• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
What does a stock Titan fan sound like at 100%?

4 overclocked Titans @100% don't even get close to a single R9 290X @100%

Having said that I don't think the 290X is that noisy in normal use. If you are going to overclock the nuts off of them you are going to fit a waterblock anyway.

To put things in prospective my Asus Matrix Platinum 7970s when running with their fans @100% make quite a noise, right up there with the 290X but I don't see a lot of negative comments about the Matrix Platinums.

X3T

X3T

Associate
Ye my BF4 code doesn't work either. I contacted them about it, but looks like it's going to be the same for everyone until the 29th. Had no reply yet.

Has anybody tried undervolting the card? Is that even possible? Maybe if it's stable on a lower voltage it will produce less heat and so throttle less in games?

I'm thinking the stock voltage must be high enough for complete stability at 100% usage, but in gaming it never reaches that. Or am I talking rubbish?

Man of Honour
OP
Do these seem correct? (well, the CFX rather than the single!)

Single:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1489427?

CFX:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1489518?

Also thinking of cooling these - havnt decided yet, waters an option but, I wouldnt have a clue where to start (would also need a new case) - or theres rumors the Accelero Xtreme III fits, which would work.

Yes CF is working fine, compare the graphics scores on 3dmark firestrike and two cards are scoring nearly double.

Soldato
When i buy an AMD reference card i don't complain about heat or noise. It comes as standard. The faults lie with the cooler, not the card. Anyone with just a modicum of intelligence will wait for a AIB card or use a waterblock. I had a 7970 reference card so i know what they're like. That's how i see it. That's how its been with AMD and ive seen buying their cards since the 9200SE.

That don't make it OK though.

Soldato
If AMD made a good stock cooler the AIBs would rage, they make so much money off of AMD's stock cooler... AMD needs to keep them happy, lest they jump ship.

Mobster
Soldato
That don't make it OK though.

I dont really care what the ref cooler can do because ill block it anyways. But its probably not as bad as everyone thinks. They just wont ramp up the fan speed. Complaining about temps at 30% fan speed? sSeriously? Increase the fan speed... Its a REF COOLER. Its the actual CARD that is the gem in this package. Get a block or put an aftermarket cooler on it.

Back
Top Bottom