Re-pointing Patio

Soldato
Afternoon,

What’s the favoured approach for this? I’m aware that wet / resin mixes and also dry mixes exist.

The patio in question is a natural sandstone.

Relatively competent DIY’er but tips/experience welcome.

Thanks

Associate
I have used Marshalls Weatherpoint 365 and was impressed by it. It's not cheap, but it saved me a lot of time and mess and easily survives the jetwash.

Dave

Associate
I have used Sika Fastfix All Weather Jointing Compound Grey 15kg, no issues other than I ran out halfway through so the patio needs washed again. It's on my lock down list though :)

Soldato
OP
I’ve actually got about 9 or 10 slabs which need to be relaid too.

Having removed some of the broken pointing this morning some of the cavities are quite large and I think in my case using a ready-mix will be expensive, with most of it disappearing!

what’s the recommended sharp-sand/cement mix for relaying and repointing?

sand/cement
4/1 for laying?
3/1 for pointing?

Soldato
My patio pointing is awful on my new place, the previous owners seem to have done a bit of a DIY job on it and the pointing is falling apart. Don't think they used enough cement as the pointing is really soft, probably used too much sand.

I may have to live with it for a while though, I'd like to sort it out but spent a lot on the inside already, so the outdoor part can probably wait until things get a bit clearer with the corona situation as well.

Soldato
OP
My patio pointing is awful on my new place, the previous owners seem to have done a bit of a DIY job on it and the pointing is falling apart. Don't think they used enough cement as the pointing is really soft, probably used too much sand.

I may have to live with it for a while though, I'd like to sort it out but spent a lot on the inside already, so the outdoor part can probably wait until things get a bit clearer with the corona situation as well.

Mine has lasted 5-6 years and like yours I think the mix was too sandy in some places and perhaps some plasticiser may not have been used (or not enough). Or it could just be that it has settled beyond the natural tolerance.

I'll let you know how I get on, one novice to another.

Soldato
Mine has lasted 5-6 years and like yours I think the mix was too sandy in some places and perhaps some plasticiser may not have been used (or not enough). Or it could just be that it has settled beyond the natural tolerance.

I'll let you know how I get on, one novice to another.

Sounds like a plan! My previous patio was porcelain on top of a cement base with an ez-joint mix pointing compound.

I'd like to have the same kind of thing again, because the current patio has lots of problems with ants under the slabs and weeds.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow actually!

Soldato
OP
I think I've been fortunate in that though I did ask for mine not to be spot-bedded, it was in probably around 60% of places.

Despite this I've had no rocking or problems with insects in cavities nor any slabs crack. I did get what I paid for so this isn't a complaint!

Planning to break up what bed remains with a bolster, mix (sharp/soft/cement/plasticiser) & re-lay the slabs then repoint once I'm certain they aren't coming unstuck.

I'll pick up a mortar gun too as I've also got a retaining wall & planter which needs re-pointing and it seems to be the quickest and least frustrating way of getting the mix where it needs to be and not everywhere else.

There's also some cleaner/lichen remover on the way as I have some minor black spots which haven't (and won't) pressure wash off. Then some sealer as I don't think I ever did seal/restore the stones. / derp.

Soldato
Holy thread revival, batman!

Finally might be sorting mine out, @BennyC how is yours holding up?

Had a quote in for someone else to come sort it out though as I'm really not into DIY that much. I have about 60 sqm of patio and the quote I've had is a grand, not sure if it's good or bad but based on "how much does it cost to get a patio re-pointed" the benchmark seems to be £10-20/sqm, so it's somewhere in the middle.

I'll see if I can get it jetwashed and all the weeds in the gaps sprayed etc as well. Just need to tide this over for a few years until I can get the garden sorted out properly.

Soldato
OP
So so, I had to re-do a fair few areas and others have started to rock.

Most likely user error in the ratio of mix I've used. Some bits of the original are still holding strong.

Some other slabs are rocking a little but not much underfoot.

As it happens, I'm moving so not much incentive :o

Back
Top Bottom