reboot under load

Soldato
So CPU, ram and monitor are new rest of the system as been solid for a long time but the new CPU and higher res screen as let the other handwear stretch its legs so i dont know what to blame

CPU - 5700x3d
Ram - 32gb Trident Z 3600mhz cl18
mobo - MPG edge x570
GPU - 4070s Aorus
PSU - RM 750x

im running Testmem5 now. its a strange one, my oldest son was playing for hours then just black and reboot

temps are all fine from what i can see and thats normally the reason for just black in my experience

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd turn off XMP and/or downclock the graphics card and see if it runs stable.
Yer I’ll give that a go.

I would probably guess it's the CPU imc not able to run 3600c18. Get pumping with the voltages :)
I really can’t see this been the problem. Back in the day yes. But now we the newer cpus.

I have 2 3600’s one dose 3600mhz and the other max’s at 2800mhz. But surely that should be a history now.
I was hoping for some OC room

Last edited:
Man of Honour
up to you.
if the system was previously stable and now throwing problems, in the vast majority of cases it would be the new additions that are the problem.
running at stock without xmp is the alternate way of having more voltage to run at a certain speed lol

Soldato
OP
I’ll test with out xmp and I’ll test the ram in a different system if that’s the problem I’ll RMA the cpu, I don’t feel running under 3600 is acceptable

Man of Honour
well amd has never guaranteed 3600 and it's considered overclocking and so, you're in the hands of the #siliconlottery gods

Soldato
OP
Yes bios was done before the chip end it.

nothing is Over clocked apart from the xmp.
When I get home I’ll test without xmp. I can’t get the system to black screen. It just at random.
I was thinking psu. But 750w should be fine.
in games the GPU would sit at about 50% usage and the new cpu I now see 100% load and about 70% on the cpu, I thought maybe the new load could be doing the psu

Man of Honour
Is the PSU ATX3.0?

Your symptoms might be related to micro-'power spikes'. My PC kept on dying at load, screen to black _ > reboot... and it was impossible to determine... because on paper, I was under the watt rating of the PSU. That issue drove me bananas! A new ATX3.0 PSU sorted it.

This applied to my 3090 which is notorious for causing this issue... not sure your new components are causing this but the symptoms sound the same.

Soldato
The 4070 sips power, I have a 4070s running on a 5 year old Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w with zero issues. Unless the PSU is faulty I highly doubt it's an issue.

My money is on the RAM, I'd not get too hung up on running at max speeds on it either. The X3D chips don't really care that much about ram speeds.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If it helps you at all, I couldn’t replicate that PSU ‘power spiking’ issue at all via tests / benchmarking. It was only in game. It’s for such a short period of time that it’s undetectable by monitoring software… which is why it’s such a nightmare to spot.

Also, when it did reboot there was sort of a ‘click’ sound - which is apparently common when a PSU is doing a safety reset but the absence of this noise doesn’t confirm it either way.

If you’ve done extensive benchmarking / tests and nothing is coming up, I think the ‘black screen / reboot’ is likely a PSU / power issue.

What does the windows error log say btw? It should record a fatal error.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If it helps you at all, I couldn’t replicate that PSU ‘power spiking’ issue at all via tests / benchmarking. It was only in game. It’s for such a short period of time that it’s undetectable by monitoring software… which is why it’s such a nightmare to spot.

Also, when it did reboot there was sort of a ‘click’ sound - which is apparently common when a PSU is doing a safety reset but the absence of this noise doesn’t confirm it either way.

If you’ve done extensive benchmarking / tests and nothing is coming up, I think the ‘black screen / reboot’ is likely a PSU / power issue.

What does the windows error log say btw? It should record a fatal error.

i will be gaming tonight for a few hours so im installing squads on this system to play with. see if i can get it to do the same

Back
Top Bottom