Resident Evil 9 coming January 2025

Soldato
Yep. Enjoyed that back in the day as a teen. Found that a lot more scary or I should say creepy than Resident Evil. The only thing that ever scares me with RE was in the first game when you see the zombie for the first time. By the time we got to RE2 it was not scary at all, was just fun with some jump scares like the dogs. I was a young teen back then.

Likewise, was right at that age where those games were a huge draw to me.

As much as I loved Resi, I always found things like Parasite Eve, Clocktower (hugely underrated imo), and Silent Hill to be far creepier. They had a way of keeping you on edge in ways that the RE series couldn't replicate.

Honourable mention to Fatal Frame, but that was a tad later and launched on the PS2.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Likewise, was right at that age where those games were a huge draw to me.

As much as I loved Resi, I always found things like Parasite Eve, Clocktower (hugely underrated imo), and Silent Hill to be far creepier. They had a way of keeping you on edge in ways that the RE series couldn't replicate.

Honourable mention to Fatal Frame, but that was a tad later and launched on the PS2.

Yeah. Silent Hill was a lot more scary and a harder game as I recall. I felt RE got the balance right back then. Scare me the right amount :cry:

Also there is scary which I like, then there is creepy which I am not a fan of so much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It’s up to 9 now bloody hell I’ve not played a Res Evil since 5 have I missed much?

Yes - you have!

6 is passable / skip - it was the conclusion of the ‘action focus’ part of the series and the least interesting.

7 was an entirely new approach, back to ‘horror’ with a first person perspective. Probably the most harrowing of the series.

8 continued on 7 adding more action to the mix. I think this was a really successful mix of styles - good game.

In addition, RE2 through to RE4 have been remade and modernised to play like RE5. Each has been good but the RE4 remake is the best of the lot (IMO).

I’d probably start with the RE4 remake or RE7.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Yes - you have!

6 is passable / skip - it was the conclusion of the ‘action focus’ part of the series and the least interesting.

7 was an entirely new approach, back to ‘horror’ with a first person perspective. Probably the most harrowing of the series.

8 continued on 7 adding more action to the mix. I think this was a really successful mix of styles - good game.

In addition, RE2 through to RE4 have been remade and modernised to play like RE5. Each has been good but the RE4 remake is the best of the lot (IMO).

I would agree with that. But 6 I would downgrade to avoid :D

Associate
I've not really liked the recent stuff other than the 2 & 3 remake. Never completed 8, just got bored with it.
I'm the same. The original 2 and 3 were two of my favorite games, anything after that, until the remakes, i struggled to get into. And its been the same after them unfortunately. I'll certainly give this a try none the less.

Associate
Yes - you have!

Much appreciated, an in depth reply.

Associate
Open world could work, how many mansions or sewers can they possibly use? Most series tend to run their course and fade away from their glory days.

If the atmosphere was good, with a bleak depressing world, it could be quite fun. Too much action going on in an open world ends up in a linear experience, ironically. Stalker did the openish world with zombies quite well.

Soldato
I would rather them try then get another Ethan game. Kind of had enough of that now. Try something new and get back the original cast or new cast that gels with the original.

Can't be worse than Resident Evil 6 surely.

6 was beyond awful and I loved 7 after that. In fact I nearly would have preferred 7 to avoid the Umbrella shoe horn in at the end. I enjoyed 8 but not as much as 7

As a fun aside, this video is very good and worth a watch. (It is inspired by original PSX Resident Evil)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom