Recommend me some Desktop speakers

Soldato
I didn't consider that. I'm happy with what I've got. The sound is full, I just want a bit of extra depth for games.

Yeah I want something like this. Around 4 to 6 inches of lift would be sufficient.

I have the same ones. Fairly large top plate, so might look weird if the plate is larger than the speaker. More suited to medium sized standmounts (5.25"/6.5" woofer)

Associate
Given the speakers you are looking at are a bit more spendy these may be of no interest but I have the Presonus Eris 3.5 desktop speakers on a 80cm deep desk and they’re really pretty good. Small footprint, good sound from them and i think you can pick them up for about £80.

Soldato
For active near field monitors, you should be looking at bi-amp on each monitor.

For that budget would have gone Adam Audio t5v, then purchased an external DAC.

That said if your happy with what you've purchased that's also fine, you should lift them up to ear level, and get some isolation foam under them to help isolate from the desk.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm going to get some stands when I get round to it. Busy with garden landscaping atm while the weather is dry :)

These look a good size. Look pretty solid and simple. They're about 6 inches.

You want adjustable, just 1 inch of incorrect height will make a difference.

The Gear4Music ones Hornetstinger linked are the same as mine, they are not very pretty, but work really well.

Last edited:
Soldato
i Also have these bought them for £200 years ago at a retailer on special. great 5.1 sound with optical and a few EQ tweaks and you are good.
i mean where else are you going to get a full 5.1 surround sound set up for the price of one Q Accoustics speaker?

You'll want bigger drivers in than the speakers than the Logitech Z906.

Have you heard other speakers?

Associate
heard other speakers?
Yeah i have, i an not disagreeing that the QAcustics are better speakers. For the money the Z906 are ok. i am sure to Audiophile like yourself say they are probably cack. Depends what you want and what you are willing to pay for what. i'm happy with my current 5.1 setup it works for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Given the speakers you are looking at are a bit more spendy these may be of no interest but I have the Presonus Eris 3.5 desktop speakers on a 80cm deep desk and they’re really pretty good. Small footprint, good sound from them and i think you can pick them up for about £80.
Got a pair of these myself, paid £69.

Very good for the budget/size, if a little lacking on bass. Much nicer overall sound than my previous Logitech 5.1 set up (which I was running 3.1 because I didn't have room for the rears).

Got them sat on a pair of yoga blocks, which possibly reduce vibration a bit but definitely help in terms of height.
I couldn't really fit anything bigger on my desk and also wouldn't have wanted to spend much more!

(main TV setup is some Eltax floorstanders I got from my dad with a KEF Q2s centre and Wharfdale Loudpanels as rears, Office set up is a pair of KEF eggs running off a mini amp)

Soldato
The kanto yu or any in their lineup is worth a look too you might not need the sub unless you need sub bass absolutely. Most of the speakers go all the way to 60hz

I personally have the Yu2 on angled stands paired with sub 8 cannot describe how much of a difference this is compared to my old speakers

However the kanto yu active is also a very good choice or the yu4 active

Associate
OP
I'm quite liking the Q accoustics. At 1st I wasn't keen on the sound, but after breaking in, it's become better. Sounds good even at low volumes.
They do have some annoyances though. For example, they are overzealous with turning the internal amp off. Every time audio stops or pauses on Bluetooth or USB input, it turns the amp off which causes a click. So every time Spotify moves to next track, you stop and play Youtube, there's a click.
If you switch to analogue in, this is prevented since there's no amplitude checking to see if there's a signal coming in constantly, so the amp stays on. Not a massive deal, most of the other options were analogue only anyway. Also I mostly listen to long mixes or long live performances, rather than lots of small tracks.

Not sure they need a sub tbh either. The bass is subtle and clean, but just enough to round the music off on the bottom end to prevent it sounding weak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom