PSA Warning: Asus Z690 Formula VRM block corroded

Soldato
Looks like EK messed it up big time as opposed to Asus.

I still don’t understand why EK is such a premium product and people willing to buy their products so readily when they have a trend or track record of pushing out **** after ****

Mind share plus a good marketing team. Whenever something goes wrong or bad happens they seem to have a way of burying it.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if this is actually EK's problem or ASUS. Is Asus manufacturing the block using EK's patent or is EK manufacturing it? EK should know better, they have entire articles on their website telling users not to mix metals, so if its their screw up then that company is in trouble.

But who knows, it could even be a factory fault - like maybe someone at 3rd party factory tried to see if they could save money by swapping to cheaper metals and hope no one would notice

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It seems to be nickel plated aluminium but the plating is thick enough it seems, but if you manage to scuff or scratch the block with a sharp object while handling it you could expose the aluminium

However that last Asus misadventure was enough for ekwb to pull support and all ekwb branding is gone from the formula boards.

He also managed to get an answer for why Ekwb was ever involved. Apparently this VRM water block was never designed by ekwb, it was created by a small external company but ekwb just happened to have purchased the rights from them at some point and Asus wanted that product and now with ekwb branding gone it looks likely ekwb has given it or sold the right of that block to Asus so now they own the crap

Derbauer still doesn't like the block, even though it's unlikely to cause corrosion unless you scratch through the nickel layer. The vrm of the board runs cool enough without any water running through it anyway and the black itself is badly designed with its air cooler style heatsink that results in a lot of flow restriction if you connect this block to your loop

Last edited:
Associate
If you watch the whole video the part that makes contact with the coolant is nickel plated copper. The part that touches the VRM is nickel plated aluminium.
There are two separate hunks of metal joined together.

The Z790 Formula is fine.

Last edited:
Associate
For 800 euro it's not fine.

I remember the days of a 130quid mobo coming with lots of accessories and being well built too.
This pricing is crazy

Associate
I'd say it was pretty obvious that when I said 'fine', I was talking in the context of what metals Asus had chosen for the components, and whether it'd be at a risk of causing corrosion.

In that regard, yes it's fine. Pricing however, is a completely different discussion.

Back
Top Bottom