Poll: Premier League Sack Race 2023/24

First for the Chop

• Total voters
Man of Honour
We don't know exactly what happened, but it looks like they sacked him, then he fell ill. Pretty awkward...

Hopefully he'll be OK. He's not a soft old man though, I always thought below his calm demeanour he had a very short fuse, we've seen it a few times in his interviews.

Soldato
Wishing Roy the best, despite him being the worst Liverpool manager in my memory (I think he was worse than Souness) I don't wish him ill, I think Palace can save a bit of face by saying "For the good of Roy's health we've mutually decided to part ways wishing Roy all the best and a speedy recovery".

Anyway to still be grafting in his late 70s (same as Warnock really) shows they're really in it for the long haul, makes Klopp's decision to walk away with his head held high a massive decisive moment, he wants to spend time with his young family and I don't blame him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Absolute grafter, you have to be built differently to still be putting yourself under that pressure in your 70s, he’s 77 this year…

I'm not sure there is the same level of pressure on the like of Woy honestly. Hes 77, doesn't need the money, could retire at any point and his career is only going in one direction at this point. No doubt he does his best but ultimately its not the same pressure as managers are under at big clubs or if they are making a name for themselves.

Caporegime
I'm not sure there is the same level of pressure on the like of Woy honestly. Hes 77, doesn't need the money, could retire at any point and his career is only going in one direction at this point. No doubt he does his best but ultimately its not the same pressure as managers are under at big clubs or if they are making a name for themselves.

I wasn't talking about external pressure as such, I was talking about the pressure he puts on himself to still be working in such a high-profile role at his age. He holds the record for being the oldest manager of a premier league club, and it's by some distance.

I don't think it needs to be said that the bigger the club you work at, the greater the pressure, that much is obvious...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
He strikes me an an honourable man (regardless of what you think about his tactics/team selection etc) so he's probably done this to avoid the potential ramifications of sacking someone who is ill, best for all involved to draw a line under it.
Presumably Palace will also do the honourable thing and give him the payoff he was due for being sacked.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it is the right thing to do by all parties. If he is sick then he has to place his health first and being a manager is a stressful job that isn't good for your health. If he isn't sick then at least it saves Palace some face from having to sack a man who is in his 70's and just came out of the hospital.

His contract is only until the summer I think so if they had to pay him off, it wouldn't have been much, if they didn't, Roy didn't lose much from resigning. I would expect he isn't doing the job these days because he needs the money, rather than the love of the game anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Happy retirement Roy. A dignified way to go about it from both parties. Early memories of him with Switzerland and Inter and to have come back to Palace and stays healthy after a long service in the game.

Soldato
OP
Lots of speculation whether Moyes will be at West Ham next season, and surely EtH and Poch must be also be in the same line before the firing squad! With United’s injuries to top players and others not reaching their normal levels, Ratcliffe must be considering whether EtH is going to turn things around.

Soldato
He has. Said he is waiting until the end of the season before he decides to sign it. Seems odd, you'd think he would take advantage of a concrete offer asap unless it has some weird clauses in it or maybe he has some decency about him and will only sign it if he improves results although I doubt that very much.

Don
Talk of Moyes' contract offer was months ago, before the huge downturn in performances and results. Unless West Ham's owners are the biggest trolls ever (towards their fans) then I'd be amazed if that contract offer is still sat on the table with it purely down to Moyes to decide whether he stays or goes. I'd imagine it's a mutual thing that they've decided to wait until towards the end of the season to decide which way they go.

Back
Top Bottom