Recovery Methods - Ice Bath?

Associate
Primarily aimed at running, but other sports would certainly come under this, does anyone use an ice bath for recovery? I'm tempted to get one for this along with the other health benefits.

Soldato
I've not considered it, but sometimes think it'd be nice. I think the size/space puts me off and how much it'd cost to run. However having just searched, it seems you can buy something that looks like a giant cool bag for ~£80 which seems pretty reasonable.

Soldato
I stuck a question on a Facebook advert.
Asked how well insulated it was and how cold it could keep water when in Spain at 30C.

Didn’t manage to get a response :(
As Begbie mentioned above, a lot of surfers use fridges or freezers in warm locations (Hawaii, Florida etc) so there must be a way to convert them.

As it happens, my question is along the same line. My other half got me a Lumi plunge pool/pod for my birthday, however getting it colder seems to be a pain.

Is it just serious amounts of ice?

Last edited:
Soldato
As Begbie mentioned above, a lot of surfers use fridges or freezers in warm locations (Hawaii, Florida etc) so there must be a way to convert them.

As it happens, my question is along the same line. My other half got me a Lumi plunge pool/pod for my birthday, however getting it colder seems to be a pain.

Is it just serious amounts of ice?

Seems to be the case, a lot of people suggest having a few bottles and filling with water/cool bag ice packs and freezing them to provide the cold and keep it re-useable, but i'm not sure how many you'd need.

Caporegime
Seems to be the case, a lot of people suggest having a few bottles and filling with water/cool bag ice packs and freezing them to provide the cold and keep it re-useable, but i'm not sure how many you'd need.

Use a chest freezer, seal it and add water. Turn freezer on and off till you hit the required temp.

Could even clad it in wood to make it look pretty.

Associate
During the beginning to middle of the last decade I used to run 5k three times a week and suffered with shin splints, I bought myself a cheap bin from Wilkos and I would chuck a couple of bags of ice in it and top it up with cold water, and then put my legs in. It would come up to just below my knees, I looked an idiot but it seemed to work.

Just started running again after a few years break and I am currently icing my calves and shins with two large ice blocks from the freezer, they are about the size of an A4 piece of paper and so far seem to be helping.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
After a run I use this to roll my legs in various ways, seems to help.

Bionix Muscle Roller Stick for Deep Tissue and Trigger Point Massage | Relieve Cramps, Soreness, Pain | Post-Workout Recovery Promotes Circulation | Legs, Back, Thighs, Arms (Green) https://amzn.eu/d/epGiMOA

SPG

SPG

Soldato
When I played Ice hockey the ice bath was a defacto when games were back to back (none of this oooooooooo i need a week off for running 90mins nonsense) Unfortunately ice bath work great for recovery but you need to jump in within 20mins of finishing off your exercise to get the benfit. It`s also one of those things where you have to build a tolerance for.

I hated it, give me a hot warm Jacuzzi that you spend 30mins in and come out looking like a prune any day of the week.

Associate
As I understand things an ice bath maybe gives you an extra couple of percent over a nice hot bath. if you're an elite then fair enough but for the vast majority of us.... hit the hot tub.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom