Printer ink subscriptions

Associate
I'm on a £3, 50 pages a month HP subscription, not exactly a bargain but still worth it because of how much official cartridges cost to buy. I used to pay about £60 a year on ink.

Soldato
I have an HP Envy 7200 series and pay for the minimum subscription. It's convenient but they've just put it up a quid and that's a 33% increase or so, which is ridiculous. It's a principle thing IMO.
However, if you stop the subscription they deactivated the print cartridges. That's a deal breaker for me so I'm looking for a new printer. I'll look at the Eco tank.

Soldato
Or get an Epson ECO Tank Printer.

Might look into this, was after a new printer last year, only use a printer for a few basic things, like printing a postage label.

Have a cannon pixma and the ink runs out so quick and is very expensive for the full set of ink, like £60+!

Would you say the above printers you linked are good for general basic printing, never print photos for example.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Might look into this, was after a new printer last year, only use a printer for a few basic things, like printing a postage label.

Have a cannon pixma and the ink runs out so quick and is very expensive for the full set of ink, like £60+!

Would you say the above printers you linked are good for general basic printing, never print photos for example.

I've seen results and was very impressed with photo's printed out.
My wife argued it was a waste of money at £150 saying it was pointless, I reckon we've spent over £200 on compatibles since then.

Caporegime
I had to buy a laser printer over Christmas because of sending post stuff needs to be printed.

Me too. Picked up a cheap brother laser from Ebay for labels. Well worth it as often you can't use paperless.

Had like 50 percent ink left. Which is a lifetime of labels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an HP Envy 7200 series and pay for the minimum subscription. It's convenient but they've just put it up a quid and that's a 33% increase or so, which is ridiculous. It's a principle thing IMO.
However, if you stop the subscription they deactivated the print cartridges. That's a deal breaker for me so I'm looking for a new printer. I'll look at the Eco tank.
Yeah the price increase is ridiculous, before it made sense as we'd go through 1 set of cartridges a year and due to lack of use they'd often get blocked and need to waste a load of ink cleaning. Strangely the instant ink cartridges have never blocked, despite being used very little. Odd that :rolleyes:

Soldato

Unless you need to print colour or photos, get a laser.

For just printing labels, letters, forms and stuff, they are perfect. You buy a toner cartridge maybe once every five years. They work first time, every time. No subscriptions. No mess.

Soldato
Yeah the price increase is ridiculous, before it made sense as we'd go through 1 set of cartridges a year and due to lack of use they'd often get blocked and need to waste a load of ink cleaning. Strangely the instant ink cartridges have never blocked, despite being used very little. Odd that :rolleyes:
That's exactly what I've found too. Not a single blockage in several years, yet they're allegedly the exact same cartridges. Prior to this, every time I went to use my printer (which might be a month apart) it'd been blocked and I'd have to waste time, effort and cash getting it all working again. It seemed easier to go with Instant Ink but it has made me a bit suspicious of their "normal" cartridges.

Soldato
That's exactly what I've found too. Not a single blockage in several years, yet they're allegedly the exact same cartridges. Prior to this, every time I went to use my printer (which might be a month apart) it'd been blocked and I'd have to waste time, effort and cash getting it all working again. It seemed easier to go with Instant Ink but it has made me a bit suspicious of their "normal" cartridges.
Let me guess, the printers now get left on 24/7 and are allowed to do their own thing with regards to standby and maintenance to stop HP moaning about it as opposed to them being turned off for weeks at a time beforehand?

Soldato
Let me guess, the printers now get left on 24/7 and are allowed to do their own thing with regards to standby and maintenance to stop HP moaning about it as opposed to them being turned off for weeks at a time beforehand?
Nope still left off, just ignore the emails. Use it a couple of times a month same as when I bought cartridges and its the exact same printer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope still left off, just ignore the emails. Use it a couple of times a month same as when I bought cartridges and its the exact same printer.
Equally, our printer is never turned off because I want to be able to use it on demand. Not have to go to it, start it up and wait for it to get ready.

Man of Honour
I've put my money where my mouth is after running out of compatible cartridges again

epsonecotank2870.jpg

I didn't expect the ink bottles to big so big

epsonecotank2870ink.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom