replacement IHD from octopus

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get a replacement IHD out of octopus energy?

Ours broke about a month ago, it lost connection to the smart meter and keeps rebooting every minute or so.

I've been through the troubleshooting on the octopus website and it keeps telling you that IHD's are rubbish and you should use their app instead, only their app doesn't do what and IHD does so i don't really understand the logic.. i've submitted the thing at the end of the troubleshooting 2 or 3 times now and it says 'someone will be in touch' but i never hear anything.

I want to be able to see my real time energy usage and as we have solar it's super handy to know how much we're generating to know what appliances we can run 'for fee' at any given time. All their app does is tell you daily readings which is totally different and pretty useless to me.

Soldato
maybe write to Greg and see if he can fix it for you [email protected] : a succint explanation, with what you want, and account#

( I'll be more interested to request an octopus mini, when I eventually get round to asking for smart meter install, for it's Home assistant integration,
finally out of the dark ages, with the capability to save live data;
not sure if the app you can use with that, too, to see live data is better, or just an extension on current one.)

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get a replacement IHD out of octopus energy?

Ours broke about a month ago, it lost connection to the smart meter and keeps rebooting every minute or so.

I've been through the troubleshooting on the octopus website and it keeps telling you that IHD's are rubbish and you should use their app instead, only their app doesn't do what and IHD does so i don't really understand the logic.. i've submitted the thing at the end of the troubleshooting 2 or 3 times now and it says 'someone will be in touch' but i never hear anything.

I want to be able to see my real time energy usage and as we have solar it's super handy to know how much we're generating to know what appliances we can run 'for fee' at any given time. All their app does is tell you daily readings which is totally different and pretty useless to me.
Do you not have an app for your solar that tells you everything?

Soldato
OP
Do you not have an app for your solar that tells you everything?

Nope the inverter just has a serial connection, so i could connect that to a PC (i did about 9 years ago when we first got it but quickly lost interest!)

I just like that the IHD shows it all in a nice simple display and easily shows if I'm importing or exporting. I really don't want to have to faff around opening an app on my phone when i can just glance over to the hallway and see.

Associate
I struggled to get traction until I mailed their hello at octopus dot energy and then a human replied and after a bit of confusion I got stuff happening. This was for a replacement gas meter (smart leaked, replaced with dumb, cue me contacting em), although they then replaced both and updated me to verson whatever and a new head unit too.

Caporegime
Just get a cheap Home Assistant compatible CT clamp and then you can have an app that shows you what the display does.

You could also have alerts configured so that you get told when you are exporting a specific kWh threshold.

Last edited:
Associate
I went through three IHD replacements (there are two models) and a new gas meter before Octopus finally fixed the issue with a speaking model intended for sight impaired users. It does had a good display and touchscreen.

Soldato
OP
Little update, me and the daughter decided to take the broken one to bits, after a bit of faff to pry the covers off and pick away at some epoxy over one of the screws we got in. The battery looked fine visually but i disconnected it from the board and it now boots up and finds my smart meter, i've ordered a new battery on ebay for £4 so hopefully that'll sort it.

Man of Honour
Our original stopped talking to our meters just over a week ago and I got on to Octopus via email who sent me out a replacement that arrived on Thursday. I plugged it in straight away and unlike the original which synced with the smart meters straight away this new one still hasn't connected to them. It displays messages of "connecting to smart meter" then "not commissioned" and just switches between them.

Commissario
Little update, me and the daughter decided to take the broken one to bits, after a bit of faff to pry the covers off and pick away at some epoxy over one of the screws we got in. The battery looked fine visually but i disconnected it from the board and it now boots up and finds my smart meter, i've ordered a new battery on ebay for £4 so hopefully that'll sort it.
Which one do you have? I’ve got the IHD3 and according to the manual, it’s supposed to have a battery but it doesn’t seem to have one. The charge indicator in the top right isn’t there and it goes off if unplugged.

Soldato
OP
Which one do you have? I’ve got the IHD3 and according to the manual, it’s supposed to have a battery but it doesn’t seem to have one. The charge indicator in the top right isn’t there and it goes off if unplugged.

Just checked and mines an IHD6, the battery that was in it is pretty tiny only 200mah. without the battery installed mine shows that the battery is full and is charging in the top right, but if i unplug it needs to set itself up from scratch which takes a couple of minutes.

AP1GczNCvcegs21jIeYyP8UaN2OWGp5rjzDvxpIv3cl7BLK7cNUxK2M7_lgyZ-majowxCnERr4vDAMDMVG8ZVSksh8AeZ0Uh8xDD2Rt6VGm5kIjcnK15yNu9O_ZiMg2Sq9AZAcCDHvmtkWW5u6fdCtI3B6B40w=w953-h1271-s-no-gm

Back
Top Bottom