Recommend me a monitor arm

Soldato
I find the Alienware stands too bulky and I've got the new 32" OLED coming so would like an arm which clamps to the rear of my desk. I've not used a monitor arm before so any recommendations would be appreciated...

My desk has a wall behind it. I'm guessing this won't be an issue because the arm can just be rotated anyway?
I don't want the monitor to sag, wobble or bounce.
Would be nice to keep cables tidy.
Easy to remove/attach the monitor to
Usual/expected adjustments should be easy to make

Budget is not an issue per-se, but if one is a lot more expensive than another I'd really like to know why. If the extra benefit is worth the extra cost than that's fine, but I'm not looking for anything fancy, it'll be hidden behind the monitor most of the time anyway

Last edited:
Associate
i have the same screen orderred, cant wait to jump from ips to oled.
have a large 4cm deep wood top desk in my room.
ordered this from the rain forest, and a 5m display port 2 cable.
was more then the entry level at £60 but i hope it will be sturdy and hold the screen nicelly, im thinking of trying to have some sort of support/spreader on top and bottom of the wood to increase stability and stop it damaging the surface. current though is to actually cut up the metal of an old computer case into small plates. I work in IT education so can just pull one out of the scrap pile and have a go. (core 2 duo win 4GB ram machines finally going, where sometimes q6600 and 8gb ram is considered not to bad :p)

PUTORSEN Ultrawide 17-45 inch Single Monitor Arm Desk Mount, Fully Adjustable Monitor Mount for Most Flat & Curved Screens, Two Mounting Options, Max Load 16kg,

Associate
How stable is your desk? I’ve got an Invision MX200 (£40) which is perfectly fine on a stable non-adjustable desk but wobbles on my height adjustable desk. The Ergotron LX is significantly more expensive (£150) but compensates for the minor movements of the height adjustable desk and is therefore less wobbly while typing.

Alternatively if you want zero wobble and have a wall behind you would you be open to a wall attachment one?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i have the same screen orderred, cant wait to jump from ips to oled.
have a large 4cm deep wood top desk in my room.
ordered this from the rain forest, and a 5m display port 2 cable.
was more then the entry level at £60 but i hope it will be sturdy and hold the screen nicelly, im thinking of trying to have some sort of support/spreader on top and bottom of the wood to increase stability and stop it damaging the surface. current though is to actually cut up the metal of an old computer case into small plates. I work in IT education so can just pull one out of the scrap pile and have a go. (core 2 duo win 4GB ram machines finally going, where sometimes q6600 and 8gb ram is considered not to bad :p)

PUTORSEN Ultrawide 17-45 inch Single Monitor Arm Desk Mount, Fully Adjustable Monitor Mount for Most Flat & Curved Screens, Two Mounting Options, Max Load 16kg,

It's tempting to go for that one but there are reviews saying the monitor starts drooping and looking at the design I don't think the single adjustment screw would hold it solid.

Looking at more it seems the higher priced ones have better designs where the monitor fixes to the arm so they don't slowly droop, they also allow easy connecting and disconnecting.

I thought getting an arm would be straight forward and around the £40 mark, but it's starting to look like £100 or so is needed for one which ticks all the boxes

How stable is your desk? I’ve got an Invision MX200 (£40) which is perfectly fine on a stable non-adjustable desk but wobbles on my height adjustable desk. The Ergotron LX is significantly more expensive (£150) but compensates for the minor movements of the height adjustable desk and is therefore less wobbly while typing.

Alternatively if you want zero wobble and have a wall behind you would you be open to a wall attachment one?

This one:

It's pretty sturdy, only wiggles when I bump it while moving my chair about.

I was thinking of a wall bracket, but would rather not as it's too permanent (although I'm aware polyfilla exists) :)

Last edited:
Associate
I find the Alienware stands too bulky and I've got the new 32" OLED coming so would like an arm which clamps to the rear of my desk. I've not used a monitor arm before so any recommendations would be appreciated...

My desk has a wall behind it. I'm guessing this won't be an issue because the arm can just be rotated anyway?
I don't want the monitor to sag, wobble or bounce.
Would be nice to keep cables tidy.
Easy to remove/attach the monitor to
Usual/expected adjustments should be easy to make

Budget is not an issue per-se, but if one is a lot more expensive than another I'd really like to know why. If the extra benefit is worth the extra cost than that's fine, but I'm not looking for anything fancy, it'll be hidden behind the monitor most of the time anyway

I've got a 27" OLED on the Herman Miller Ollin. It is expensive (and price seems to have gone even higher since I purchased). It's sometimes marketed as a 'gaming' monitor arm. But it's great. It clamps to rear of desk and has a quick release mechanism to remove the monitor. I have my desk directly next to wall and this has a feature that folds as flat as possible but prevents it swinging any further back past the edge of the desk (though you can remove this limiter if needed). Wires all tidy too.

I find it great because adjustments frequently needed transitioning between sit-stand. Once tension is set right on the arm (easy to do) it just needs a fingertip push.

Last edited:
Associate
my arm arrived today and got it test mounted on the front edge of the desk. went with two bits of good external plywood to spread the mount presure istead if hacking up any metal. seems solid but just loosly fitted and no monitor yet
will get the existing screen and cables sorted tomorrow and post some pix.
time will tell if it holds ok but im hoping it does :p
thanks
Dan

Soldato
OP
Do you tend to jiggle your leg much? I find that is one of the main sources of monitor wobble. So stop jiggling your leg.

Actually I do lol
I can't help it though, I was in a bad car accident 15 years ago and my leg will ache if I sit still too long. Jiggling my leg while I'm gaming stops this from happening :)

Associate
arm all fitted last night with existing Acer 27" IPS.
"PUTORSEN Ultrawide 17-45 inch Single Monitor Arm Desk Mount"
seems perfectly solid so far. tightned up the tension quite a lot to get the balance right and I can pull it out when im in bed to get the screen a net ~1.5m closer I think so nice win there
once the 32 arrives I think it should cover most of the slightly visable cables but that does not bother me too much. ill add the 32" OLED pix once that happens too.
the 5m display port 2 cable I got was quite thick but fitted fine along with power and usb in the cable managment. current screen is external transfomer btu i thin kdell is internal so std iec cable. should be fine too i hope
4m display port would have been fine too, but its coiled neetly behind the desk pedistal in a valcro tie
Google Album - Dans Monitor + arm Feb 24
Dan

Last edited:
Associate
arm all fitted last night with existing Acer 27" IPS.
"PUTORSEN Ultrawide 17-45 inch Single Monitor Arm Desk Mount"
seems perfectly solid so far. tightned up the tension quite a lot to get the balance right and I can pull it out when im in bed to get the screen a net ~1.5m closer I think so nice win there
once the 32 arrives I think it should cover most of the slightly visable cables but that does not bother me too much. ill add the 32" OLED pix once that happens too.
the 5m display port 2 cable I got was quite thick but fitted fine along with power and usb in the cable managment. current screen is external transfomer btu i thin kdell is internal so std iec cable. should be fine too i hope
4m display port would have been fine too, but its coiled neetly behind the desk pedistal in a valcro tie
Google Album - Dans Monitor + arm Feb 24
Dan
How do you find the arm in general if you slightly knock the desk or typing etc?
Does it wobble at all or is it pretty solid?

Associate
Another vote for the Herman Miller. The cheaper £40 Amazon ones tend to flex and are difficult to move. The HM is the opposite, less vibrations and far easier to move and reposition.

Associate
Another vote for the Herman Miller. The cheaper £40 Amazon ones tend to flex and are difficult to move. The HM is the opposite, less vibrations and far easier to move and reposition.
If you are willing to pay as much, I think its better to just go with Ergotron HX and have a true TOTL arm.

Associate
How do you find the arm in general if you slightly knock the desk or typing etc?
Does it wobble at all or is it pretty solid?
very happy so far with the mount, stability and flexability.
desk is pretty solid, if i hit it with the chair arms the screen bounces a bit, but not for long and cant complain.
seems good value and allows positioning in any direction.
Dan

Soldato
I find that many monitor arms have trouble holding larger monitors vertical: the ball joint between the arm and the mounting plate keeps slipping and they flop forward. I had trouble with both 27" and 34" monitors. I don't require the ability to move my monitors and have two 27" 4k monitors stacked one above the other on a Hemudu desk mount stand. It clamps to my desk. My only problem is that the monitors are of different depths so do not line up. Were they a matching pair it would not be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom