Precision Bomb hit Baghdad market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I definitely suspect that the Iraqis laucnhed this weapon in order to stamp out any uprising possibility in Baghdad. Its bound to make them hate Americans and British if they think we are killing survillians.

Associate
What makes me chuckle about these types of threads is the fact that there are usually 2 or 3 people maoning about the fact that people defend the War effort. Yet they are even quicker to sit back and make sniping comments about the War effort in the first place. :confused::(

\starts humming the theme of The Muppet Show

Man of Honour
Originally posted by BigBadBenny
What makes me chuckle about these types of threads is the fact that there are usually 2 or 3 people maoning about the fact that people defend the War effort. Yet they are even quicker to sit back and make sniping comments about the War effort in the first place. :confused::(

\starts humming the theme of The Muppet Show

Think i'll join you there mate. :D

Soldato
Sad news :( hardly unexpected though.

I was against the war, and still am against the reasons we went to war, but so far from what i have read and seen, the coiliton forces have done extreemly well, i was sceptical about how casualty free this attack could be from a civilian point of view, so far there have not been many civilian losses, and we appear to be hadling the whole situation far better with regards to civilain life than i expected.

Although this situation is a sad one, i feel that the armed forces of all countries involved have so far done the best job they could have possibly done, given that bombs do miss targets occasionally.

Permabanned
Originally posted by PAC2003
Are these sandstorms having an effect?

Those live pictures of Baghdad with the sand is crazy, cant even see the street lights.
They prevent the use of laser guided weapons. JDAMS, the GPS satellite guided bombs, dont appear to be effected. Cruise missiles appear to be unaffected as well.

It will limit the ability of the Coalition to assess the effectiveness of their strikes. Air and satellites wont be able to image under the cloud.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Spud21
Sad news :( hardly unexpected though.

I was against the war, and still am against the reasons we went to war, but so far from what i have read and seen, the coiliton forces have done extreemly well, i was sceptical about how casualty free this attack could be from a civilian point of view, so far there have not been many civilian losses, and we appear to be hadling the whole situation far better with regards to civilain life than i expected.

Although this situation is a sad one, i feel that the armed forces of all countries involved have so far done the best job they could have possibly done, given that bombs do miss targets occasionally.

Its very refreshing that someone here can remain unbiased in their judgement. Even though you were against this war, you have managed to stay sensible in your judgement, and accept that mistakes do happen. As long as they are doing their absolute best to minimise civilian casualties.

Good stuff sir, nice post :)

Associate
Originally posted by Over Clocker
Its very refreshing that someone here can remain unbiased in their judgement. Even though you were against this war, you have managed to stay sensible in your judgement, and accept that mistakes do happen. As long as they are doing their absolute best to minimise civilian casualties.

Good stuff sir, nice post :)

I could'nt agree more! :)

Soldato
in war people die.

it's a fact. you can't have a bloodless war, and unfortunaty, bombs can't tell friend from foe.

innocents will die, but the longer this goes on the worse it will get.

as most of you know i am against this war, i think that it is illegal.

but i thik that this is one of those siutations where you just have to hope that our troop do the best job they can. i am confisdnet that this was not intentional. i can't belive that they would be stupid enough to do it intentionally.

at least the coalition have been careful so far. they seem to be bending over backwards to make sure that inncocents are not hurt, and for that i applaud them.

what makes th9s worse is the iraqis dressing as civilians. by doing that they are drawing great big bullseyes on their own people (not that i think the6 care that much)

lets all just pray that we win soon. the longer this goes on, the worse it will get and the more chances of this happening again.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Stiff_Cookie
So has it been confirmed as a coalition bomb or Iraqi plot?:confused:

Neither yet mate. Nothing confirmed. Except some old war bloke on tele saying if it were a cruise missile there be a big crater in the road, and much much more than 14 people would have died, if it is as crowded as Iraq says.

We just gotta wait and see i guess!

Soldato
Originally posted by Over Clocker
Neither yet mate. Nothing confirmed. Except some old war bloke on tele saying if it were a cruise missile there be a big crater in the road, and much much more than 14 people would have died, if it is as crowded as Iraq says.

We just gotta wait and see i guess!

SAM falling to earth perhaps after missing its target or 'going ballistic'? I mentioned this a day or so ago....ppl don't realise the size of some anti-aircraft missiles that the iraqis will willingly fire over Baghdad, and that when they miss they fall on the city. The Iraqis even fire the missiles unguided, in an attempt to scare the bombers away or get them to jettison their payloads and take evasive action, and to avoid having to turn on their radars and risk being shot by an anti-radar missile. An SA-2 SAM is 10m long and has a 26lb warhead - imagine that coming down on a populated area :( Reports of two missiles hitting the area, but as of yet only one crater being discussed, and a smallish one at that. It does seem a bit odd IMHO...

Will have to wait and see though I guess, before we know for sure - I find myself speculating though all the same :S

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Another thing that gets me is that there were TWO missles and we all know that cvilians are not being targeted, right?

Ok so if it was a cruise missle that went astray then it would be an accident but it was reported that there were TWO Missles.

SO either two missles went wrong at the same time and landed in the same area at the same time

or allies targeted the market area ( I dont see that happening without a a good reason and it would have to be a damn good reason)

or it wasnt an allied missle.

Permabanned
Its possible the wrong target data was entered into the system. Given the effort the Coalition is giving to avoiding another incident like Kosovo and the Embassy I'd say this is doubtful. But not impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom