend at OCUK is the Phanteks AMP 650, which is based on a Seasonic Focus GX and says 100-240 Volts on the website.

Associate
OP
Corsair do, in the specs of the RM850e, for example, it says: 100-240 volts.

I think most major platforms are universal at this point.

The cheapest PSU I'd recommend at OCUK is the Phanteks AMP 650, which is based on a Seasonic Focus GX and says 100-240 Volts on the website.
Thanks, but while Corsair might specify that on their shiny RMe series they don't on all and I can't find it on their CV, CX, RM that I can see though maybe I'm just being blind.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is quite a bit more than I'd want to spend (currently listed at £89.99 on OcUK) given the value of the system being £300. I'm all for getting a power supply you can trust rather than setting the whole thing on fire, but their has to be a balance. We've no need for modular and 500W+ is sufficient.

I guess I'll just have to do a lot more digging. Thanks

Don
Checking the specifications of the cheap Aerocool PSU I used it lists only 200-240V input and I assumed it was just because they were cheap

That will be because it is cheap.

Does it have an 80 Plus logo on it?

The majority of Power Supplies that meet 80 Plus standard (white) or better (e.g. bronze/silver/gold/platinum/titanium) have to use Active PFC (Power Factor Correction), and the way that is normally designed means that auto voltage ranging i.e. 110-240V comes as standard.

A quick look through Corsair's forum suggest that all current models are likely to work fine on 110V

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't find it on their CV, CX, RM that I can see though maybe I'm just being blind.
RM says 100 - 240v.

CV and CX I think there are quite a large number of variants, with potentially significant differences, so I'd suggest looking at reviews of the specific model and checking the label, though some of the larger PSU manufacturers do produce UK/Euro specific PSUs, which is something to watch with budget models.

We've no need for modular and 500W+ is sufficient.
It is difficult to get decent PSUs any less than 550 nowadays, since most lines have that as their first model and non-modular PSUs tend to be old and crap.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks both.

Seems inflation is kicking in hard with power supplies and companies are making the most of it. It's not like everyone is running 200W CPUs and 300W GPUs, but they like to price it that way. I'll put some time this weekend into digging further.

Much appreciated.

Associate
Just to close this off I managed to get a Corsair RM850 in the MM that has done the job a treat. Thanks for all the advice guys
Just know that most PSUs are only rated for either 100 or 240v to save the end user money.

Rather produce 10 000 units that only work on 240v and another 10 000 units that only work with 100v because that’ll save manufacturing costs.

Also know that the PSU power usage efficiency drops when on 100v.

Glad you’re sorted though. I remember the days when a PSU had a switch for the voltage rating and I’ve known a few people from the states to blow up their laptop power brick when they plugged it into a 240v socket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom