Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

kai

kai

Soldato
This is a follow on from a thread back in June 2021 in this forum section whereby I purchased around 106 SQM of land from a farmer to the rear of my property. This purchase was always going to be part of a bigger project. Since the purchase and renovation of the ground we are now moving on to build.

Timeline:
  • September 2022: Garden work complete including new perimeter fencing
  • October: 2022: Sourced Architect and local planning consultants to help with application
  • November: 2022: Revisions and submission
  • January 2023: Approval of full planning (after some back and forth) with local authority (this is where the local planning consultant was of huge benefit)

Jan-Feb
  • Source builders (quotes, references etc.)
  • Structural Engineer Calculations
  • Architect to build out plans for building control
  • Sort a new mortgage
This will likely be a slow burner thread as we honestly have no idea how long a build of this nature will take until we go into detail with a building contractor.

I only have around 10 months left on my mortgage; however I am hoping to clear the mortgage from savings and start a new mortgage :( as soon as we settle on build costs and contingency. At this point, i have in my mind (£80-£100K) excluding contingency and kitchen cost.

This is the design we settled on; there is some work to the front of property and side; but the following image gives a good idea of the goal. We have also decided to connect the garage as it has already been part converted as an office already (thread also on this forum). However, this will connect to the main house via a full glazed panel. The only other change we are thinking is a bath tub in the master in-front of the window as it overlooks the forest and is completely private.

XhJoE6X.png

jRB4YBB.png.jpg

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Inb4 heckles about no interior door to office.
This has been going back and forth with the architect. Working from home full time 100% (way before Covid was a thing) - i find being almost disconnected from the house and walking from the back door to office as a disconnect.
However, the wife wants double doors put in the boot room. I however want the storage space.

Bottom line: we will likely have an interior doors added. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks amazing...I'd wager that your estimated cost is on the low side however, though I guess a lot depends on quality of finish etc
Will be watching with interest as we will be doing a large extension in a few years time

Soldato
Looks awesome.

An internal door to the office would be a must for me, for the sole reason my cuppa tea would be cold by the time I got to the office!

I envy your home to office mileage :).

Associate
Will be interesting to see what sort of prices you get back.
Who is writing the spec and how many builders do you have in mind to go out to?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Will be interesting to see what sort of prices you get back.
Who is writing the spec and how many builders do you have in mind to go out to?

We have six different builders lined up. We are doing a fair amount of due diligence this time after being stung on the previous extension.

I was kind of cheeky; we have an award winning architecture firm near us. I reached out and asked them what builders do they use. To my surprise they provided their list for our area.

We have had one quote come in; but it has a lot of assumptions as we did not have all the details back in December. Total Cost to Undertake Works: £96,747.99excl. VAT All prices based on drawings provided by the architect.➢ Costs provided for budget purposes only –this is not a fixed price sum and rates are up for discussion.

I had our architect look over the inital quote "I believe they’ve used a professional QS (Quantity Surveyor) to do that for them so the prices are based on a national / regional index rather than local knowledge or the builder working it out himself (with subbies) which means the index will be slightly inflated."

I am still hopeful for 80-100k

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Looks awesome.

An internal door to the office would be a must for me, for the sole reason my cuppa tea would be cold by the time I got to the office!

I envy your home to office mileage :).

I would never go back to working in an office.
It's likely some type of door will be included. It would be cool to have hidden door in the boot room. You have to open the cupboard door to walk through :)

Soldato
Looks good, just make sure you have a steelwork detail for them to be hidden in the ceilings wherever possible, looks far better than bulkheads. Particularly if ceiling height an issue.

Id also get a door to office :D

Associate
If the office is solely used for work I would not personally have an interior door to it. I to have an office in the garage which I have to leave the house to get to and like the disconnect from the rest of the household but I also have my study in the house which I use in evening and weekend. If you also use your office outside of work then I would look into adding an interior door.

I think it was your office thread on here that gave me a lot of ideas when building mine.

Looks like a great project, look forward to seeing the progress

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Looks good, just make sure you have a steelwork detail for them to be hidden in the ceilings wherever possible, looks far better than bulkheads. Particularly if ceiling height an issue.

Id also get a door to office :D
Ideal world @ but i have been advised!

"
The ideal situation is to have the steels flush with the floor (no bulkhead) but in my experience, this is very rarely possible due to joists span direction or simply because the steels are so big.

If the builder can do it, then great but for your own expectations, I would recommend you anticipate that you’ll have a bulkhead

Soldato
Ideal world @ but i have been advised!

"
The ideal situation is to have the steels flush with the floor (no bulkhead) but in my experience, this is very rarely possible due to joists span direction or simply because the steels are so big.

If the builder can do it, then great but for your own expectations, I would recommend you anticipate that you’ll have a bulkhead

I think particularly for the kitchen/living room steel the connection detail and temporary works (acro propping) would be complex, but to be honest I'd say would make significant visual improvements, even if you said it cost 5k more due to complexity.

Ive got ones hidden in my ceiling from when an extension was done and think visually it is better than the ones I had put in as bulkheads to connect an extension - even with a 2.6m ceiling height

There's 3 steels in kitchen ceiling below you can't see /hidden in ceiling
I did this knock through from old house to 2012 extension (or my builders did..)
XK0h1VM.jpeg

Plastered
NDEOyRn.jpeg

Finished (sorry I've not cleaned for this photo..)
pOuuNnd.jpeg

Kitchen (this is going to get a new worktop and tiles) - there's a large steel that runs above the hob across to the fridge which you can't see

KMTSem4.jpeg

[

Id really quiz your builders on can they do it / price for it, and have they done it for. They might need to take up carpets/flooring in above rooms.

Are you staying in the house during the development? I recall you said that previously you looked at moving, are you going to consider the renovation cost vs just moving or you all in now?

Also p.s. You still doing the bodybuilding/physique stuff? I recall that near 10 years ago in the sports arena forum... I don't visit there often now :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good, are you not tempted to extend the living room out in line with the dining room? The same upstairs as well?

Caporegime
We have six different builders lined up. We are doing a fair amount of due diligence this time after being stung on the previous extension.

I was kind of cheeky; we have an award winning architecture firm near us. I reached out and asked them what builders do they use. To my surprise they provided their list for our area.

We have had one quote come in; but it has a lot of assumptions as we did not have all the details back in December. Total Cost to Undertake Works: £96,747.99excl. VAT All prices based on drawings provided by the architect.➢ Costs provided for budget purposes only –this is not a fixed price sum and rates are up for discussion.

I had our architect look over the inital quote "I believe they’ve used a professional QS (Quantity Surveyor) to do that for them so the prices are based on a national / regional index rather than local knowledge or the builder working it out himself (with subbies) which means the index will be slightly inflated."

I am still hopeful for 80-100k

I may have missed it, but what's the total floor area of the extension?

Interested because we are about to embark on a double story extension both front and back, making the house a large "T" shape.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I think particularly for the kitchen/living room steel the connection detail and temporary works (acro propping) would be complex, but to be honest I'd say would make significant visual improvements, even if you said it cost 5k more due to complexity.

Ive got ones hidden in my ceiling from when an extension was done and think visually it is better than the ones I had put in as bulkheads to connect an extension - even with a 2.6m ceiling height

There's 3 steels in kitchen ceiling below you can't see /hidden in ceiling
I did this knock through from old house to 2012 extension (or my builders did..)
XK0h1VM.jpeg

Plastered
NDEOyRn.jpeg

Finished (sorry I've not cleaned for this photo..)
pOuuNnd.jpeg

Kitchen (this is going to get a new worktop and tiles) - there's a large steel that runs above the hob across to the fridge which you can't see

KMTSem4.jpeg

[

Id really quiz your builders on can they do it / price for it, and have they done it for. They might need to take up carpets/flooring in above rooms.

Are you staying in the house during the development? I recall you said that previously you looked at moving, are you going to consider the renovation cost vs just moving or you all in now?

Also p.s. You still doing the bodybuilding/physique stuff? I recall that near 10 years ago in the sports arena forum... I don't visit there often now :D

• Id really quiz your builders on can they do it / price for it, and have they done it for. They might need to take up carpets/flooring in above rooms.
    Yes, if you see the interior plan; the entire staircase is moving. There will be a lot of disruption so new ceilings, flooring etc.

• Are you staying in the house during the development? I recall you said that previously you looked at moving, are you going to consider the renovation cost vs just moving or you all in now?
    We have a freind who lives opposite that have offered for us to move in (not as bad it sounds). They have a job that means they are away 2-3 months a time or for longer. The house is empty 80% of the year so we will likely cover everything for them. However, it might be possible to live in the house (not sure yet) but i have a 1 year old and a bulldog so ... yeah!

We previously engaged on having a house built; but it fell through (we luckily got all our money back). We love the location we live and its really difficult to find something on par, we would looked at houses 2-3x times the cost of this but had an overlooking garden or somemthing that was a deal breaker for that amount of £

• Also p.s. You still doing the bodybuilding/physique stuff? I recall that near 10 years ago in the sports arena forum... I don't visit there often now
    Yes. LOL, i still train 4-5 times a week. Gone are the days of being a fitness model; hahaha but i like to keep lean (8-10% b.f year round). I now work long hours, so the dedication and commitment is a little difficult as i got older :)

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I may have missed it, but what's the total floor area of the extension?

Interested because we are about to embark on a double story extension both front and back, making the house a large "T" shape.
Honestly, i am not 100% sure. I am awaiting on the detailed plans to come back that will have everything for building control.

Have you looked into getting an extension on the front of the property; each council is different but apparently any changes to the front can be a nightmare and are often declined.

As a separate note, i should have become a structural engineer. First quote in - 5/6 beams and a steel portal frame calculation - £1,700 WOW

Caporegime
Have you looked into getting an extension on the front of the property; each council is different but apparently any changes to the front can be a nightmare and are often declined.

Yep going to be a battle but its to replace an existing structure that's proud of the principal house building line.

Luckily I have a family member who part owned a large planning and building control firm, his background is local council planning so hopefully he will be of significant help.

Going to be very interesting to see your building costs per.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom