Questions - Diesel engine and transmission / gearbox reliability circa 2014-2019 -BMW - Mercedes - Audi ( on small hatchback or coupe models)

Soldato
Hi all

May need to look at refreshing my car at some point.

Car history last has been

BMW e82 120d coup m sport (2010)
BMW e92 320d (2004)
VW golf Mk5 tdi 2.0
VW golf MK4 tdi1.9

Engine wise on BMWs I always oil and filter serviced them at 7-8k

I am possibly looking for something newer to replace my current car 120d later in the year. I am not going to be spending £15-20k on a car. But I could spend up to £10k possibly..

Usually I buy cars with 60-65k ish miles. May stretch to 70k

I want people's opinions on the reliability of engines from.BMW and things to aggressively look for.. think major catastrophic issues (n47 timing chain issue I had to look for when looking for current car) for example .. is the engine reliability in the 1 and 2 series BMWs pretty decent between 2014 -2019? What's the transmissions like ?

One thing that annoys me a little about BMW is things like clutch system, I'm having issues atm where I can't really hear clutch noises or rattle but one thing that's rearing its head at the moment on 126k is the clutch peddle won't depress properly. Hoping a bleed will sort

With regards to other manufacturers do we have clear winners in terms of engine and transmission/ gearbox reliability BMW Vs Merc ( A or C? Class type cars) or even some Audi models.?

I know it's and outs of so far the BMW side of things. I'm pretty not up to par with info on Merc and even Audi these days to help make a decision

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why does it have to be a BMW or an Audi? At this budget it's difficult to see what you're getting for your money that's much better than your current car.

Soldato
OP
Why does it have to be a BMW or an Audi? At this budget it's difficult to see what you're getting for your money that's much better than your current car.

Because i like BMW and Audi's

Also, having owned two BMW's , i also liked how the 120d E82 coup felt on the road, for the model of car, it handled and drove pretty well. OK it didnt have some of the idrive stuff but i know later models do, i also heard the 2 series was a pretty good model to go for.

What would you reccomend ? Im not going to go for something like a Focus ST or an Astra if this is what your thinking

The reason why i am looking is because my car is currently on 127k, in a year or so it will be on possibly 130-140k... Yes it may live to 169k like my previous 320D did, but i am getting feels of a potential transmission issue on this current one, so im trying to avoid going down having to pit money in to repairs, and seeing what else was about so i can chop it in before i start having to spend thousand on repairs etc, pretty simple really.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The reason why i am looking is because my car is currently on 127k, in a year or so it will be on possibly 130-140k

I can't see how any 10k BMW will be much different. It's not going to buy you a reasonably new or low mileage car and if yours has been well looked after I doubt there will be much difference in expected reliability.

Soldato
OP
I can't see how any 10k BMW will be much different. It's not going to buy you a reasonably new or low mileage car and if yours has been well looked after I doubt there will be much difference in expected reliability.

I looked after my 320d well, it got serviced a lot, the oil changes were very frequent, unfortunatly it lasted until 169k when i had bottom end engine failure.

I have also looked after my 120d e82 well.

If i look around im pretty sure i could pick up another 60-65k milage, just like i picked up the above two models on, and it will probably be a circa 2014-2016 model.

Not no by all means, i wouldn't be expecting a 2022 car for that price no. What you have to remember is that yes my current 120d is a 2010 model, but it still has the later variant of the N47 engine.

I dont have idrive etc.

Whats the alternative ? keep my car, i would have a possible pending clutch replacement coming up, circa £1-1.2k, then what? keep it for another year, maybe year and a half or two, then have to chop it in as it could be on circa 135-140k miles, before it starts to deteriorate more.

The reason i am asking about transmission, clutch, gearbox and engine reliability is i want to try and see if some of the newer engines are more reliable than the N47, also, my journey is a mixture of motorway driving, but also can also be some annoying start stop traffic which means i am using the clutch quite a bit, and don't want something that's going to fall apart easily when the clutch can be heavily used.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
but it still has the later variant of the N47 engine.

So will a 10k 3 series.

I'd be surprised if you can find a 60k mile example unless it's an older car and really age can be as much of an issue as mileage in reliability terms anyway.

I just don't think it'll be enough of an improvement to be worth it.

Soldato
OP
So will a 10k 3 series.

I'd be surprised if you can find a 60k mile example unless it's an older car and really age can be as much of an issue as mileage in reliability terms anyway.

I just don't think it'll be enough of an improvement to be worth it.

See reply above, so i guess keep the car until 150k then ? and then see how things go ? with potential repairs in between what im on now, and 150k. or spend more money,

I would probably be able to (if i look hard enough) be able to find a 2 series example,

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you actually looked at what £10k might buy you? Whilst the market has corrected a bit in recent months, I think you might be unpleasantly surprised by just how far £10k doesn't go these days...

Soldato
OP
Have you actually looked at what £10k might buy you? Whilst the market has corrected a bit in recent months, I think you might be unpleasantly surprised by just how far £10k doesn't go these days...

Whats the alternative ? im not buying a Focus ST, or an Astra :)

I also kind of disagree that keeping my current car would also be the best choice, it maybe, but it also maybe not, i could turn in to a money pit , or it may not.

Its a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just while i am on here, new starter motor (Bosch) and clutch bleed done on the 120D this morning, Hopefully this cures a bit of the clutch pedel depressing problems i had and gives it a bit of life, and also the car now starts after i had starter motor issues.

Soldato
Whats the alternative ?

More money or lower expectations - I think you'd be looking at 2013/4 120ds at that budget with that mileage, so not getting away from the N47. 2015/6 models that you mentioned look to be proper scraping the barrel examples, Cat cars etc.

Doesn't seem like it'd be a substantial enough jump to me to avoid the things you're trying to get away from.

Soldato
OP
More money or lower expectations - I think you'd be looking at 2013/4 120ds at that budget with that mileage, so not getting away from the N47. 2015/6 models that you mentioned look to be proper scraping the barrel examples, Cat cars etc.

Doesn't seem like it'd be a substantial enough jump to me to avoid the things you're trying to get away from.

I dont think so, bearing in mind 4 years ago (granted it was before covid and the cost of living) i picked up my 120d E82 2010 on 65k miles @ £5500

I am not sure what the market is like at the moment, to be honest i havnt really started looking properly. The N47 timing chain issue was apparently improved after the 2010 models, but im not sure on the reliability of this "chat" about it. Apparently the 2010 model i have is one of the more improved models but id take that with a pinch of salt.

I believe you would be paying what you would be paying, if a garage wont budge on a price, then i wont go over the budget, simples, they can leave the car on the forecourt, if they want to sell the car they will find a way of bargening on price.

If i have time to look around, then i will look around to see what is about. Just because a cost of living crysis has happened, i dont think that everything in the world has gone up, it probably just takes a bit more effort on searching, if you want a spefic type of car why lower the standards and go with a medocre manufacturer ?

Have you found any particular cars that you are considering?

Not at the moment, i dont really know enough about mercs or Audi's engine reliability this is what im trying to find out. And i don't want to sacrifice for a non german car.

I don't think you would get me buying like i said a ford, astra, etc

I am too much of a fan of german cars. I believe i have been in many chats with forum posts about this before so i dont want to keep repeating myself.

I feel comfortable with BMW, there are still extras that i could gain with going with a new model, idrive etc. so even if i do go for a newer model id still be getting an upgrade on something.

Anyway, lets see how the 120d goes for the moment. and i will just scan the market searching.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think so, bearing in mind 4 years ago (granted it was before covid and the cost of living) i picked up my 120d E82 2010 on 65k miles @ £5500

I am not sure what the market is like at the moment, to be honest i havnt really started looking properly.
If i have time to look around, then i will look around to see what is about. Just because a cost of living crysis has happened, i dont think that everything in the world has gone up, it probably just takes a bit more effort on searching, if you want a spefic type of car why lower the standards and go with a medocre manufacturer ?
I think you'll be in for a rude awakening when you actually start looking then :)

Soldato
OP
I think you'll be in for a rude awakening when you actually start looking then :)

There has to be a deal out there somewhere.

I'm not going to go for a non-German car :)

I have not owned one in a long time

Either i look around, or don't look around, and keep my car for longer, adding more miles, more repairs and eventually run the risk of it running out of steam in its later years.

The reason why i want to try and pro-actively keep my eye on the market as my last car (the 320D) died on me unexpectedly, leaving me without a car, this all happened on a boxing day in December) and it ruined my xmas and new years about 5-6 years ago as i then had to reactively find a replacement during the xmas and new year period.

Last edited:
Associate
dont know much about bmws so pinch of salt here but just put 9500/10k in autotrader 1 series and seems loads of 1.5 and some 2.0 including 2017 models around 60 to 80k? try finding some you like the look of and linking them people can give honest opinions.

dunno if spec is anything never really had much to do with them. im sure fox will tell you:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd be looking for an m sport coup model generally. And want to check if the clutches/ pedal system have improved on the newer models . And less anxiety about engine even though my engine seems fine atm. But there's always a thought in the back of your head. Just keep to good servicing regulaly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So in summary you're ideally looking for a 2015 or newer 220d Coupe M Sport (Manual) with 60,000 miles (ish)?

Unless someone can persuade me to go for a different model of car then I guess I'll stick with what I know, Iv been having a look and there are models out there if 2 series varient, Iv spotted a few that have had clutch replacements and selling at 60k which is worrying. And I'm looking somewhere around 60-70k miles 2016 or newer

Associate
Merc, BMW and Audi use a zf gearbox, very reliable, however don't believe the sealed for life gumph the dealer puts out. Transmission service every few years (new fluid and filter) works wonders.

None really produce reliable diesel's that won't cost you a packet when they go wrong and they will I can assure you.

However the BMW 3.0d is probably one of the best.

If you want a smaller engine then the 2.0 TDI in the Audi is the cheaper of the 3 to run and repair costs will be much lower (as the 2.0 is fitted in everything vag)

The BMW 2.0d needs to be avoided

I have no comments on the Merc om654 in terms of reliability

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom