• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
According to your sig you already have a 290 Tri-X, how come you've gone for a slightly faster 290?

From a 290 to a 290x isn't a huge step up for the outlay...

It was more for the high overclocking headroom on the lightning, the tri-x couldn't really do the top clocks without the VRMs getting dangerously hot. Plenty of people on here seem to be changing down from Titan X to 980Ti which would be a sidegrade at best.

I know it seems like a waste of money but it is something i considered and i think for my personal usage of the card it will be worth the cost. Considering the lightning only cost me £230, it is second hand however it is only a year old so still has 2 years of warranty left on it. Bargain for that card imo.

Soldato
Apologies for reviving this thread but i figured i would have more chance of getting an answer here than in a new thread and that it wouldnt be worth making a new thread for it.

Basically I have a few gaming rigs, all on windows 8.1. I want to change my League Of Legend rig which has a 290x in it to windows 10. Googling around has cropped up a handful of different bad experiences. Now i cant imagine people post their good experiences after upgrading, so i am here to ask if there were any complications in upgrading, specifically in League.

Thanks guys, i know the 290x is overkill for league but i dont want to upgrade and find that my main game i play on that PC wont work or stutters. If it makes a difference, i am on 21:9.

Associate
My 290x and project cars don't get on too well ...no idea why though .

The game struggles on AMD hardware. The devs did post up when it came out that they was trying to work with AMD and provide them as much info as possible to make a driver set for the game, however from what they say AMD didn't give much effort in the matter. The game runs much better in nVidia hardware.

Soldato
I dont need it to run amazingly, how does it run on your 280x?

My 290x gets around 300+ frames on my 2560 by 1080p monitor atm. I have freesync and normally limit the fps to 75hz if it allows, 60 if it doesn't. Even if performance drops to a third of what it was, i wouldn't mind.

Caporegime
OK, sorry if this has been asked before (loooooong thread)...

Is it possible to run 2 4K monitors at 60Hz off of a 290X (or 2 x 290Xs if that makes a difference)?

An MST Hub won't do much good in combination with 2x4K screens as the bandwidth of a DP1.2 just allows you to output 1 x 3840x2160 at 60Hz.

You will need to use two native DisplayPort connections to run both displays @3840x2160 @60hz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes should be, but you'll need an MST Hub if you intend to use 1x 290X. If you use 2x290x then you won't need the hub as you'll have two DisplayPort connections.

Can you use connectors on each card now? Didn't use to be able to do that with Crossfire (it's why I went with Nvidia for my triple monitor setup a few years ago).
All the MST hubs I've seen won't do it.

Soldato
Yep just plug each monitor into a DisplayPort connection on each 290x then configure Eyefinity via CCC/Radeon Settings.

If you're using the 1x290x setup just plug the MST Hub into the DisplayPort connection then connect both monitors to a port on the Hub.

I can reach out to Club3D if you want me to double check compatibility on any specific question you have, but I'm not aware of any specific limitations.

I believe a MST hub splits the bandwidth of the DisplayPort so in total you only get the bandwidth of 1 DisplayPort. I believe a 4K monitor at 60Hz uses up around 70% of this bandwidth.
If you look here at the Club3D link you can see it doesn't mention multiple 4K displays. If you notice HBR2 will allow "up to" 4 1080p displays at 60Hz. Surely that's similar bandwidth to 1 4K display?

If you can run 2 display's off of different cards then that's fine as I can use 2 x 290Xs.

Caporegime
I believe a MST hub splits the bandwidth of the DisplayPort so in total you only get the bandwidth of 1 DisplayPort. I believe a 4K monitor at 60Hz uses up around 70% of this bandwidth.
If you look here at the Club3D link you can see it doesn't mention multiple 4K displays. If you notice HBR2 will allow "up to" 4 1080p displays at 60Hz. Surely that's similar bandwidth to 1 4K display?

If you can run 2 display's off of different cards then that's fine as I can use 2 x 290Xs.

I'll reach out to Club3D for confirmation and let you know.

Soldato
OK, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but I connected 1 monitor to each card (admittedly FuryXs not 290Xs) and it didn't work. Only 1 screen was detected in windows.

Has anyone else got this working?

If not, how do you connect 2 x 4K@60Hz monitors, 2 x 1440p@144Hz monitors or a mix of the 2 to a system running 290Xs?

Caporegime
OK, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but I connected 1 monitor to each card (admittedly FuryXs not 290Xs) and it didn't work. Only 1 screen was detected in windows.

Has anyone else got this working?

If not, how do you connect 2 x 4K@60Hz monitors, 2 x 1440p@144Hz monitors or a mix of the 2 to a system running 290Xs?

With the Fury X you can connect both monitors to the 1st graphics card, as it has plenty of Display Ports. It should be automatically detected.

Soldato
With the Fury X you can connect both monitors to the 1st graphics card, as it has plenty of Display Ports. It should be automatically detected.

Sorry, didn't explain that well.
FuryXs are normally connected so both monitors are connected to the same card. However I was just testing out connecting 1 monitor to each card. It was easier than uninstalling nVidia drivers, removing both cards, fitting 2 x 290Xs and installing the AMD drivers in order to test this out (followed by undoing all that as the setup wouldn't work long term with my existing monitors).

My question is still about 2 x 290Xs. Using FuryXs was to make it a 5 minute job rather than a 1 hour job.

Regardless it seems connecting a monitor to each card doesn't work, unless FuryXs gave just gone backwards in this regard.

Soldato
Always had a 290X which runs rather hot and loud! (MSI Twin Frozr) Got a feeling it's down to poor stock thermal paste application, Once I manage to find the right screw driver hoping to change paste and see some improvements! I know the 290x's run hot but 86c 75% fan speed within a Corsair 450D and a cold room something isn't right surely!

Edit: also running at stock clocks and even undervotled!

Back
Top Bottom