Reboot during gaming.

Associate
I have Corsair gold 1000W PSU Modular. During gaming in Tekken 8 And lord of the fallen the PC will reboot almost at the same scene, not always. Sometimes I can get further or not as far it last automatically reboot. I downloaded CUPID HWmonitor which i do not see it over heating. GPU hit 82 in the hot spot. CPU barely hit 70. I am heading toward PSU failing. I have done a clean install and just loaded Tekken & Nvidia Drivers. Still same issue. It reboot in the middle of a fight.
GTA V work ok. I might download BF 2042 see what that like. What I'm asking without access to another PSU what can i do to eliminate that the PSU is not giving the power my PC need of failing?
Also if there anything i can download that record temps of all parts before it crashed :)
Spec
Kolink KL-1000M 1000W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply this is only 5 years old

i7 8700k CPU HT is turned off
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Updated BIOS last night too
16Gb of RAM DDR 4
2080 TI RTX

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am confused, you start off saying that you have a Corsair gold rated modular 10000w yet below you state that you have a Kolink KL-1000M. Which do you actually have? If it's the Kolink it doesn't matter that the psu is only 5 years old as it's garbage. It was never a 1000w psu to start with having only 840w on the 12v rail. If you look on the label even Kolink recommend not exceeding 850w 24/7. The internals are the cheapest of the cheap and I am surprised it lasted this long. If it's the Corsair then most of their psu's are of a very high quality with the best ones getting a 10 year warranty. I suppose it could have developed a fault and at that point in the game the gpu is drawing a particularly high amount of power or spike in power and something is tripping and forcing a reboot but I would probably be looking elsewhere. If you have a multimeter you can check power draw over the rails easily enough and there are plenty of guides how to do this on the net.

How is the gpu powered? Is it by a single lead using the two daisy chained connectors on it of a pair of seperate leads?

When did this start happening, before or after the bios update? If it was after then the update has probably caused a problem somewhere. Did you clear cmos after the update and re-entered your settings? Do you have any entries in windows Event Viewer?

If you download HWInfo and start ir before gaming you can activate logging which I believe you can take a look at after a reboot has happened. If I remember right Afterburner can do this as well but HWInfo is more thorough.

Man of Honour
What I'm asking without access to another PSU what can i do to eliminate that the PSU is not giving the power my PC need of failing?

It reboot in the middle of a fight.
GTA V work ok.
If you suspect that a very high GPU load is causing a power problem, then you could power limit and/or underclock your graphics card, or if you are playing without a frame cap, set one @ 60 fps (or lower).

Soldato
id run a prime 95 then furmark see if you can get them to crash the machine, then maybe try with 1 memory stick then the other... if it still crashes after that... flash the latest bios, after that you really need spare parts to narrow it down

Associate
OP
I am confused, you start off saying that you have a Corsair gold rated modular 10000w yet below you state that you have a Kolink KL-1000M. Which do you actually have? If it's the Kolink it doesn't matter that the psu is only 5 years old as it's garbage. It was never a 1000w psu to start with having only 840w on the 12v rail. If you look on the label even Kolink recommend not exceeding 850w 24/7. The internals are the cheapest of the cheap and I am surprised it lasted this long. If it's the Corsair then most of their psu's are of a very high quality with the best ones getting a 10 year warranty. I suppose it could have developed a fault and at that point in the game the gpu is drawing a particularly high amount of power or spike in power and something is tripping and forcing a reboot but I would probably be looking elsewhere. If you have a multimeter you can check power draw over the rails easily enough and there are plenty of guides how to do this on the net.

Sorry yeh it a Kolink KL-1000M.
How is the gpu powered? Is it by a single lead using the two daisy chained connectors on it of a pair of seperate leads? Single leads using 2 daisy

When did this start happening, before or after the bios update? Before !

If it was after then the update has probably caused a problem somewhere. Did you clear cmos after the update and re-entered your settings? No? is this necessary ??

Do you have any entries in windows Event Viewer? Got a few, going to play the game now and get bacck with the latest as as some errors eseem repeated but can't be sure it when it reboots

If you download HWInfo and start ir before gaming you can activate logging which I believe you can take a look at after a reboot has happened. If I remember right Afterburner can do this as well but HWInfo is more thorough.

Associate
OP
id run a prime 95 then furmark see if you can get them to crash the machine, then maybe try with 1 memory stick then the other... if it still crashes after that... flash the latest bios, after that you really need spare parts to narrow it down. I try this and latestt BIOS was installed to see if the issue stop. sadly it did not solve this

Associate
OP
So i get these errors at the excat time it crash
Application - Warning 03/02/2024 18:04:59 WMI 63 None
System Warning 03/02/2024 18:07:08 DistributedCOM 10016 None
Critical 03/02/2024 18:04:54 Kernel-Power 41 (63) -- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Error 03/02/2024 18:04:58 EventLog 6008 None - The previous system shutdown at 17:44:56 on ‎03/‎02/‎2024 was unexpected.

All i get around time it crashed

Soldato
So i get these errors at the excat time it crash
Application - Warning 03/02/2024 18:04:59 WMI 63 None
System Warning 03/02/2024 18:07:08 DistributedCOM 10016 None
Critical 03/02/2024 18:04:54 Kernel-Power 41 (63) -- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Error 03/02/2024 18:04:58 EventLog 6008 None - The previous system shutdown at 17:44:56 on ‎03/‎02/‎2024 was unexpected.

All i get around time it crashed

if i was testing the machine id do a clean windows install, flash the latest bios and reset to default settings, re-seat ram and any add in cards - AND power connectors, take them off and put them back, test with 1 ram stick if possible (and if it crashes test with the other)... try and crash the machine with prime95/furmark (because its jsut easier / quicker).. if that was not possible play some games after that you need someone to swap out parts.. id guess psu... but it could be mobo / gfx card.. or maybe compatibility issue ..

its always worth jsut taking everyhting apart and testing outside the case - dont sit the mobo on the case (in case you manage to short something) i put it on someting non conductive like cardboard

Associate
OP
if i was testing the machine id do a clean windows install, flash the latest bios and reset to default settings, re-seat ram and any add in cards - AND power connectors, take them off and put them back, test with 1 ram stick if possible (and if it crashes test with the other)... try and crash the machine with prime95/furmark (because its jsut easier / quicker).. if that was not possible play some games after that you need someone to swap out parts.. id guess psu... but it could be mobo / gfx card.. or maybe compatibility issue ..

its always worth just taking everything apart and testing outside the case - dont sit the mobo on the case (in case you manage to short something) i put it on someting non conductive like cardboard
Hi Did a re install last night and updated the BIOS. Still same issue. I played BF2142 and it was fine and setting on high.

Soldato
I've recently had a similar experience.

Games would hard reset on the main menu most the time but occasionally run, once a fortnight I'd get a hard reset in a work call, furmark and prime would pass no problems, all drivers and BIOS reset and updated, took the system to pieces (including reseating the CPU) and rebuilt checking all connections etc etc. Eventually I ran out of things to test and bought a new PSU.

Its been rock solid since :)

Don't shortcut the steps suggested by others above. Go line by line, check everything carefully...then ditch that Kolink! :D

Associate
OP
OK - I reseatted the cables, still same issue. turn the graphic setting to low and move it to medium and all ok. Soo guessing it bad software or optimizing issue

Associate
OP
Is the GPU powered by one cable from the PSU from which you have pigtailed both 8-pin power plugs, or by two cables each with one plug connected? The latter is much the preferred configuration.
So two the pig tails not a good Idea then? I do think the graphic car can handle it but why I asdu.e the PSU was the issue. I thought it failed or GPU was power hungry and the PSU can't give it

Associate
Had similar issue with smaller Wattage Kolink, the unit was not happy after 2-3 years of regular use.
However, Id also check RAM, as I had similar behaviour from a dodgy stick after an upgrade.

Soldato
If the GPU is Furmark stable then you're unlikely to have a PSU or GPU fault. I lean towards memory errors. Try running memtest or Prime95.

Man of Honour
It could still be the PSU. Furmark is a power virus, but it applies a constant load. This is different than playing a game where one can get spikes.
If I recall correctly, the 2080ti can have power spikes up to 400w and the power spikes may cause the OCP to trip, and hence causing the random reboots.
Unfortunately the only way to test that theory is with another PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
It could still be the PSU. Furmark is a power virus, but it applies a constant load. This is different than playing a game where one can get spikes.
If I recall correctly, the 2080ti can have power spikes up to 400w and the power spikes may cause the OCP to trip, and hence causing the random reboots.
Unfortunately the only way to test that theory is with another PSU.
Yes ^ this

I also suspect transient spikes are the issue and the PSU can’t handle them.

Furmark is just a total power draw app and games almost always draw less power than Furmark but because you’re switching from one scene to the next with different characters and textures and animations, you get spikes in the power that the GPU needs and that can often trip a bad PSU.

I would replace that PSU in a heart beat.

Soldato
I have Corsair gold 1000W PSU Modular. During gaming in Tekken 8 And lord of the fallen the PC will reboot almost at the same scene, not always. Sometimes I can get further or not as far it last automatically reboot. I downloaded CUPID HWmonitor which i do not see it over heating. GPU hit 82 in the hot spot. CPU barely hit 70. I am heading toward PSU failing. I have done a clean install and just loaded Tekken & Nvidia Drivers. Still same issue. It reboot in the middle of a fight.
GTA V work ok. I might download BF 2042 see what that like. What I'm asking without access to another PSU what can i do to eliminate that the PSU is not giving the power my PC need of failing?
Also if there anything i can download that record temps of all parts before it crashed :)
Spec
Kolink KL-1000M 1000W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply this is only 5 years old

i7 8700k CPU HT is turned off
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Updated BIOS last night too
16Gb of RAM DDR 4
2080 TI RTX
i had the same issues with the rebooting tekken 8 and Robocop rogue city newest drives this happened with i have even went out and bought a new nzxt 1200 watt psu hoping that this doesn't happen anymore..

Back
Top Bottom