Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Got one today, installed raspbmc and it's working fantasticly - playing every video I am throwing at it, ones with codecs which my Apple TV struggled with under xbmc as well. Not found one video that has a problem. The only 'issue' is that if you go into the menus while a video is playing then it will probably cut out a bit, this is solved by pausing the video if you want to mess in the menus. Really pleased so far and will definitely be sticking one of these behind the TV to replace the Apple TV 2 and the nettop I use downstairs.

Incidently I had a few issues with the SD card at first and some other distributions, it's a Samsung 32GB class 10 'essential' SD card. Worked fine with raspbmc though (dd an image to prepare the card and it installs from there).

Heres a video of it booting:
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&feature=vm&video_id=2PI5DK8z1Co

Airplay in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBMjmnVWJ4

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Shall get this today \o/ still waiting on sd card (few posts back for class 10 one) But still might get another at work to tide me over.

Need a project or something as ill have no internet for 3 weeks (moving flat on Sun) :(

Bry

Bry

Associate
anyone know any good remote controls for this? Using my phone is ok but would really like a proper remote but, i dislike infrared remotes. My old popcorn media player had a RF remote which was fantastic are there any similar non infrared remotes that can be used with this?

Associate
Shall get this today \o/ still waiting on sd card (few posts back for class 10 one) But still might get another at work to tide me over.

Need a project or something as ill have no internet for 3 weeks (moving flat on Sun) :(

Can you tether your phone to your PC, pad etc using your mobile internet ?

Kenneth.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another bit of great news for me about the Pi is that the USB on my Samsung TV seems to power it fine, so thats one less power cable to worry about and much more self containment. This is much better than I thought.

Soldato
This really is the gift that keeps on giving. I noticed on my Samsung TV that it say the Pi is an Anynet+ capable device. This means that you can use HDMI CEC to control the Pi via your TV remote! Just need to build support into my system now and then it's sorted - a few have got it working on the Raspbmc forums. A job for the next day or so when I get time.

Soldato
I wish I wasn't such a noob, there are a couple of things I know are possible that I want to do but don't know enough to get it done :(

Namely hdmi-cec and spotyxbmc2 in raspbmc.

If anyone feels like spoon feeding a noob it would be much appreciated lol :)

Associate
I wish I wasn't such a noob, there are a couple of things I know are possible that I want to do but don't know enough to get it done :(

Last time I checked there wasn't an HDMI-CEC driver available for the chipset, so we're out of luck there unfortunately.

MP4 said:
what about leaving it to crunch data for seti etc?
Probably a waste of time, the CPU is comparable to a Pentium 2 so you'd be better off running for a half hour per day on a modern machine...

Associate
You can tether using usb cable as well , sorry team fortress nope not me, although was in a clan for quake ctf long time ago clan was not mine he was from Manchester who ran the clan.

Kenneth

although I play Battlefield 3 a lot and not in clan;)

Last edited:
Soldato

If I have time to get it done before it appears in a release then I'll create an image for you.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Sigh, after all that

despatched on 08/06/2012
Summary details of the consignment you've enquired about are displayed below.
Consignment number:
IL********
Service:
Express 24
Parcels advised:
Parcels collected:
Parcels delivered:

24hrs my ............
Not inc Saturdays it seems...

Why use parcel force ffs.... hence why its 3 week delivery

Last edited:
Associate

I've yet to get spotify working properly yet, it keeps crashing :( But the latest build of openelec does have hdmi-cec control and it worked just fine with my samsung TV.

Back
Top Bottom