Project log: A one for the missus ( More airbrushing / custom paint ! )

Soldato
okay... so not quite the missus as were not married ! lol
but im building this PC for my girlfriend as a kind of universtiy present

the brief:

convoou2.jpg

The PC:

its some old 'stone computers' P4 machine, luckily for me the case is already painted inside, no bare metal here !

compressor001smalldw6.jpg

compressor002smallga5.jpg

parts stripped out of the case and into an empty drawer !
compressor003smallbr5.jpg

Permabanned
Wouldnt it be better to buy a decent case? Surely all the paint etc will cost you quite a bit?

OT/ Is your girlfriend impressed by a 30sec super pi run? :D

Edit/ is that her in the pic?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mr Mister said:
OT/ Is your girlfriend impressed by a 30sec super pi run? :D

Damn right !
her next question was 'whats super pi' lol
it woudl be better the paitn a decent case, but thats just more money to spend which we both havnt got ! lol
this ones quite a nice one to paint to be honest

ive had this PC in my garage for a bit and i never use it. she weill be needing one for university work so its goign to a good home ! ... and im just painting it for paintings sake really... its just a nice present :)

and yes thats her

Permabanned
Painting for paintings sake eh? I might just have a spare lian li pc70 that you could maybe enjoy painting at no cost to me. You know, painting for paintings sake :D

Its a nice idea though, look forward to some results. :)

Soldato
OP
On with the painting.
the case has been fully cleaned, degresed, de_dusted ( rofl counterstrike reference) flatted and ... etc

First up is a few coats of white
laurascase003smallgu8.jpg

Next i mixxed up a very dark purple, and spray it nice and thin for even coverage. afetrt that i add a secret muic of pearl tinters and so on

laurascase005smallle0.jpg

Next up some airbrushing, few layers to build up these whisps and spots. and that big squiggle is me gettign rid of the crap on the end of my needle, had to open the brush up wide and spray/// thats been covered over now ;)
laurascase010smallni8.jpg

The joys of sanding :
laurascase009smallap4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And then our lord granted up on us... 12" maskign tape ><

laurascase011smalllt0.jpg

its a mess. but it works !
laurascase013smallsg9.jpg

all de greased and tacked off ready for soem high build primer: ( the purle is jst a guide coat for soem sanding i had to do btw )
laurascase015smallut1.jpg

Mixxing the high-build
( note where ive emptied my dremel bits out on the table ><... thats the 'messy table' )
laurascase016smallvx6.jpg

All primed and ready to paint afetr a wetsand and further tacking and cleaning
laurascase022smallcn2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Reserved

Next step will be putting the outside of the case into the base colour
and i dont really know what im gonnaput on the outside lol :|
unicorns and ponies i suppose lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
$loth said:
Wow, nice paint job on the interior, seriously that's nice!

How did you not get some paint onto the outside though?

the pamnnels were taken off. but the top left on.
andy oversprray on the top is okay as it just acts as a guide coat for sanding.
( a guide coat is when you mist paitn on then sand it all off to ensure you have sanded the surface evenly and completly)

its 6 and two 3's asto what you paint first, but i always do the insides first.

but the main way to avoid ruining your pain t is simply masking tape.
i have ever size from 1/16th of an inch to 1 foot wide - havving allt he right gear at hand really helps to save time on such a tim consuming process as painting.

ive just popped donw to check the primer.
the good thing about it is you will have noticed its mixxed form 3 parts.
this primer is doesnt 'dry' but it hardens chemically. so you can put a lot of build of primer on it without worrying about it 'drying; all the way through
hence 'high build'

tomorrow i will wet sand ther primer giving me an absolutly perfect, flat, solid base to paitn on... its a pleasure to paint on a surface liek that ! lol

stay tuned
Rick

Caporegime
:cool: COOL :cool:

Thats a pretty damn good job so far.

Good luck with the rest of it, though as Yewan says, i dought youll be needing it.

:D Great Job :D

Soldato
OP
Okay, with the case into primert, i sanded it down and went for a white base coat. then i asked laura exactly what she wanted and she said a hot pink to purple fade. and chose tyhe 2 shades as i mixxed them .

i started with the red.
laurascase035smalltr9.jpg

then the next step was to make the seconfd colour below it.
no fade yet as the boarder between them is covered with the mid tone of eac, and then the mid tone of that etc etc to get a smooth fgasde.
but half way though ...
laurascase037smallcy0.jpg

the olours just did not work at all. so we opted for a hot pink to light pink fade instead.
laurascase040smallwe4.jpg

Fades are by far nto the easiest of things to pull off. specialy with opaque basecoats like pink !.

but all in all im poretty chiffed at how smooth this one came out !

we never did decide on what to but on the sides in terms of artwork,. and laura did liek the idea of bubbles. so for the last few hours ive been thinking on how i can work on that theme as well as thinking about how this is a gift for goign to university.
it hit me that a picture of soemone blowing bubbles from one of those things kids get would be perfect. and a great symbol for tyaking flight with education.

i photoshooped a lot of images but then eventaualy came across a beaut' a fair like lady blowing petals from her palms.
the perfect image i think.

she will nto be blowing opetalsd but im dure gonna think about her blowing the bubbles and maybe turnign into symbols etc which will wrap around the case.

but ehres what ive got so far... this is 2 mins into paintign the figure btw nothign exiciting yet
laurascasesmalllc4.jpg

oh and btw, brother has taken the gucci camera on holiday so im stuck with a crappy 2.2mpxl 'thing' :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom