Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
I apologise morguk - I was not aware so many were incompatible - Evilpaul is there a reason/known cause for the incompatibilities?

Nate

I think it's to do the pi struggling to read certain firmware on the SD cards. But ive also heard that it might be a power thing. Class 10 cards consume more power which upsets the pi SD reader. (That might be BS though)

Associate
God damn, I need to get my hands on the B-Model of the Pi. I need to control the stupidly expensive robotic arm I have gathering dust with it.

I haven't been checking lately too busy, so does anyone know when the next batch of them are due to be available on Farnell and RS?
I signed up to "show my interest" on both sites and neither have sent an email telling me I can order one... It's been so long :(

Associate
On the wiki page there is a link that suggests there is an issue in the Broadcom firmware programmed on to the main RPi chip that means it cannot read a lot of class 10 cards. I've never seen any definite confirmation of this, but it sounds plausible.

Associate
I apologise morguk - I was not aware so many were incompatible - Evilpaul is there a reason/known cause for the incompatibilities?

Nate

No problem :)

A lot of Class 10 SD cards will not work with the Pi. It's best to look on the wiki page for verified working cards:
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

Yeah I've had a look at that list, but it's still hard to tell which is the best. Some class 10 are slower than class 6, and some turbo/extreme cards only work with certain releases/firmware.

Soldato
Having issues with both Raspbmc and Openelec.

Tried playing a 1080p movie using a USB drive and it works in Openlec, but freezes every now and again in Raspbmc. Streaming off the network causes both to freeze/buffer.

720p seems to work though.

Associate
Tried playing a 1080p movie using a USB drive and it works in Openlec, but freezes every now and again in Raspbmc.

I've had no problems running the majority of my videos on Raspbmc, even the 1080p version of Big Buck Bunny.

On my own OpenELEC builds I'm getting constant stuttering and general poor performance. It's something I'm going to look at over the weekend.

Streaming off the network causes both to freeze/buffer.

How are you streaming the content? Samba is known to have a large processing overhead, so NFS or similar would be a better choice.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Still waiting for mine , though not planning on using it any time soon as i need SD/Keyboard & mouse & hdmi :E

So who's managed to get cheap (ebay) dongles etc working?

Associate
Is it just me that seems to have horrific speeds from the SD cards then? I've tried a Transcend 8GB SD card, and the one I was primarily using is a 16GB Sandisk MicroSD + Adaptor. Both are pretty slow, especially under Arch for some reason.

Copying the image's root fs to a USB HDD and just using the SD card for booting seems to have a massive performance improvement, but the problem with that is that once I plugin in my wireless mouse and keyboard, my powered USB hub doesn't have enough power! Portable USB HDDs are power-hungry I guess...

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Is it just me that seems to have horrific speeds from the SD cards then? I've tried a Transcend 8GB SD card, and the one I was primarily using is a 16GB Sandisk MicroSD + Adaptor. Both are pretty slow, especially under Arch for some reason.

Copying the image's root fs to a USB HDD and just using the SD card for booting seems to have a massive performance improvement, but the problem with that is that once I plugin in my wireless mouse and keyboard, my powered USB hub doesn't have enough power! Portable USB HDDs are power-hungry I guess...

Using a Class 10 halfed my boot up time, was using a Class 6 before.

Soldato
I've had no problems running the majority of my videos on Raspbmc, even the 1080p version of Big Buck Bunny.

I tried a newer version of Openelec (r11170) and it's much better. Outputs 1080p over the network (running Serviio), however, now I get lots of white noise which is annoying.

I'll try and find some newer builds over the weekend, my problem is that I don't have Linux so can't compile them myself.

Associate
I have now got raspbmc up and running! No sound though :(

Just tried an MKV and its working! A little lumpy though. Not bad for a tiny thing though.

Make sure you have the audio settings configured correctly. I don't have an A/V amp, so I have to turn off the Dolby Digital and DTS receiver options (System -> System -> Audio Output).

Back
Top Bottom