Read only filesystem?

Soldato
I have recently done an upgrade on one of my setups.

Its MINT v21.1

It has 3 Drives

SSD = /
HD1 = /home
HD2 = /home/data

I did a format on the SSD and HD1 and just added HD2 as /home/data, as this has much data, including my Steam folder, and Media etc etc

The thing is, that I am now unable to write onto this partition as its a READ ONLY File System.

Now, I cannot use the old CHOWN / CHGRP commands as its saying the whole filesystem is ReadOnly.

How do I change the whole thing to be Writeable?

Soldato
OP
Ah yeah, there are Errors it seems??

sudo fsck -Rf so it avoided the root as the filesystems needed to be unmounted.

Seems to have done something...

I also cleared the DirtyBit and so that may very well stop the info coming up about fixing errors...

I have had a quick play and its all writeable now.

Moment of truth is after a restart

Oh, and yes, I do have it set to mount in the fstab thanks.

Soldato
OP
What? I just replied and its not saved?

Anyway, yeah, I did a check, I needed to use -R to avoid root and it found a few questionables... It also told me of the Dirty bit and I had forgotten about that, so that was cleared.

I shutdown and restarted and everything is as it should be. Simple, but Im simply not being mentally strong as of late it seems.

Many thanks.

Soldato
OP
Oh sod.. Its back to what it was!

Ok, here is a thought...

I have 2 PCs setup with Linux, and 2 Laptops.

The Laptops are fine, and I have had ZERO issues with them, but to be fair, one is just a basic I5 and the other is my old ASUS ROG and its a darling.

Now, both the PCs have both given my Hard Disk issues in the last couple of months. They both use an SSD and 2 HDs and they are both setup in the exact same way :-

SSD = / and Swap
HD1 = /home
HD2 = /home/data

One is a Sabretooth x99 with a 6 core I7 @3.5Ghz and 32GB with an nVidia 970 in it, the other is a Sabretooth FX with an AMD 9590 @ 4.7 again with 32GB, but with an ATI 580, and so they are not that far off being similar specs. They both have upgraded to Mint Cinnamon 21.1 and they are both setup roughly the same.

And both have given me HD issues.

I thought the I7 one had HD errors and so I just wiped the lot and for a bit of a giggle, used the chance to play with Windows again... The HDs all seemed to be fine and no issues came up and I even ran a long disk check on the disks and everything seemed fine? - I have chucked Linux back onto it and so far, its been perfectly fine.

Now, all of a sudden, the AMD has started to do this...

Most of the stuff that I have on these Machines are backed up, so wiping them is not a problem, and the /home/data drive seems to be the one that is questionable, and this I did NOT wipe, I simply added back once it was reinstalled.

So, I am going to give this machine a full re-wipe, all the disks and see where I get?

Maybe there is just a conflict thats getting through?

I think I might give a different distro a chance for a bit now too!

Soldato
OP
Ah no, bugger me sideways... The HD seems to be failing.
Im going to take it out and swap it for another.

One minute its fine and the next its telling me that its READ ONLY and then 2 seconds later some files are ok and then some are Read only, all in a few moments of each other.

Back
Top Bottom