• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PowerColor 6970 pictured and benched

Don
Am I the only one who doesn't get the 'slow version' versions? It makes no sense to make people think your card will be worse than it is? If it wasn't for wanting the ability to have more than 2 screens on one card I'd have bought a Nvidia card long ago. As it stands they have to convince me to spend more on a 6970 over a 6870...

Do people think they would try to mis direct people, then put a big sticker on it saying slow card!

Man of Honour
Its a tad unusual to try and mis-direct people by purposefully releasing slow cards into the wild tho its not really a great tactic if people are leaking how slow your cards are* even if they actually are a lot faster.

* You will lose customers i.e. people will think "well blow waiting for that then I'll just buy the <insert EOL/competition> card instead" and spend their money before release.

Soldato
maybe the genuime ones say fast card
do they gibbo ? ? lol

i still think this is bull, no way on earth are AMD going to release a card classed as its top end single gpu that is outputting less / on par with nvidia's 2nd fastest card, and leave the top card as a dual gpu

pulled from another forum, not a chance in hell this is going to happen

testig.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
So what you are saying then is that the people who have broken NDA have real full speed cards and the 6970 is slower than a gtx580 and 5870 (oc) and the 6950 is slower than a gtx460?

I'm saying that leaks happen from time to time.

No manufacturer in their right mind would release a "slow" card to try and trick people. Their credibility would go down the pan.

Andy

Caporegime
Right, now we have it cleared up that slow cards don;t exist, I have had enough speculating about the 6970.

It looks like it;s going to the same as a gtx580 vs gtx480. A small improvement at best.

Soooooooooooooooooooo disappointed. :(

Associate
Very disappointed if real. My gtx470 scores higher in 3dmark11. No way will ATI sell any of them at almost £400 when less then half of that gets you better performance.

That's worse than a 5870 score :confused:

is it ? , mine scores around 4100 stock in 3dmark with a 1090T at 3.8 ?

Soldato
Its a tad unusual to try and mis-direct people by purposefully releasing slow cards into the wild tho its not really a great tactic if people are leaking how slow your cards are* even if they actually are a lot faster.

* You will lose customers i.e. people will think "well blow waiting for that then I'll just buy the <insert EOL/competition> card instead" and spend their money before release.

The only purpose I can see is to make Nvidia think the competition is a bit weak. However it serves no purpose in the time frame from the speculation until release.

Soldato
Right, now we have it cleared up that slow cards don;t exist, I have had enough speculating about the 6970.

It looks like it;s going to the same as a gtx580 vs gtx480. A small improvement at best.

Soooooooooooooooooooo disappointed. :(

Don't give up on it yet after weeks of speculation, you've come this far :p

I can't imagine amd will give up on the single gpu game and leave nvidia to lead it for a year until the next refresh. It would make no sense. There'd be no progress! :D

Man of Honour
It would be a bit of a fail if they can't top the GTX580 after all this... even tho they did explicitly say the 6 series focus is bias on efficency over performance gains.

Back
Top Bottom