• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 48** (RV790) & HD 47** (RV740) Launch On Apr 6th

Soldato
April 6th is gonna be a big day for AMD as they are going to launch a slew of new cards. As we have told you back in February, Radeon HD 48** (RV790) is slated for April release and the confirmed date is now 6th of April. Interestingly, we also heard RV740 is pulled in from May to early April release so AMD will probably launch the new cards on the same day.

Radeon HD 48** (RV790) is still 55nm based and is basically a higher clocked version of RV770. The RV790 card comes with 10 layers PCB and is 9.5" long with a new dual slot cooler. We told you previously, there are 2 versions; standard and OC edition. The OC edition will come later in April. The price for standard 512MB edition is US$199 while the price for 1GB OC edition is US$299.

Radeon HD 47** and 47** is 40nm based and we already have seen a preview of it. Price of HD 4750 is expected to be around US$99 while HD 4770 is priced at around US$119. Apparently, the yield is so good that AMD decided to pull in from May to early April release to give GeForce GTS 240 and 9600 GT a run for its money.

Soldato
OP
To be fair nvidia didnt just do that once though, they kept on doing it with the same part :D

8800GTS -> 9800GTX -> 9800GTX+ -> GTS250 -> ?

When will those green monkeys stop!

Saves money on R&D that's for sure.

They have yet another cherry on top of the renaming.
Tomorrow, on the opening day of CeBIT 2009, Nvidia will formalize the name change of its Geforce 9800GTX+ performance segment card to become Geforce GTS 250 in order to integrate this GPU with its new product naming scheme.

What has just been revealed, however, is the company's strategic marketing plan to revitalize the flow of consumerism in its performance segment. The fact is, a major portion of Nvidia's success in such a situation lies with the objectivity of its product reviewers. Positive reviews will go a long way in influencing the general consensus of public opinion, and therefore the company has decided to "improve," or should we say manipulate its assets.

According to Hardware.fr, the following information details Nvidia's guidelines to boards partners regarding the GTS 250 launch:

March 3rd – Reviews go live of GTS 250 1GB fast boards (738/1100)

March 10th – GTS 250 1GB and 512MB fast boards (738/1100) available for sale.

March 17th – GTS 250 1GB slow boards (738/1000) available for sale.

NOTE: The older slow 1GB (1000MHz memory) boards should not go on sale till after March 17th. The only exceptions are if partners can overclock the memory on these to hit 1100MHz.

Simply put, Nvidia is sending out higher clocked GTS 250 cards to reviewers within the first week of launch, and is then sending out slower GTS 250 cards for the majority of sales from retailers like Newegg, NCIX, Micro Center, and other distributors.

Nvidia is suggesting that its board partners hide the existence of these higher clocked review cards by branding them as "overclocked" models to avoid market confusion. The note suggests that should partners wish to sell the slower cards with 1.0ns DDR3 modules (rated up to 1000MHz) prior to March 17th, the chips must be overclocked to at least 1100MHz, or the speed of the 0.8ns modules.

Moreover, it seems as if the company is concerned about its slower 9800GTX+ stock being rebranded to meet the specifications of the GTS 250. It needs to ensure it can fit cards with both fast and slow memory chips under one product name.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12329&Itemid=1

Soldato
OP
Intereting, how will the 4870s be priced after the release? Much cheaper? I'm looking to crossfire two of them so that would be good :cool:

On a side note I'm guessing that you love COD4 by your sig Finl8y, I loved it myself, WAW was a let down though :(

Yes i like COD4. WAW is OK & i wish the maps in COD4 was of the scale of WAW. but WAW just does not feel as refined & polished as COD4 even tho i still feel that WAW is still a good game in its own right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom