Raspberry Pi Flightrader24 receiver

Soldato
I bought a non working FM radio separate from fleabay. took out the insides and mounted a raspberry pi. added some random flashing lights for the radio station display and put some vinyl stickers over the other text. the Power button works, i hacked it off the main PCB and attached some USBC bare ended cables. 3d printed a little backplate for the fan and put a pass through hole in for the USB C power and the Antenna. i just have go get an external antenna. oh and hot glue everywhere

nzEdMq6.jpg

6wq1x7G.jpg

9OYBPSL.jpg

hhToOsX.jpg

DGDtbaO.jpg

Associate
Bespoke and retro. Some classy upscaling there to be proud of, well done!

How big antenna do you need/are going to go for?

Enjoy the hobby! Always thought of dabbling in scanner/HAM. Prepping for any loss of internet comms

Commissario
How big antenna do you need/are going to go for?
Because ads-b is at 1090 MHz, the aerials are pretty small.

Mine's mounted on the top of my ham radio mast. I've actually taken my main aerial off so it's just the ads-b aerial up there at the moment and it looks a bit bare.

Aerial shown by the red arrow, the receiver itself is in the box that the yellow arrow is pointing at.

vQuFKcM.jpeg

I bought a non working FM radio separate from fleabay. took out the insides and mounted a raspberry pi. added some random flashing lights for the radio station display and put some vinyl stickers over the other text. the Power button works, i hacked it off the main PCB and attached some USBC bare ended cables. 3d printed a little backplate for the fan and put a pass through hole in for the USB C power and the Antenna. i just have go get an external antenna. oh and hot glue everywhere
Looks like a fun build but be aware that little SDR may not be the best choice of receiver.

Soldato
OP
Because ads-b is at 1090 MHz, the aerials are pretty small.

Mine's mounted on the top of my ham radio mast. I've actually taken my main aerial off so it's just the ads-b aerial up there at the moment and it looks a bit bare.

Aerial shown by the red arrow, the receiver itself is in the box that the yellow arrow is pointing at.

vQuFKcM.jpeg

Looks like a fun build but be aware that little SDR may not be the best choice of receiver.

I'll see how its runs with external antenna, if you know of a better receiver that i could put in there let me know model .

for the piddly ariel in doors its not to bad

AIRCRAFT SEEN

POSITIONS REPORTED

MAXIMUM DISTANCE
95 nm

HITS REPORTED

Commissario
I'll see how its runs with external antenna, if you know of a better receiver that i could put in there let me know model .
If you're putting an outside aerial then the sky's your limit really (badoom-tish).

Look for the FlightAware Pro Stick Plus, it has a filter and a pre-amp built in and you'll notice a huge difference once you get a bigger aerial and with the latest version of the FA software managing the gain itself, there's very little tweaking to do.

You should do quite well from your location, you're close enough to LHR that you'll pick up a lot of the traffic in and out.

Back
Top Bottom