Recommendations for replacing MX518

Soldato
My aged MX518 is seemingly dying on me, the scroll wheel is working intermittently at best and I feel the time has come for me to replace it and I'm looking for suggestions please.

Years ago when I got the MX518 I tried using a wireless mouse but for my usage, a good bit of gaming but the majority being Photoshop/InDesign, I found the lag of wireless to be really irritating as it couldn't keep up with fast, multiple clicks and mouse moves in the design software (manual dust removal on old archive photos was so frustrating as the mouse couldn't keep up). I'm guessing things have probably improved but in truth I only use the mouse at my desk and my keyboard is wired so wired is probably the way to go still.

I love the shape of the MX518 so something similar would be great. Maybe some more programmable buttons would be nice but not super essential.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than about £40-£50. Any suggestions welcomed.

Soldato
I went from an MX518 to a G502 Lightspeed that I enjoy using so much I've also got a G502 SE Hero for use away from my main pc that if you shop about for should come in at the top of your budget.

Similar in shape, size and weight to your MX518

Last edited:
Soldato
I went from an MX518 to a G502 Lightspeed that I enjoy using so much I've also got a G502 SE Hero for use away from my main pc that if you shop about for should come in at the top of your budget.

Similar in shape, size and weight to your MX518

Same, I went from 518 to G502 then the lightspeed version. I can't see myself ever using a different mouse for gaming.

Soldato
If it is just scrolling the scroll wheel which is playing up, and not the middle mouse button or any of the other buttons, then it will almost certainly just be due to some fluff getting inside the mouse and blocking the scroll wheel sensor. Take it apart and clean it and it be as good as new. I has to do this several times on my 518's before the buttons eventually forced a replacement, which for me was the Logitech G MX518 Legendary. This is an exact physical clone of the original MX518, but with updated inwards and software. It feels identical to the original and still has enough buttons for my use.

Back
Top Bottom