Project "Paint it Black"

Man of Honour
OP
+1 What's the hold up :D

(Not that I can talk)

The xmas spirit mostly.:D

I have been quite busy today on it but not a lot to show in pics. I have been stripping down a waterloop in a 800D case to move over to the 900D. I also removed the 3970X CPU from that system and transferred it over.

vrlt.jpg

If the 3970X CPU does not do the job I have a brand new 4930k I can try later.

The reason I have stripped the other system down is it had a watercooled RIVE mobo but it never seemed to work quite right.

Man of Honour
OP
4930K?

Didn't think you were bothering with one :confused:

Like me he had a ton of spare cash when he cancelled his Classy order lol.

Very true.:D

I will only give it a go if the 3970X does not perform. I think though that it will do well in the new mobo. The waterblocks on the old mobo I don't think worked very well and when things got warmed up there was what sounded like water hitting something very hot and turning to steam.

Soldato
Ouch not good! Hearing a lot of stories that are putting me off putting the EK Ti blocks on. Even though I know I'll be reet. I've only ever borked one thing and that was an old Abit AMD board. Screw driver slipped on CPU bracket and I carved up the board lol.

Associate
Will the 3970X not perform roughly the same as the 4930K? Or is Ivy-E a big improvement over Sandy-E?

Personally, I'm excited for when Intel start releasing 8 core enthusiast processors - given that the new consoles will usher in an era of more multi-core support (oh we've waited so long!), I can see Octocore enthusiast CPUs performing really well in future titles.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing progress on this build :D Never had an enthusiast/extreme series CPU myself, would build an X79 rig if I had the money, but my 4770K is serving me well so far :)

Man of Honour
OP
Will the 3970X not perform roughly the same as the 4930K? Or is Ivy-E a big improvement over Sandy-E?

Personally, I'm excited for when Intel start releasing 8 core enthusiast processors - given that the new consoles will usher in an era of more multi-core support (oh we've waited so long!), I can see Octocore enthusiast CPUs performing really well in future titles.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing progress on this build :D Never had an enthusiast/extreme series CPU myself, would build an X79 rig if I had the money, but my 4770K is serving me well so far :)

I have a 3930k, 3960X and a 3970X, the slowest is the 3970X which is good for 4.9ghz. When you compare these CPUs to their IB-E counterparts it is a bit of a non contest as what you lose on efficiency you more than make up for on higher overclocking headroom. With a multi GPU setup (3 or 4 cards) the one thing you need more than anything else is raw speed.

I have got a brand new 4930k CPU which I will try at some point but if it can not do at least 4.9ghz (not likely with IB-E) then it will only be good for benching one or two cards where efficiency is more important than raw speed.

You really should look at X79 or Haswell-E as it is not that much more expensive than what you have got now. If you were to go for a mainstream X79 mobo (you don't need everything a RIVE has) and a secondhand 3930k you could put together a very powerful system quite cheaply.

Man of Honour
OP
Ouch not good! Hearing a lot of stories that are putting me off putting the EK Ti blocks on. Even though I know I'll be reet. I've only ever borked one thing and that was an old Abit AMD board. Screw driver slipped on CPU bracket and I carved up the board lol.

I think EK waterblocks are fine on GPUs (I will post when I have done my 290Xs) but waterblocks on mobos is not such a good idea. I was warned off doing a watercooled RIVE by 8 Pack (but did it anyway) but found it did not perform any better than the normal air cooled version and possibly worse. I will find out for sure when I run my 3970X in an air cooled RIVE BE. The other thing that really makes a difference with high overclocks on a RIVE is to cool the back of the mobo with a fan (or in my case put the PC in front of an open window with the back panel off in winter.:D)

Soldato
I find a fan on the back of any x79 mobo is a good idea to keep the VRMs cool. They're better cooled on newer boards but back in 2011 I was really struggling to keep my temps low on my Gigabyte board

Back
Top Bottom