remote access software - windows - windows

Soldato
curious to see what everyone else is using for remote access.

i have a couple of machines at work i would like to be able to remotely access as and when require that are unattended.

easiest option for this?

Caporegime
We use Connectwise Automate, which is quite possibly the least intuitive and worst written piece of software I've ever used. The remote control agent is actually very nice, but my god the back-end is awful when you are used to using SCCM/MECM and Intune.

Soldato
I was lucky enough to get a splashtop personal license early on, and it still works really well for remote access.

Although now we're all working on laptops so no longer remote in.

Soldato
RUSTDESK
MESHCENTRAL
Apache Guacamole - uses RDP/VNC - its more a gate access control but still usfull.
Remotely
are some other options

i've used pcanywhere, teamviewer, dameware, RDP, teamviewer and beyondtrust, probably a few others as well..
i quiet like BeyondTrust they implemenet the multi monoor well, and some nifty fetures also.

it really depends how you intend to use the remote access and from where, and what fetures you think you need.
do you need paid support? do you want it self hosted? or hosted in the cloud? how technical are you? our you external coming in to internal network? do you need a vpn/do you use a vpn? is it ipv6?

tbh RDP internal is ok, but it is a known attack vector, so dont have rdp enabled on externally facing internet machine ! thats asling for problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's a work PC then I'd want a VPN with MFA as a minimum. It really depends on what hardware you have to achieve this. A VPN terminating on the router and then just use RDP to get to the PC's.

M.

Associate
Rustdesk is fantastic (open source), but you will need to deploy your own endpoint for it to be responsive/fast.

I also use Action1 but this also manages updates/deployments and is free up to 100 endpoints and has remote access built in.

Caporegime
Rustdesk is fantastic (open source), but you will need to deploy your own endpoint for it to be responsive/fast.

I also use Action1 but this also manages updates/deployments and is free up to 100 endpoints and has remote access built in.

Never heard of Rustdesk, but it sounds like something I want to try out, thanks!

Soldato
Used to use Radmin. Not needed it for years but found it very good. As well as a UI client also can connect to run command line commands and there's an FTP client I think. Not free however.

Last edited:
Soldato
VPN into a "gateway" box and then regular RDP in via local IPs only with 2FA handled by Duo.

RDP isn't particularly forgiving for client-to-server connectivity issues though - TeamViewer handles that best but I wouldn't expose it to the internet.

Last edited:
Associate
ZerotierOne plus remote desktop.
It's free .

It works really well, and I remote into my home pc when away by turning on zerotierone on my phone and then rd'ing in.

Back
Top Bottom