Replacing the Motherboard

Don
Highly unlikely you will need to do anything.

Windows 7 onwards has been excellent when it comes to moving between hardware - it just detects and installs any missing devices on first boot,. B450 and B550 are so similar I doubt you'll have any issues.

Only thing possibly worth doing is downloading the Ethernet driver (assuming you use a wired connection) for the B550M, on the off chance that it's not a common one that's already included with Windows 10/11, as without it you won't be able to get online for Windows to find any missing updates.

Don
They are different chipsets
And?

The driver packs for chipsets these days are unified packs that support multiple chipsets
E.g. read the supported products

Even if not, then since Windows 7 onwards, windows has done a great job of detecting hardware changes, and replacing drivers on first boot to avoid any issues.

As someone who has moved existing windows 10 installs between Intel and AMD machines and back, it just works.

Soldato
I'd just give it a bash and see how you go.
In my secondary machine I recently swapped from a broken gigabyte z170 to a lower end gigabyte board and literally didn't need to do anything..
I'd probably grab Wi-Fi and/or ethernet drivers onto a USB stick as a precaution as you only realy need to ensure you can get online with the new board and once you are online you can do whet ever you need.

Associate
Do you need a new windows license when swapping mobos or will it remain activated?
Depends on your existing licence. If your current licence is OEM you will possibly need a new licence. If your current licence is retail you will not need a new licence.

Is my licence OEM or Retail?

Open a Command Prompt, type in “Slmgr /dli” and then press Enter. After that, Windows Script Host will pop up a window which will tell you whether your Windows is OEM or Retail

Last edited:
Associate
If MS can screw you over, they will. I had a retail license for Windows 11 Pro, and I was still forced to get a new key following a change of motherboard. Seems to be luck of the draw - go in expecting the worst ie. anticipate having to buy a new key, but if reactivation works then rejoice !

Last edited:
Associate
Depends on your existing licence. If your current licence is OEM you will possibly need a new licence. If your current licence is retail you will not need a new licence.

Is my licence OEM or Retail?

Open a Command Prompt, type in “Slmgr /dli” and then press Enter. After that, Windows Script Host will pop up a window which will tell you whether your Windows is OEM or Retail
Nice, I'm sure there must be another way to look it up but feels better going through command prompt :D

Associate
I needed a new license when I recently changed my motherboard. So expect similar.
This was my experience in the past but I thought maybe i had a dodgy Windows key since I don't think I've ever bought a "proper" key and mostly got them off places like cdkey. My current version is apparently recognised as retail so we'll see.

I guess the install is just linked to the OS drive? Could you change all the other components and still maintain your Windows install as long as you used the same drive?

Associate
This was my experience in the past but I thought maybe i had a dodgy Windows key since I don't think I've ever bought a "proper" key and mostly got them off places like cdkey. My current version is apparently recognised as retail so we'll see.

I guess the install is just linked to the OS drive? Could you change all the other components and still maintain your Windows install as long as you used the same drive?

When you activate a license with MS, a digital key is made and registered on their database. It's my understanding the motherboard is THE critical piece of hardware for verification of that key. Changing CPU or GPU isn't a problem at all.

Man of Honour
There have been a lot of changes @ MS with regards to activation since they deactivated Windows 7 & 8 keys and the ease with which you could re-use them in the past may no longer apply and the distinction between OEM & Retail seems to be less relevant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom