• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Resolved - GPU RMA and legal advice

Associate
Hi all,

So my GPU (Red Devil 5700 XT) seems to have died after a crash while playing Lost Ark. It now won't POST and the MSI EZ Debug VGA led is on, it POST fine with my older GTX 670.

(Specs: Ryzen 3600, MSI Tomahawk MAX, Ballistix ram (2*8), Red Devil 5700XT)

I have tried to clear CMOS, refit the GPU (unplug/replugged) and the second PCI slot, all the same.

The item was bought as an Ex-display from ****** with a 90 days warranty last october (~5months) so they refused a RMA, I have emailed Powercolor too.
Now, can I still claim the Consumer Rights 2015 under 6 months faulty goods clause ? What are my options ? (I do not have the option to try another PC as I do not know anyone with a build* able to test a 5700 xt)

Thanks for your help!

*Edited for clarity

UPDATE::
Thanks everyone for your advice. The mention of the Cons. Right in an email triggered a RMA which led to a replacement order placed to the wrong address, called to change it before shipping but no exdisplay in stock so was offered a refund that has now gone to a closed bank account via paypal...

Can't be easy, can it? At least, now I can buy a new card with proper warranty!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you register the card warranty with Powercolor when you bought it ? You should have done. RMA to Powercolor.
I don't remember seeing a registration card in the box (just had another look), and nothing on the website either (I have used the invite code for the Devil Club however).

Apparently they go by S/N tracking and invoices (not allowing switching of ownerships).

Soldato
Hi all,

So my GPU (Red Devil 5700 XT) seems to have died after a crash while playing Lost Ark. It now won't POST and the MSI EZ Debug VGA led is on, it POST fine with my older GTX 670.

I have tried to clear CMOS, refit the GPU (unplug/replugged) and the second PCI slot, all the same.

The item was bought as an Ex-display from ****** with a 90 days warranty last october (~5months) so they refused a RMA, I have emailed Powercolor too.
Now, can I still claim the Consumer Rights 2015 under 6 months faulty goods clause ? What are my options ? (I do not have the option to try another PC as I do not know anyone with a build* able to test a 5700 xt)

Thanks for your help!

*Edited for clarity

I would try the 6 month consumer rights law and the warranty with Powercolor.

Soldato
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

*Edited for clarity

can ask the others, Always push Gigabyte on here. Aorus card for cheaper gets 4 Yrs UK RMA and rep support on here . Companies dont have to honor Warranty IF its B-Grade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as you were not the FIRST buyer , specially if they have gone and registered the card and no real fault logging has been processed between Reseller and Card Vendor.

I know how Gigabyte would react to this , but cant post . ASUS would reuse, specially if card was registered with another user.

Powercolor RMA isn't UK based and not even sure if its EU but Asia . OCUK have a good relationship with them but last RMA issue posted on this forum, OCUK didnt get a response to replace a Broken card to swapped the buyers card to another VENDOR .

If buy some miracle you heard from Powercolor and get a replacement/repaired unit..sell it

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £739.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
can ask the others, Always push Gigabyte on here. Aorus card for cheaper gets 4 Yrs UK RMA and rep support on here . Companies dont have to honor Warranty IF its B-Grade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as you were not the FIRST buyer , specially if they have gone and registered the card and no real fault logging has been processed between Reseller and Card Vendor.

He said it was ex display not b grade so there will be no first owner.

Soldato
He said it was ex display not b grade so there will be no first owner.

"Ex-display from ****** with a 90 days warranty"

Powercolor dont have to touch anything . RMA should always be through reseller, good brands do offer direct RMA. Cases for quick replacement with reseller is AIB ask them to give up stock and they will replace, normal method though is card is shipped off and replacement sent back so reseller doesn't lose stock.
If Powercolor see that its Ex-Displace they can just ignore claim/rma easily. Trading standards wont do anything to them. Two cases against MSI for laptop upgrade and CashBack scheme that took over 6 months to claim back have fallen on deaths ears .

Risk you pay with Ex-display/B-GRADE, dodgie resellers and no UK RMA .

Some companies will honor that Warranty in this case due to having reps that do their job and float on here... powercolor aint one of them :(

Soldato
Unfortunately its still second hand, first owner was the shop they took it out of the box.

Shop is the seller not the owner. If what you say is true no seller would allow you to open a box see the contents then put it back. Many do, eg Argos. I have bought ex-display that received full warranty. Just depends on the shop selling it and the manufacturer.

Risk you pay with Ex-display/B-GRADE, dodgie resellers and no UK RMA .

You have to weigh up the discount being worth it against the warranty you might get. B Grade motherboards have lasted me few years till I sell them on for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shop is the seller not the owner. If what you say is true no seller would allow you to open a box see the contents then put it back. Many do, eg Argos. I have bought ex-display that received full warranty. Just depends on the shop selling it and the manufacturer.

You have to weigh up the discount being worth it against the warranty you might get. B Grade motherboards have lasted me few years till I sell them on for example.

all depends on how the receipt is . If from Scam or Fbuyer then it'll be listed as Ex Display. Hence seal is broken and cant be sold full price. there is a trace back .
Some companies are nice, some aren't or

and Buy B-Grade mobo from certain vender and do RMA directly and your covered for longer then 90 days ;)

Associate
If they do this item should no longer be sold as new unopened and warranty in this cases are offered by shop not supplier. You might get case where supplier will RMA but in most cases as soon as they see B-grade/ ex-display on invoice they will tell you to go away.
Edit:Ex-display would have been opened by shop to display or (returned by someone), they can't just put it back in the box and sell as new.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you flicked the switch over to the other BIOS on the 5700 in case that is corrupt and try again?

https://bit-tech.net/media/image/2019/9/a5b1df1a-db18-474f-ae7d-9ec8da0f5ff3.jpg
Yeah I tried that too. I will try the card in the PC of my partner's brother this weekend as he got a gaming build with a psu beefy enough to handle it.

Thanks all for the comments. I do admit thinking I'd have the 1+ year long manufacturer warranty past the 90 days when I bought it... Lesson learnt!

Someone on reddit (Legal Advice sub) said that due to the way it was described (ie. Ex display, as new/minor cosmetic) I'd have a good case for a sub-6months Cons. Rights claim.
I'll try that if Powercolor tells me to bugger off.

"Open Box/Ex-Display Product is in nearly new condition but may have been opened or have minor cosmetic damage to box or product. Product is sold with 90 day warranty which supersedes any other reference to warranty within product title or description."

Last edited:
Soldato
Prob would be applied to Powercolor and not the reseller as if it's the reseller I'm thinking about, they have done that for 10+ years .

Good luck with Powercolor , but that demo unit could have been running 10 hours a day full throttle for a few months , more then your average gamer etc

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your advice. The mention of the Cons. Right in an email triggered re-opening of the RMA which led to a replacement order placed to the wrong address, called to change it before shipping but no exdisplay in stock so was offered a refund that has now gone to a closed bank account via paypal...

Soldato
Thanks everyone for your advice. The mention of the Cons. Right in an email triggered re-opening of the RMA which led to a replacement order placed to the wrong address, called to change it before shipping but no exdisplay in stock so was offered a refund that has now gone to a closed bank account via paypal...

Shame pricing on Gaming OC and Aorus have gone from £370/90 to £430/50 :(

Back
Top Bottom